Looping stomp box

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BDS

Looping stomp box

Post by BDS » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:41 am

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Help! About 6-8 weeks ago, I stumbled across a thread (I think it was here, or linked through here) about live looping pedals. Someone posted a link to a small black box with one foot switch, manufactured in europe (i think). I thought I had bookmarked the page, but apparently did not. Just one of the hazards of late night intoxicated surfing.

Anyway, if anyone remembers that link, I'd appreciate a response. Or, if I'm suffering from chronic liver fatigue and hallucinating, and you just happen to be familiar with a product that's similar, post a link.

I've searched the forum top to bottom, but couldn't find the damn thing.

Thanks for your help,

BDS

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:15 am

sorry cant b of any help regarding the specific loop pedal you are talking about, however you could get a footpedal midi controller and use it with ableton.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:22 am

I remember the one... I don't think it was discussed on this forum though... the folks on Loopers Delight gave it two thumbs down, iirc.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

BDS

Post by BDS » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:24 pm

gents -

thanks for the replies.

BDS

Kered

Post by Kered » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:39 am

This is an incredibly weird coincidence, but I was actually just listening to a sound sample of this pedal at the same time as coming across this thread:

http://www.zvex.com/junky.html

You can't beat Zvex when it comes to unique pedals!

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:51 pm

Live 3 with a FCB 1010 midi foot pedal smokes any hardware looping pedal hands down. Live 4-5 are still suffering from inadequate ways to have 100% capability to delete any flubbed loop on hte fly. Hopefully they will fix this by re-implementing true midi "select on launch"
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:24 pm

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:25 pm

Live 3 with a FCB 1010 midi foot pedal smokes any hardware looping pedal hands down. Live 4-5 are still suffering from inadequate ways to have 100% capability to delete any flubbed loop on hte fly. Hopefully they will fix this by re-implementing true midi "select on launch"
So this worked better in L3? ...bummer...

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:27 pm

continuous wrote: So this worked better in L3? ...bummer...
worked perfect in Live 3...With much bitchin' and moanin' on my part and a few others round here, Ableton "re-implemented" midi "select on launch" in the 5.0.2 betas, and now 5.0.2 proper, but it is nowhere near the 100% ALWAYS functionality of 3. In their 5 "re-implementation", midi "select on launch" only works when the highlighted rectangle is around the clip grid (as opposed to the effect/clip view, browser, etc.). If the higlighted rectangle is not "focused" on the clip grid, midi "select on launch" works for shit. This continues to make 5 worthless (or at least headache inducing and nerve-racking) as a live performance looping tool, at least for the way I work. Sticking with 3 until they fix this.

Along with the drastic changes to scrubbing and removing preset names from devices in 5, this is the biggest head-scratcher for me--why on earth did Ableton remove, then half-assedly re-implement such a totally useful feature??? Instead, they should've added a midi mappable "delete" key to make Live the ultimate looper right out of the box, instead of needing to use Bomes/ox (on pc) or midistroke (mac) to have the basic looping features present on simple hardware loopers, all of which allow you to undo an effed up clip, all of which recognize that no one is perfect. I'm still really stumped why Live, a "sequencing instrument", designed for live performance, still (after 5 versions) can't even replicate the basic functionality of a basic $250 hardware looper. They are missing the mark big time, and missing out on a whole other growing market of live looping performers. Most of these people are familiar with hardware pedals, and aren't perfect, and when the try Live 5 and even with Bomes/ox workarounds can't consitently delete flubbed clips on the fly, they move on. I really hope they get it right next time around, they are so close but so far without 100% proper midi select on launch (like Live 3), and self-contained midi mappable delete. Fix those, and Live has the basic features of hardware pedals, and a plethora of other capabilities that make said hardware loopers look like toys in comparison.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:20 am

I love when people talk about ableton as if they've totally missed the mark, simply cause they don't do things your way, in my mind they are one of the most popular programs around and definetly the fastest growing. I'm sure the features you want would be cool I just think it's funny to rant on as if they've managed to write useless software or something.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:09 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I love when people talk about ableton as if they've totally missed the mark, simply cause they don't do things your way, in my mind they are one of the most popular programs around and definetly the fastest growing. I'm sure the features you want would be cool I just think it's funny to rant on as if they've managed to write useless software or something.
whatever, do you think I've had Live since version 2 and posted 700+ times (when registered, plus hundreds more as a lazy "guest") because I don't like ableton---pleeze--it is clearly the best music software around, and my main "instrument" on stage in one of my bands (along with bass, guitar, keys, and drumkat for looping in Live). This isn't because they "don't do things my way", this is because they removed an essentially feature to live looping and live performance in general. See the thread in feature wishlist with thousands of views reguarding midi select on launch--I'm not alone in my opinions. Clearly I don't think they write useless software, I just think it is a bummer that they still haven't replicated the basic funcitonality of a hardware looper. I've performed scores of live gigs using my laptop, Live, and instruments to loop--the music I create and perform owes a lot to Live--if you'd been here longer you'd know I'm one of the biggest fan-boys of Live around (next to you, maybe), but I'm not going to sit here continuing to use 3 without at least making a strong case for re-implementation of features that were present in 3 making it BACK into the program.

Maybe you should re-read my post or something--they took a key feature out, and scores of hardcore long--term Ableton users are not happy. Removal of this feature requires more mousing around--do you live loop or perform with live?: If so, you would probably not like the loss of feature, and having to use the mouse more live, but then again, you probably never used 3, so maybe you don't know what you are missing. Please feel free to point out anything I said that was incorrect, or flaws in my logic, or to say something useful, but the "features I want" were already in the program, they removed them and it does no one any good to have them gone. period.

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:30 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I love when people talk about ableton as if they've totally missed the mark, simply cause they don't do things your way, in my mind they are one of the most popular programs around and definetly the fastest growing. I'm sure the features you want would be cool I just think it's funny to rant on as if they've managed to write useless software or something.

"if you comment on what I've said make it useful and respectful and I will try to do the same."
was there something useful and respectful about your post that I missed?
Do you think I've had Live since version 2 and posted 700+ times (when registered, plus hundreds more as a lazy "guest") because I don't like ableton---pleeze--it is clearly the best music software around, and my main "instrument" on stage in one of my bands (along with bass, guitar, keys, and drumkat for looping in Live). My post above isn't because they "don't do things my way", this is because they removed an essential feature to live looping and live performance in general. See the thread in feature wishlist with thousands of views reguarding midi select on launch--I'm not alone in my opinions. Clearly I don't think they write useless software, I just think it is a bummer that they still haven't replicated the basic funcitonality of a hardware looper. I've performed scores of live gigs using my laptop, Live, and instruments to loop--the music I create and perform owes a lot to Live--if you'd been here longer you'd know I'm one of the biggest fan-boys of Live around (next to you, maybe), but I'm not going to sit here continuing to use 3 without at least making a strong case for re-implementation of features that were present in 3 making it BACK into the program.

Maybe you should re-read my post or something--they took a key feature out, and scores of hardcore long--term Ableton users are not happy. Removal of this feature requires more mousing around--do you live loop or perform with live?: If so, you would probably not like the loss of feature, and having to use the mouse more live, but then again, you probably never used 3, so maybe you don't know what you are missing. Please feel free to point out anything I said that was incorrect, or flaws in my logic, or to say something useful, but the "features I want" were already in the program, they removed them and it does no one any good to have them gone. period.