best way to set up for cueing while using a 8 channel mixer

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
GERANIUM

Post by GERANIUM » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:20 pm

hi
i've been playing with ableton time for a while (its great!) and today i set up using a 8 channel audio card (esi gigaport) out into my old 8 channel mixer. (1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc.) important: the mixer does not have prelistening function.
i want to use this setup to cue loops and mix the together on the mixer.
how do i best set up ableton so i can cue tracks true headphones while still using all 8 channels on the mixer?
maybe this is not possible
thanks for any help and goodday...

cmcg37

Post by cmcg37 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:04 pm

I am also using the gigaport. I mix into a Mackie 1202 which has no cue function. I am using four stereo channels. It sounds like your mixer has no prelisten at all.

Do you have an Aux send that is pre-fader? If so, you could set up some kind of cue mix using this function.

If all of you sends are post-fader then you are stuck again.

You could come out of the headphone jack on the gigaport. This is Bus1&2 (stereo). If you went this route, you would only be left with 3 to 8 outputs (3 stereo, 6 mono).

I make all of my loops so I am pretty familiar with my content. I am getting better at looking at the waveform of a file I am wanting to trigger and setting up warp markers as needed. I am not DJing with Live so that is good enough for me. I don't need rock-solid cues.

Good Luck and best regards,

CMcG