"drumbattle" game?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryansupak

"drumbattle" game?

Post by ryansupak » Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:39 pm

people in the Buzz Tracker community play a game called "drumbattle". it is a competition between two people to see who can sequence the best in a limited amount of time.

basically, each player gets 3 alternating rounds of 30 seconds (or any agreed-upon time) apiece, and they attempt to "top" the other person's previous attempt every time. in the Buzz version, one player gets the left channel and the other player gets the right channel. so, here is how the finished drumbattle would sound:

left channel @ 0 sec: drumming for 30 seconds, then stop (player A).
right channel @ 30 sec: drumming for 30 seconds, then stop (player B).
left channel @ 1 minute: drumming for 30 seconds, then stop (player A).
right channel @ 1:30: drumming for 30 seconds, then stop (player B).
left channel @ 2 minutes: drumming for 30 seconds, then stop (player A).
right channel @ 2:30: drumming for 30 seconds, then stop (player B).

in between rounds, the players post their updated version of the file - with their newest drum addition and all previous rounds - to the agreed-upon posting site.

there are, however, a few catches:

1) there is limited time per round. for instance, it might be agreed that each player only gets 30 minutes (or even 10 minutes!) to program their next 30 seconds.

2) players may only use the sound samples and FX that came with the original "project file". for instance, the only included sample might be the "amen brother" drumbreak. (of course, there are no limitations on how a player can chop it up and resequence it!)

3) also, the BPM for the entire batlle is specified beforehand.

after it is all over with, a third party judges the competition. it can be judged on a "best 2 rounds out of 3" basis or on a "who did the best overall job" basis. also, drumbattle is often done in tournament form -- where there are quarterfinalists who play each other, then semifinalists, etc... etc...

i thought, because of the self-contained nature of the files in Live, and the extreme speed with which things can be sequenced (much faster than Buzz, by the way) -- that the drumbattle game would be a lot of fun to play with Live.

instead of .bmx files (Buzz self-contained files), the players could save their additions as a Self-Contained set -- and instead of packaging FX with the .bmx (Buzz) files, it could be agreed upon that only the Live FX could be used.

also, instead of a player getting a certain side (left or right), each player could get 4 tracks and 2 sends apiece. there could be wavs that said "player 1" and "player 2" in alternating 30-second increments on Track 9 -- that way listeners could keep track of whose turn it was.

if there's any interest in drumbattles with Live, I could set the logistics (i.e. posting site, template files, etc...) up for it.

just an idea,
rs

mark0

Post by mark0 » Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:43 pm

wicked idea!

i reckon it would be possible to get some mad mash-up breaks going....
...am definately interested - have only got a shitty analogue internet connection though.... :?

ryansupak

drumbattle?

Post by ryansupak » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:24 pm

thats cool--if you dont embed the .wav files used in every transfer, the actual files that get shot back and forth are quite small.

rs

FrankH

cool idea

Post by FrankH » Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:15 pm

A sort of Live jam by the internet.
Maybe the RocketNetwork infrastructure can be used for this? They got the technolegie.

f

ryansupak

drumbattle

Post by ryansupak » Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:19 pm

or, when i have been involved with it in the past, something as simple as a yahoo!briefcase or an FTP site has worked fine.

anybody want to play a preliminary round, to help get the logistical kinks worked out? ive got a template file and we could arrange an AIM chat or an #IRC channel to use as a real-time meeting ground.

BTW, feel free to email me at ryansupak@hotmail.com or AIM me at ryansupak about it.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:18 am

bump

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:24 am

Stay tuned... :wink:

njh

Post by njh » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 am

what the hell was this thread about?

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:26 am

(much faster than Buzz, by the way)
well, not sure when it comes to drums programming and audio pattern resequencing, but could be cool by the way.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:56 am

Sounds like fun.
Best way as I see it is to just upload 30 second wavefiles to a server somewhere.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:29 am

Machinate wrote:Sounds like fun.
Best way as I see it is to just upload 30 second wavefiles to a server somewhere.
This idea is SICK

bump.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:21 pm

let´s do it !
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:02 pm

bump-O

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:26 pm

I'm so down for that.
dual g5 2.3 ghz 2500 megs of ram

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:56 pm

sign me up.

- fk.