Turning on/off effects using key assign?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Comfy

Turning on/off effects using key assign?

Post by Comfy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Is it posible to turn on/off say 3 effects with one key press. Ive got an effect group which i want to turn on/off just by pressing one key!

Any ideas?

Me, Myself & I and I

Post by Me, Myself & I and I » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:27 pm

I'm looking for sth similar so I give this a bump.

I'm currently working on a live setup with several vsti's and fx.
I want them to turn on/off and the containing track armed in one step also with just a key.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:52 pm

You could trigger a small midi clip that sends several midi notes through a loopback and turn the effects on/off simultaneously?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

blastique

Post by blastique » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:03 pm

I haven't tried this, but could you not assign the effect enable buttons for the 3 effects to midi notes/keys on the keyboard, then create a translator in bome that outputs those keys from the single incoming midi note/cc?

Or are you wishing to do this strictly on the computer keyboard?
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:01 am

if miditranslators etc are to too complicated, you could try the following:

route your audiosignal into two different channels at the same time. On one channel drop your effects gruop, on the other one nothing. Assign those channels to the crossfader. Now you can assign keys to the crossfader and switch between effected and uneffected signal by pressing one key on your keyboard.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:08 am

blastique

Post by blastique » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:55 am

sweetjesus wrote:use this:
http://www.autohotkey.com/
oh yeah! Read about this on these forums some time ago. :) Just wanted to check, does this function on a driver level? i.e. will it muck around with keyboard settings on a global scale, and is it easy to enable/disable on the fly?
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

supster

Post by supster » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:00 am

thats great, but imo its another software/gadget/method that wants you to learn a little scripting language every time you want it to do something.

open source people can be so annoying .. how hard would it be to make a GUI for it? but i guess thats too useful and not as ubercoolische

does anyone know of nice one that does have a GUI?
./
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:14 am

you could try energy ext or plogue bidule as vst's, and run your effects in a chain inside them. that way if you turn the energy/bidule vst off, everything inside it gets turned off as well. they also save the setup inside your live set which is pretty handy.

if you're only using ableton effects you can create a group and turn that on/off with ALT Click but thats a bit tricky to assign to a key i guess.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Me, Myself & I and I

Post by Me, Myself & I and I » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:26 pm

Machinate wrote:You could trigger a small midi clip that sends several midi notes through a loopback and turn the effects on/off simultaneously?
Doh, your post gave me a hard time to think about what exactly you're meaning.

But after some brainstorming about routing I got it:
I have now defined a virtual Midi as remote In and the same virtual Midi as track out.
Now assign some remote keys to the FX I want to turn on and off und send those notes on dummy clips to the virtual Midi.

Et voila, there you have it: Turn FX on and off with scene launch.

Such a great tip.
Thanks a lot. :D

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:46 pm

You're very welcome!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:22 am

supster wrote:

thats great, but imo its another software/gadget/method that wants you to learn a little scripting language every time you want it to do something.

open source people can be so annoying .. how hard would it be to make a GUI for it? but i guess thats too useful and not as ubercoolische

does anyone know of nice one that does have a GUI?
./
agreed, but this is way more powerful than most other keystroke macro tools i've come across and way more stable too.

it's not like they made it scriptable for no reason, in the scripting you can perform powerful logical functions.

if you need any help with any of its scripts gimme a shout, be happy to show you how some of it works.. in fact its quite basic.