Beatport // Ableton users... got a question...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dj_statikfire

Beatport // Ableton users... got a question...

Post by dj_statikfire » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:00 am

Hi, Crew.

I'm wondering... anyone order from Beatport, and have problems converting to WAV? I'd like to buy tracks from BP, but I won't be able to use them unless i'm able to convert them to WAVS.

Comments?

Much appreciated,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com
- downloads for club dee jays and internet radio stations
- forum with articles on mixing

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:03 am

i've bought 40+ tracks from them and have had no problems converting them to wav format...

just to let you know they give you the option of getting uncompressed wav format CD sent to you but it costs a little more. that being said the 320kbps mp3's i got from them have been fine.

silliwilli

Post by silliwilli » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 am

If you convert from 320kbps mp3 to wav does this actually increase quality?

Or is it just because you have an older version of live?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:23 am

silliwilli wrote:If you convert from 320kbps mp3 to wav does this actually increase quality?

Or is it just because you have an older version of live?
nothing will increase the quality of a 320kbps mp3.

i do this in Live5 anyway... (make mp3's as WAV that is)... by converting them to wav one can avoid having to deal with all kinds of decoding cache weirdnesses.

silliwilli

Post by silliwilli » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:28 am

did not know this. may do this myself from now on

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:04 am

Beatport is great. I've been downloading from them for a few months and have had no complaints. I too convert from mp3 to wav to avoid all the caching.
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

alan*

Post by alan* » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:08 am

I am finding the decoding cache is working well on my set up and so just drag mp3's straight in and warp them, seems to be working fine, what sort of weirdness are you guys getting ?
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:11 am

alan* wrote:I am finding the decoding cache is working well on my set up and so just drag mp3's straight in and warp them, seems to be working fine, what sort of weirdness are you guys getting ?

sometimes i find tracks need to be decoded and sets are not immediately accessible unless the source of files are wav.

also makes for managing drivespace a little bit more straightforward...

it's like an auto car vs. manual... i prefer the control

alan*

Post by alan* » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:25 am

yeah thats understandable, i'm just kind of cruising at the moment so auto is ok for me, sure sometimes got to wait a bit for a track to decode but you can start playing it before it has finished decoding, and...got all that hard drive space which for me was the most important thing...to be able to have all the sounds i wanted on my laptop and not have to rig an external drive each time
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

forge

Post by forge » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:35 am

no probs with Beatport here

I've been finding the whole decoding cache a hassle, it's definitely better to convert to wav first, A big set I have with loads of mp3s in it looks for the decoded wavs in the decoding cache but I moved them to the song project folder to free up the cache so now it looks for the ones in the decoding cache and cant find them so makes them offline, each time I click "replace" to resolve the path it takes me to the folder the mp3 was in so I have to navigate to the sounds folder. I have to do this every single time. I couldnt use the self contain settings because the whole project is way too big.

personally the only real benefit I see so far to the kind of mp3 support live 5 does is that you can preview from the browser, I really dont like the whole decode cache thing, it would at the least be better to import to the project's sounds folder

but I have quite a few problems with the file handling in general....

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:35 am

forge wrote:no probs with Beatport here

I've been finding the whole decoding cache a hassle, it's definitely better to convert to wav first, A big set I have with loads of mp3s in it looks for the decoded wavs in the decoding cache but I moved them to the song project folder to free up the cache so now it looks for the ones in the decoding cache and cant find them so makes them offline, each time I click "replace" to resolve the path it takes me to the folder the mp3 was in so I have to navigate to the sounds folder. I have to do this every single time. I couldnt use the self contain settings because the whole project is way too big.

personally the only real benefit I see so far to the kind of mp3 support live 5 does is that you can preview from the browser, I really dont like the whole decode cache thing, it would at the least be better to import to the project's sounds folder

but I have quite a few problems with the file handling in general....
EXACTLY. Beatport is just good and the file system in live at the moment is anoying.

TonySoprano

Post by TonySoprano » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:51 pm

Love Beatport. I dont bother converting to wav, and have no problems doing full mixes. After I've just had a good spending spree, I download everything to one folder, "Nov 2005 Tunes", or something, right-click on this folder in Live's broswer, choose Analyse, and then go and watch telly for a bit. When I come back, everything's been decoded and cached, and I can get warping.

ernene

Post by ernene » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:47 pm

same for me, already 200 tunes from beatport, and I'm absolutly happy with that... quality is ok, (it's always a compressed format, but good enough) and I'm not decoding, just drag and drop in live, then warp everything how it should be, save clips and that's it! I also get some music at http://www.kompakt-mp3.net, but the site is awful and when U want to listen every track it's a pain in the #ss. I don't remember quite good but think the mp3 quality is a bit lower, and you can't create a user account with your info, so you have to type credit card and everything else any time you buy some music... so, no doubt, BEATPORT is by far the best for ME, at least by now...

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm

I am using live 4, unfortunatly.

I asked the question because i didn't know if there was any built in copy protection that would prevent conversion.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

THX,
Jason D.
www.statikfire.com
- downloads for club dee jays and internet radio stations
- forum with articles on mixing