All times are UTC

Post subject: live set
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:31 am 

i've posted an mp3 of a show i played a couple of weeks ago up at www.notype.com if anybody's interested.
here's the link to the page it's on but i recommend checking out the other music there as well if you aren't already familiar!

http://www.notype.com/users/dickrichard ... music.html

-dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:38 am 
Damn Im inpressed. Not what I expected. Good stuff. Do you only use "live" live? Was any of it improv? How layed out was the set i.e. rehersed? Just courious. Its real smooth.

Luke O
www.technoiraudio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:51 am 

I'd also like to know how much of it was improv/original material. Also - what about your rig?

Damn nice mix, regardless.

Post subject: set
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:12 am 
is all the sound coming from Live? i didnt hear any transient aliasing at all on the pad sounds.

if the pad/airy sounds are generated in Live, what do you have the Transient option set at for them?

TIA,
rs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:13 am 

thanks! glad you liked it! i got a really good reaction from the crowd as well so i was quite pleased.

it was mostly prepared in that i had all the loops i needed for the songs all set up and then i just would progress through the set determining how long i would leave sections going for and whatnot. mostly what i was occupied with was muting tracks and adding delays and effects.
eventually i'd live to make it more improvisational. i'd like to get a multioutput soundcard so i can audition loops before i add them in. still, i had plenty to do while i was playing so that was good.

all of it was original except for the female vocal stuff which was an acapella version of song by tweet w/ missy elliot that i mixed over top of my own stuff. and there were some samples of an old Faust song in there as well.

my setup was a powerbook g4 400 and a peavey 1600x midi controller and i just used soundmanager for the output.

-dick

Post subject: set
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:17 am 

yeah, everything is coming from Live. i'm not sure what the transient option is set at but it must be whatever is the default setting because i've never changed it. all the pad loops were originally recorded at around the same tempo as the set so that's possibly why there's no aliasing.

-dick

ryansupak wrote:
is all the sound coming from Live? i didnt hear any transient aliasing at all on the pad sounds.

if the pad/airy sounds are generated in Live, what do you have the Transient option set at for them?

TIA,
rs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:14 pm 
Great mix !

Did you put all the loops in one live file ? or did you switch [load new songs] between the songs ?

If you put all the loops in the same live file, didn't your memory/disk usage max out ?

I'm preparing a set as well, but am only creating the songs now ... so I would love some feedback in advance ... :p thanks already.

-- LB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:29 am 
So you are Dick Richards off Raum. Well first of all I should congratulate you on your 'Cratif' EP, I like it.
I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to ask about your production technique, I'm making sorta similar music and I find it quite hard to get those dubby 'basic channel' style chords, is there a specific synth/fx used for these sounds? Thanks.

Post subject: me too
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:33 am 
thats wha i would like to know, but more about good bass generators!

Post subject: Live set-up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:19 pm 

Curious to know how you're live set-up looks ... seem to see 2 laptops (Ti-Book?) ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:56 pm 
thanx!

i had all the loops in one live file. close to 500 megs i believe. i burned them all onto a backup cd just in case! i think live reads the files right off the hard disk so there's isn't really any memory usage problem. you're only limited to how many tracks you can run at once.
good luck with your set!

quote="guest"]
Great mix !

Did you put all the loops in one live file ? or did you switch [load new songs] between the songs ?

If you put all the loops in the same live file, didn't your memory/disk usage max out ?

I'm preparing a set as well, but am only creating the songs now ... so I would love some feedback in advance ... :p thanks already.

-- LB
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:03 am 

thanks! glad you like the record.

there's no specific synth or effect to get those chords from. i think on the cratif record i used a stab sound from a yamaha an1x as a starting point and then tweaked it myself.
a good way to get them is to just start with a regular saw wave and then add filters and envelopes to your taste. a good trick is to use velocity to modulate the cutoff freq so when you hit the chords they have different filter settings each time depending on how hard you hit the keys.
i'd recommend joining the yahoo group 313techknow. look into the archives of the list because there have been lots of discussions on this topic before.

-dick

panic wrote:
So you are Dick Richards off Raum. Well first of all I should congratulate you on your 'Cratif' EP, I like it.
I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to ask about your production technique, I'm making sorta similar music and I find it quite hard to get those dubby 'basic channel' style chords, is there a specific synth/fx used for these sounds? Thanks.

Post subject: me too
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:05 am 

stuff i use or have used are the yamaha an1x and the waldorf pulse but now i mostly use reaktor for my bass sounds.

-dick

fragomat wrote:
thats wha i would like to know, but more about good bass generators!

Post subject: Live set-up
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:08 am 

mines just one tibook, and a peavey midi controller. the other tibook in the pics belongs to mr. projectile who also played that night.

-dick

Mbazzy wrote:
Curious to know how you're live set-up looks ... seem to see 2 laptops (Ti-Book?) ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:46 am 
Cool, thanks for the tips. I also found 313techknow really helpfull, so I signed up.