Ultraportable Laptop choice

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luke_l

Ultraportable Laptop choice

Post by luke_l » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:37 am

Right... I'm basically looking for a decent ultraportable laptop for use with live, reason and various soft synths. Not necessarily for use in live performances (although it may be a possibility) but for general production on the road. The smaller the better... a 14 inch model is basically too big. Anyone got any opinions or recommendations on this. Would consider a Mac if it was the best option. Not too bothered about the price... just need comfortable perfomance in a small package.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:46 am

Acer 3004, mate... All the way. I got so much G.A.S. for this one.

100gB disk, 2gHz Dothan processor, 1gig of ram, full bus-powered 6-pin FW (very rare! on pcs), high-res 12.1" screen, 1.4 kilos and actually pretty affordable.

My next laptop is either this one or the gen. after that :D
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:58 pm

lush looking machine................made me think about Acer for my next lappski

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:36 pm

damn,
that Acer seems perfect.

i was going to recommend 12" Powerbook, mine was perfect for the road.
but that Acer does seem like the best option.

does anyone know the HD speed?
and has anyone seen prices for the USA?

i noticed the DVDRW is actually external, so you may want to find out total weight with the laptop + drive.

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:56 am

Machinate wrote:Acer 3004, mate... All the way. I got so much G.A.S. for this one.

100gB disk, 2gHz Dothan processor, 1gig of ram, full bus-powered 6-pin FW (very rare! on pcs), high-res 12.1" screen, 1.4 kilos and actually pretty affordable.

I have this exact same laptop, but the north american version.
I will also agree it is by far THE best notebook you could use for live at the moment. Although us 'north american' users got skimped a little compared to the euro version.

Our Acer 3004 your talking about is called the TravelMate 3002. (product code tm3002wtci, or 3002wtci).

here are the differences:

Pentium M 1.73ghz 533fsb (instead of the 2.0ghz)
60GB 4200rpm (instead of the 80GB 5400rpm)
dvd/cdrw (instead of the dvd/rw)
$1299.99 (instead of €1049.99 = $1806.50 usd) *much cheaper to buy here*
the rest of the machine is the exact same.

The powered firewire port (super rare for notebook pc's) has been working PERFECT with any interface or accessory I've thrown at it. Finalscratch 2, firewire audiophile, bus powered 2.5" drives, it power's them all!

The laptop feels hollow it's so light. Compared to my friends 12" powerbook, the acer feels like a feather. It easily feels like half the weight.

The screen is great, very bright, widescreen and responsive.

It has built in bluetooth, and b/g. This laptop has the absolute furthest wireless ratio I have ever seen, used, or owned. This is about my 40th laptop in 5 years, and wireless destroy's distance on all. amazing!

3 usb ports, pci express port for a docking station (ezdock), 4 programmable hotkeys, gigabit networking...

sorry for rambling on so much, but this is the first machine I've owned I was amazed by. And is the FIRST laptop I plan on keeping longer than 6 months.

I've had hp, dell, gateway, emachines, apple, sony, custom builds, imported laptops from japan, fujitsu, compaq... you name it.

This *is* the laptop to have to live, or finalscratch use. IMHO!!!
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:55 am

Thanks for the info Detroittechno. I am considering a new laptop and was wondering what i wanted next since i am fed up with my Vaio. If it's not one thing, it's another with that piece of shite.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:00 am

It looks good, but according to what I have read it has 64 MB shared video memory, which I thought was a no no.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:14 am

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:It looks good, but according to what I have read it has 64 MB shared video memory, which I thought was a no no.
The very reason why I would not buy it myself.
I'd go for a 13" 1.7ghz IBM T42p myself with 16-32meg dedicated graphics card.
Has an extra battery option the yields 9hours of battery life on full power useage also.
Full TI chip set - no firewire however.
Does have a hot swapable DVD drive bay that accomodates a secondary 7200 RPM audio drive however and very good PCMCIA port etc.
Weighs around 1.7kgs also.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:35 am

FaX-01 wrote:
Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:It looks good, but according to what I have read it has 64 MB shared video memory, which I thought was a no no.
The very reason why I would not buy it myself.
I'd go for a 13" 1.7ghz IBM T42p myself with 16-32meg dedicated graphics card.
Has an extra battery option the yields 9hours of battery life on full power useage also.
Full TI chip set - no firewire however.
Does have a hot swapable DVD drive bay that accomodates a secondary 7200 RPM audio drive however and very good PCMCIA port etc.
Weighs around 1.7kgs also.
Seems a bit pricey though!

jah

Post by jah » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:43 am

What about the IBM Thinkpad X41? Has anyone tried running live with it? Only disadvantage is it has a 4200 rpm drive..

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:54 am

FaX-01 wrote:Full TI chip set - no firewire however.
see that's the thing, innit? I need fw for my soundcard. Besides, my current IBM has shared graphics and still runs like a motherfucker :-)

detroitechno, how's the graphics performance on your machine? I suspect you've never had any problems?

4am

Post by 4am » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:56 am

Machinate wrote:Acer 3004, mate... All the way. I got so much G.A.S. for this one.

anyone with a link for this one?
i googeled around without finding it :?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:58 am

4am wrote:

anyone with a link for this one?
i googeled around without finding it :?
try Acer.com, mate :roll: :wink:
http://www.acer.ch/acereuro/page4.do?da ... =472059594

lego

Post by lego » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:09 am

detroitechno wrote:

I have this exact same laptop, but the north american version.
I will also agree it is by far THE best notebook you could use for live at the moment. Although us 'north american' users got skimped a little compared to the euro version.

Our Acer 3004 your talking about is called the TravelMate 3002. (product code tm3002wtci, or 3002wtci).

here are the differences:

Pentium M 1.73ghz 533fsb (instead of the 2.0ghz)
60GB 4200rpm (instead of the 80GB 5400rpm)
dvd/cdrw (instead of the dvd/rw)
$1299.99 (instead of €1049.99 = $1806.50 usd) *much cheaper to buy here*
the rest of the machine is the exact same.

The powered firewire port (super rare for notebook pc's) has been working PERFECT with any interface or accessory I've thrown at it. Finalscratch 2, firewire audiophile, bus powered 2.5" drives, it power's them all!

The laptop feels hollow it's so light. Compared to my friends 12" powerbook, the acer feels like a feather. It easily feels like half the weight.

The screen is great, very bright, widescreen and responsive.

It has built in bluetooth, and b/g. This laptop has the absolute furthest wireless ratio I have ever seen, used, or owned. This is about my 40th laptop in 5 years, and wireless destroy's distance on all. amazing!

3 usb ports, pci express port for a docking station (ezdock), 4 programmable hotkeys, gigabit networking...

sorry for rambling on so much, but this is the first machine I've owned I was amazed by. And is the FIRST laptop I plan on keeping longer than 6 months.

I've had hp, dell, gateway, emachines, apple, sony, custom builds, imported laptops from japan, fujitsu, compaq... you name it.

This *is* the laptop to have to live, or finalscratch use. IMHO!!!
Does anyone know if the Acer 3004 works well with ASIO4All and the integrated audio chipset?

/P

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:39 pm

I've had a few laptops with 'shared' video memory. And for audio use, and other non-gpu extensive tasks, this is no problem at all. For gaming, I know it demands much more cpu power and ram than the integrated solution.
In short, shared video memory isn't a bad thing at all. It saves money, and if you aren't using 3D games, there is no point for anything else. Set it to it's lowest setting, I would recommend 64MB. A decent size for 2 monitors to run fine....
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...