best soundcard for live use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rajcoont

best soundcard for live use?

Post by rajcoont » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:34 am

sorry for posting what im sure has been covered 100 times, but its too general to try and search for info on.....I have a motu 828 that serves me fantastically well in my studio, but the time has come to start playing live, and i cant be bothered to take the thing out gigging with me. Ideally i'd use my powerbook's audio out, but the jack is shitty and pops or loses sound often enough that that isn't an option.......so i am loking for a simple 2 or 4 out interface, in doesnt matter too much this will be a gig use only interface.....i want rock solid reliability....i have never looked into thismarket and wonder if people can recommend some good models/manufacturers.....low price is important but reliability far more so i dont mind spending a bit more for quality. i dont like the idea of USB, but if people have 4 simultaneous out on usb w/o a problem i'll consider it

the laptop is a 1Ghz 12" pb running 10.4

suggestions?

thanks

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:59 pm

no love peeps?

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:18 pm

I run 4 out and 4 in on a usb quattro with no problem for about the last two years.

I'm not sure if they make them anymore though.

Shop around a little for some models that interest you then stop back here and you should be able to do a more specific search based on a particular model.

Also drop by osX audio.

Best of luck

*edit - I did have one really bad problem with the Quattro. It was almost 2 years ago, January before last. There was a problem with a driver upgrade and I crashed live in front of a large group of people. It was not good. I did get it sorted though, needed to completely uninstall and re-install its drivers. i have to say though, the current m-audio drivers have been pretty reliale for me.

Montonn

Post by Montonn » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:33 am

RME Multiface.
Low Latency. Lots of options.
Great sound. Sturdy.