Using audio mixer to control Live's playback live.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fuentes925

Using audio mixer to control Live's playback live.

Post by fuentes925 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:44 pm

I curently use a vaio lap top with a motu 828, since the 828 has 8- 1/4" outs I am considering making a sessions view set with 8 clip tracks and route each clip track to it's own input channel on a audio mixer, (small mackie mixer with chanel faders) to control the playback of Lives clip tracks in a live setting, also being able to route each channel to a aux send from the audio mixer is a plus for me since I could use a hardware reverb etc.. to free up cpu in Live. Any body using a audio mixer for fading in and out of Live's clip track in a live setting? any problems with this set up? How did it work for you? I am just looking for some helpfull advice before I spend the cash on a audio mixer.

cr

asd

Post by cr » Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:13 am

it works, but i'd get a control surface mixer combo....yamaha o1x or something

slickie

i am looking at doing a similar thing...but

Post by slickie » Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:50 pm

i am still researching the interface to buy. I want to record into live and then route each channel out to a separate mixer channel on my mackie - I am still looking at interfaces that have 8 outs. there are a few out there like the delta 410 card which is 200 bucks. could you tell me the benefits of having like the motu 828 which is 800 bucks when they both have the same 8 analog outs? Did you just purchase it for the firewire ability, and wouldnt a card be better than an external firewire since the card is "in" the computer or is firewire fastsest regardless of where it is (in or out of the computer) Just trying to gather info on interfaces and dont know whether to go with a card or firewire product. Thanks

fugu

interface options

Post by fugu » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:57 am

there's a ton of interfaces if you include the low end firewire interfaces (~$800). One i've got and really enkoy is the EzBus (http://www.event1.com) it's a digital mixer with 2tk usb, 8 analog ins, spdif 1 pair in 2 out and has ADAT light pipe, it's also a midi control surface and acts as a standalone digital mixer (going by mackie's math a 16x4 console but with 4 channels having 3 analog ins (6 stereo pairs over 4 channels, panned to be 2 stereo pairs)), it's not the leader in any of these functions but for ~$600 it's a really good mix of all of those functions (digi i/o, MIDI control, traditional audio Mixer) add a ~$150 light pipe card and you've totally blown by all the other sub $800 options.

Pairing it with my (old, tired) Mackie1202 I've now got more monitoring and aux routing options then i need (yeah, right, but it's opened a lot of options). Seriously it's a nice solution, I looked all over and it made the most sence, not the least of which is the MIDI control surface..enough to store 256 virtual channel strips..

check it out!

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:20 am

Are you shure that it is possible to route each track to a seperate output on your interface??

I tried to handle this problem, but I wasn´t sucsessful....

fugu

re: interface options

Post by fugu » Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:30 pm

yes on the EZBus you can route any input to any output, however there's only 4 primary analog outs (MainLR, AuxLR) and 2 analog sends (inc main outs, atotal of 6) plus headphones. Granted this isn't exactly the same as the straight channel strips in a normal analog mixer, adding an analog mixer makes it more then enough, and as the initial post mentioned, the cat's already got a mixer, andis looking for a digi i/o. My point is that is was also in this same position and for the same price or less as a MOTU828 I've got MIDI control and a nice standalone mixer. Did I mention the 8 channels of dynamics processing (PEQ, gate/limit/compressor)? yeah it's got that too.. anywhich way you put it, it's a deal.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:36 pm

Sorry, maybe my posting was not mentioned correctly....

I guess you can not route several outputs in LIVE.
LIVE offers just one main output device, so you can not route different tracks to different outputs to your soundcard....

It would be great, if you could be so kind telling me, if LIVE makes this feature possible to select various outputs or not......

If you know how to handle with this problem, I would be pleased telling me the right way.

fuentes925

Post by fuentes925 » Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:58 pm

If you have a ASIO sound card which supports multiple in and outs then it is possible for you to route independent Live tracks to independent outs of your sound card, but your sound card must support this or it will not be possible.

fugu

re: multi tracking out of Live

Post by fugu » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:06 pm

yeah, fuentes is correct, (while i'm coming at things from the Mac perspective, it'll be the same in any platform) any multi i/o card supported in Live should give you control over what channels go where.. Just above the channel fader is the channel I/O routing.. (remember Live's channels are stereo by default, so pan for single channel seperation!)