Controlling Ableton Live with external equipment

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rengel

Controlling Ableton Live with external equipment

Post by rengel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:51 am

Guys,

I know that I've posted this before probably 1,000 times, but I've got another idea, and would like to know whether anybody has this kind of setup currently, or if they think this would work (from a DJ'ing/remixing perspective)..

I've got a copy of Live 5, with a PowerBook G4.
I don't have an external sound card.
I do'nt have any external controllers, mixers.

I was originally looking at a mixer, that now looks to be vapourware, so I'm hanging out for the release of the Allen & Heath Xone 3D next year.

But before it's released, I'd like to get another setup and start using live to DJ/remix.

I've got a picture in my head of using the following equipment to mix, remix tracks in live in a DJ FORMAT or Setup. Very similar to what a traditional Mixer & decks setup would look like, only with ability to 'trigger' clips and loop, etc.

Now, the equipment I'm thinking of getting is the following, tell me your thoughts:

1. M-Audio Firewire 410 (4-In 10-Out) Mobile Recording Interface
(this will be used to queue my tracks within Ableton using my headphones, before you hear it in the speakers/PA

2. M-Audio Trigger Finger 16-Pad MIDI Drum Control Surface
(this will be used to 'trigger' my clips within Ableton, as well as bringing certain loops into the mix, could use the 4 channel sliders as 'bringing' in the loops. Drum pad used solely for triggering clips and loops.

3. M-Audio UC33e Control Surface
(this is used for the sole reason to bring in tracks using faders and 'DJ' mixing, can also be used to trigger clips, rotary knobs will be used to use filters and effects like 'resonate' and echo filters.

OR, this setup...

(this will be used to queue my tracks within Ableton using my headphones, before you hear it in the speakers/PA

2. M-Audio Project Mix I/O
(to be used as the main 'mixer' console, triggering clips, loops, etc, the jog wheel could be used to browse clips before triggering them, channel faders to bring in and bring out clips like a normal DJ mixer)

3. M-Audio X-Session17
(to be used as the crossfader from a traditional DJ mixer, and extra knobs for filters, effects)

What do you think guys????
I've just gotten rid of my CDJ1000's and DJM600 mixer, and I'm looking at getting Live seriously, but I need the hardware/external equipment to 'feel' like I'm still using equipment, I DO NOT want to be using a mouse/keyboard to DJ with.

Recommendations/Suggestions/Comments..... let's hear them!!! :)

R.
Liess dat hei, dan zor meir et. ;)

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:59 am

M-Audio Firewire 410 (4-In 10-Out) Mobile Recording Interface

Stay away from this... Consider Echo Indigo DJ PCMIA card or something else...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

silliwilli

Post by silliwilli » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:00 am

Wow what a great idea, using an external controller...I have never thought of this. You are a genius.

...and there was me struggling to Dj away using a mouse and keyboard

:roll:

rengel

Post by rengel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:03 am

Hey silliwilly, I was merely asking for advise on people that have a current setup, and asking advise on whether the setup I'm proposing would actually work, or whether I've got the wrong combinations, etc.

Don't roll your eyes at me mate ;) hehehe..

rengel

Post by rengel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:03 am

cosmosuave - why? latency? stability?

alan*

Re: Controlling Ableton Live with external equipment

Post by alan* » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:16 am

rengel wrote:Guys,
:

(this will be used to queue my tracks within Ableton using my headphones, before you hear it in the speakers/PAR.
I found ,among other things, that the headphone output on the 410 did not go loud enuf to be suitable for dj'ing purposes, especially if you are playing on a loud system, its very hard to hear your cue.
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

rengel

Post by rengel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:20 am

alan* - so what is your weapon of choice for external firewire sound cards, with live?

alan*

Post by alan* » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 am

presonus firebox, probably no where near as good as the motu traveller and probably a few others out there but on the whole, for the price, I'm very happy with it...and the headphones go up to 11, no, but seriously, they do !

one word of warning, for firebox users, although it's bus powered, i would recomend for a live situation to perhaps use a power supply with it, reason being, and perhaps why 410 doesnt go loud enough is, and I'm not 100% sure on this, I don't think the firewire bus can supply enuf power to amp the headfones at high volume and I have had the unit drop out on me once when it was just bus powered, never dropped out with added power supply.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:14 am

rengel wrote:cosmosuave - why? latency? stability?
FOr some this interface works well but it is a real misnomer.... It is never a 4 input audio device... You can only input 2 channels of audio at a given time that being analogue or digital... I would suggest renting an interface before buying to check for compatabilty issues... I have learned this the hardway and would like to pass on this advice to you....
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

rengel

Post by rengel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:54 am

alan* what about edirol??

undaria

Post by undaria » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:04 am

today i hooked up a m-audio firewire audiophile soundcard to my portable with a 4pin connection and ac-powercable.
headphonevolume sounds loud enough for cueing at loud p.a.(live) settings.
just to let you know : this one rocks.
greetings.
undaria.

alan*

Post by alan* » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:53 am

i never tried an audiophile, only a 410, depends what platform you are on also, apparently m-audio gear works a lot better on pc but mac drivers are notoriously bad, in terms of latency and also ease of use, i was forever having to reboot, pre sonus fire box is so much easier to use...

havent tried edirol but fa66 seems similar to firebox by all reports, should be good, edirol make good gear

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:24 am

i would seriously suggest looking into a behringer bcr2000

you can get one off of ebay for like $100

sooooo much bang for your buck

rengel

Post by rengel » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:12 am

Thanks for the feedback guys for letting me know about the soundcard, but can I get some feedback about the consoles?
Anyone use the UC33 and Trigger Finger here (together) for DJ purposes?

Would love to hear what other people have these days...
(apart from the Beringer)