Hard Drives

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Nightrider

Hard Drives

Post by Nightrider » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:23 am

I have a G4 15" Powerbook, 1.5gHz with 80GB 5400rpm HDD, 1.5gb RAM running Live 5.0.2

My question is that I also have an external 7200rpm 250GB Western Digital Fire Wire HDD. I'm wondering if when running multiple samples will this give me any better performance?

It's hard for me to judge although Live seems a fraction better. But I want the tech. evidence if you catch my drift?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Nightrider on Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sqook

Post by sqook » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:26 am

Depends on what type of external hard drive... ie, usb or firewire. The best way to find out would be to bust out the activity monitor and have it graph disk reads/writes, and then just benchmark it yourself.

blastique

Re: Hard Drives

Post by blastique » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:04 pm

Nightrider wrote:I have a G4 15" Powerbook, 1.5gHz with 80GB 5400rpm HDD, 1.5gb RAM running Live 5.0.2

My question is that I also have an external 7200rpm 250GB Western Digital Fire Wire HDD. I'm wondering if when running multiple samples will this give me any better performance?

It's hard for me to judge although Live seems a fraction better. But I want the tech. evidence if you catch my drift?

Thanks in advance.
hi there,

Access time will generally be faster on the 7200rpm drive, which is probably why you feel it is perhaps a little more responsive. Actual throughput, however, would most likely be superior streaming off the internal drive (Ultra DMA). Generally, fire wire gives me about a 31 MB/S sustained transfer rate, while my internal gets around 41 MB/S. Mind you, in my case, my external containing samples and tracks is 5400 rpm, and my internal is 7200rpm. However, when I did have it the other way around, I was getting similar sustained data rate benchmarks from the interfaces.

To sum it up, a faster spindle speed means a quicker access time of files, but actual throughput will be dependant on the bus it is connected to, firewire 400 and usb 2.0 being "slower".
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique