monitors???

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

monitors???

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:23 pm

can someone tell me the difference in active and passive nearfeild monitors. im looking for monitors that can handle a lot of low ends and bass. need to be durable for what i plan on doing with them.
thanks

fugu

simple

Post by fugu » Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:27 am

the most simple and obvious difference, active monitors are 'activly amplifying' , while passive monitors are not, ie: they need an amplifier.

You'll notice a price difference in activevs. passive monitors, remember to factor in an amplifier for the passives.

if all you're looking for is bass (and yeah you *can* have too much), you'll want a mid/low cone at least 8", and can add a sub if you want, most of which are self powered (active) from the 'studio monitor' manufacturers. (but i personally haven't found a sub necessary in a decnet room with ~150w 8" drivers)

There's good reasons to concider either but the easiest way to know which may be best for you is by asking yourself: "do i have a stereo amplifier that is matched (in impedance and output power) to some prospective passive monitors?" if the answer is 'no', or 'i don't know, but i've got this old..' , or 'who cares?', you may want to go with active monitors.

also, like most musical instruments (yeah, your monitor rig is an instrument) you should sit down with it before jumping in, go listen to some nice monitors and see what suits your sound monitoring needs..

hope this helps

fugu

re: durability

Post by fugu » Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:36 am

heh i forgot,

As far as durable, ther's a number of definitions of that word (esp. when it comes to art) but i've had a set of passive Event2020's for 7 yrs now, a perfectly matched sony solidstate amp/receiver, and run them ~4-5 hours a day (at reasonable volumes: 75-80db @ 12' or so) as well as having moved x-country with them more then once. They still sound great in all ranges (no major preceptable difference from new ones), look as good as new, and have surpassed my best expectations.

ymmv.. but that's my .02