digsusting singapore

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:07 pm

sweetjesus wrote:What price does one put on 'quality of life' ?

Is a new BMW worth having the government control your speech?
Well, Singapore is 73% Chinese (mostly Buddhist) and 14% Malay / Indonesian (Muslim). The government is mostly Chinese. Last week a couple of Chinese guys were jailed for a few months for vilifying Islam on a blog (they complained about the way Islam finds dog saliva unholy).

So yes, the government doesn't allow totally free speech. However, I'm not waiting for a knock on the door for saying here that I disagree with them for imposing the death penalty.

OverIt//

Post by OverIt// » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:52 pm

[quote="

So yes, the government doesn't allow totally free speech. However, I'm not waiting for a knock on the door for saying here that I disagree with them for imposing the death penalty.[/quote]

I would be...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:08 pm

anonymouse wrote: As quality of life includes low crime, excellent public services, wealth, healthcare, political stability etc the vast majority of singaporeans are perfectly happy to live under a quasi-democracy given the transformation of the country that has been achieved by Mr. Lee and his son.

I wouldn't call the USA an good example of freedom of speech or democracy. Most of the government is unelected, presidential candidates emerge only from the pockets of vested-interests, not from the broad electorate and the US mass media is controlled by the military-industrial complex to such an extent that free speech is limited to the fringes.
That's really great and all that their standards of living have (in some opinions) improved, but I for one would have been one of those cretins that criticized islams impression of dog saliva, and thus I value my speculative freedom of speech here in america. Especially now with the patriot act! I like to think of it as a wider audience.

I do not in anyway support the death penalty.

When I was young I had nothing and quite often considered doing irrational things. Somehow I managed to pull my shit together on my own, and I reallize what I was once capable of when I was hot headed, naive and resentful. I can't even magine what I could have been like if I had the misfortune of drug addiction on top if it. However, if I did, and I subjected it onto others, I don't believe it would have been worth killing me.

I'm so glad I never fell into that trap (hard-drug-addiction.) This seems like the eutopian blend of state order that i fear even capitalism in the us is capable of evolving into in the future.

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:15 pm

D DAS wrote:
Celtic wrote:
Clearscreen wrote:

Celitc I 100% dissagree with your crap ass opinion and shit thinking.

You have obviously been completly brainwashed and conditioned to believe that smack and other street drugs are the devils poison; while at the same time you accepted the fact that alcohol and tobacco are ok,,,, well they aren't.
Only a massive idiot would compare alcohol to heroin. I drink 3-5 nights a week. I go out, I pay for beer, I get pissed, I have fun then I go home. No trouble, no harm caused.

Addicts on the other hand usually don't work, they laze around all day in a fucked up daze and make their money by robbing people tp pay for their next hit, usually defenceless people who cant fight back.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier with the shooting gallery idea being used in places like Holland, Australia and Finland etc. Give it out free in a safe environment and take the market away from the dealers who care not about anyone's safety, only their profits.

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:21 pm

D DAS wrote:
Celtic wrote:
Clearscreen wrote:
Roughly 50,000 deaths per year are caused by all street drugs combined; Over half a million deaths a year are caused by alcohol and tobacco products,
50,000 drugs deaths but 500,000 fag and booze deaths. So booze kills 10 times more people than drugs. BUT, you have to offset that against how many people are boozing as opposed to how many take drugs. In England they reckon 1 million people are taking ecstasy. I'd say the amount of people getting pissed is far more than 10 times that amount.

And dont call me brainwashed either. I've probably taken more drugs than you. But I paid for them out my own cash, never robbed anyone and was never anywhere near an addiction. Can most heroin users say the same. I doubt it.

no_barcode

Post by no_barcode » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:27 pm

Celtic wrote:...I've probably taken more drugs than you. But I paid for them out my own cash, never robbed anyone and was never anywhere near an addiction. Can most heroin users say the same. I doubt it.
Actually, yes. Most addicts do in fact claim that they're not addicts. :lol:

Do we need to do an intervention for you?
M1 Max 64GB RAM 4TB SSD; Volt 1; Push 3 Standalone

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:12 pm

Celtic wrote:Only a massive idiot would compare alcohol to heroin
I'd say it's far worse in certain respects... It's certainly much more harmful than blow and charlie.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:40 pm

. [/quote]

"Only a massive idiot would compare alcohol to heroin. I drink 3-5 nights a week. I go out, I pay for beer, I get pissed, I have fun then I go home. No trouble, no harm caused."

Actually alcohol is much more harmful to the body than heroin, much, much more. Alcoholics can die from alcohol withdrawl, heroin addicts can make it our alive from their withdrawl. It is totally fair game to compare the two.

And may I bow to your feet for taking more drugs than me.

Only a massive idiot would have to claim they have abused more drugs than someone in a public forum.

And only a massive idiot would believe everything the FDA has to say about drugs, hence brainwashed to believe.

Sunburzt

Post by Sunburzt » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:11 pm

I think one of the reason why this poor kid got this much attention,is because of the way he was executed...hanging is just a terrible punishment!
It's just as awful as poor islamic women getting raped,and then sentence to death by stoning.

sorry for my bad english :?

What happens in Stoning?
In stoning to death, the victims's hands are tied behind their backs and their bodies are put in a cloth sack. Then, this human "package" is buried in a hole, with only the victims heads showing above the ground. If its a woman, she is buried upto her shoulders. This is to give her an seemingly equal (but nonetheless impossible) chance to escape recognizing her lesser physical strength.
After the hapless individual has been secured in the hole, people start chanting "Allah hu Akbar" (meaning, God is great), and throw palm sized stones at the head of the victim from a certain distance (a circle is drawn).
The stones are thrown until the person dies or until he/she escapes out of the hole and crosses the circle. Escaping is impossible, given that the individual's hands are tied behind their backs and they are buried in a hole upto their necks or shoulders (in the case of males and females respectively).
Naturally, the procedure is extremely barbaric and bloody.

http://www.apostatesofislam.com/media/v ... 00kbps.wmv
*If it takes a thousand words to describe a picture,
it must take a thousand pictures to describe music...*

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:40 pm

anonymouse wrote:Every single idiot who became an addict due to his profiteering deserves the sympathy, not him.

If all countries executed for drug trafficking crime then some real progress could be made.
Sorry, I have to disagree with that statement. Addicts don't deserve sympathy, they are not victims, certainly not of drug traffikers.

World wide mandatory executuion for drug traffikers? You'd call that progress? How about world wide mandatory legalization. The we would eliminate the criminal aspect, the huge profits, the violence, and also would empty about 75% of the prison population.
Rajah wrote: So what about those junkies that would Kill and Rob for a hit?
Is the Drug Smuggler not responsible for their addiction?
Again, no. The suggler is not responsible for their addiction. Addicts have a choice.
Celtic wrote: Only a massive idiot would compare alcohol to heroin. I drink 3-5 nights a week. I go out, I pay for beer, I get pissed, I have fun then I go home. No trouble, no harm caused.
Depends how you look at it man. i mean, if you are shooting dope you pretty much know right away that you are part of a shady drug subculture. When you have a heroin habbit it is pretty hard to deny there is a problem.

On the other hand, alcohol. People die from the withdraw for one, noone dies from heroin withdraw. People drink themselves to death, some of them don't even know there is a problem, or find it easier to deny "atleast I'm not shooting dope ya know". Always something to compare out to. Alcohol is socially accepted, legal, readilly available, sold everywhere, alcoholism is a socially acceptable addiction. Telling someone you are an alcoholic will usually draw a much different response than telling them you are addicted to heroin.

How many people die in alcohol related accidents every year?

Shit man, the only difference between heroin and alcohol is that one is legal and one is illegal. Morally one os not better than the other.

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:38 pm

Alcohol is a drug, Heroin is a drug, Marijuana is a drug, Caffeine is a drug, Advil is a drug, Aspirin is a drug, etc......

Over using any substance especially drugs is usually not a good thing. Have you ever seen a person addicted to caffeine..... :?

not a pretty site.

What is scary is that many of us allow goverments to dictate what drugs we should be ingesting. Who is in control? :?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:59 pm

word

forge

Post by forge » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:49 pm

smutek wrote: How many people die in alcohol related accidents every year?

Shit man, the only difference between heroin and alcohol is that one is legal and one is illegal. Morally one os not better than the other.
sorry, no...maybe if only viewed in terms of the potential damage, but the BIG difference is that ALOT of people are quite happy to have one or 2 beers or glasses of wine and leave it there.

I havent tried smack but know alot of people who have and I dont think I have the personality to risk it, but I'm damn sure smack isnt like that....and I know 1st hand however how powerful crack is and the urge it gives you to get more at all costs...

I dont deny alcohol can be addicitive -that's a demon I'm facing all the time, but usually I feel on my own with that, not many people I know drink more than a few when they go out....

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:59 pm

forge wrote:
smutek wrote: How many people die in alcohol related accidents every year?

sorry, no...maybe if only viewed in terms of the potential damage, but the BIG difference is that ALOT of people are quite happy to have one or 2 beers or glasses of wine and leave it there.

I havent tried smack but know alot of people who have and I dont think I have the personality to risk it, but I'm damn sure smack isnt like that....and I know 1st hand however how powerful crack is and the urge it gives you to get more at all costs...

I dont deny alcohol can be addicitive -that's a demon I'm facing all the time, but usually I feel on my own with that, not many people I know drink more than a few when they go out....
True true true forge. Good points. But the thing is, they are both drugs. And one is not morally better than the other. An aclcoholic isnt "better" or more moral than a heroin addict. Certainly heroin is the more addictive of the two, pretty much anyone who uses heroin on a regular basis will become addicted. But on the other hand there are more fatalities, and I would venture to guess more people hooked on alcohol.

I'd like to type more but it is quitting time and I am ready to get the hell otu of here. My point really was that one drug isnt better than another, and yes - I still stad by my opinion that alcohol can be worse than heroin. Like I said though, it all depends on how you are looking at it. If we are talking about people who drink responsibly than certainly, you can not compare it to heroin. But when you compare the overall negative effects of both drugs, especially if you compare people that are addicted to both, than I say they are neck in neck.

Sorry if thatmakes no sense, but like I said, it's quitting tyime!

peace

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:01 pm

Sunburzt wrote: What happens in Stoning?
Naturally, the procedure is extremely barbaric and bloody.

http://www.apostatesofislam.com/media/v ... 00kbps.wmv
That's just insane!