What does Robert Henke have to lose?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Have you ever pirated music?

Yes
81%
Yes, but only once.
19%

Total votes: 27

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:00 pm

SethAbare wrote:
You listen to that?
No, usually free tracks suck and this is no exception. But feel free to remix it! Remixing is a superb promotion tool !!!!!!!!

:?

SethAbare

Post by SethAbare » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:11 pm

Robert Henke wrote:
SethAbare wrote:
You listen to that?
No, usually free tracks suck and this is no exception. But feel free to remix it! Remixing is a superb promotion tool !!!!!!!!

:?
consider it done
splashtunes.com

SethAbare

Re: What does Robert Henke have to lose?

Post by SethAbare » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:15 pm

drush wrote:
SethAbare wrote:...
you can preview all the tracks from 6 different Monolake releases in the iTunes Music Store.

and you need to go outside, take a walk, find a girlfriend... something.
Thanks for the intelligent answer that in no way was an attempt to troll ;)
splashtunes.com

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:45 pm

Monolake's releases are also available at www.juno.co.uk to buy on CD/vinyl. But you can hear a short preview of all the tracks by any artist when you browse an item. Should give you an idea what you think of the stuff. Saves you having to worry about whether you are ripping off the artist by d/l-ing an illegal mp3...
:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

SethAbare

Post by SethAbare » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:54 pm

telekom wrote:Monolake's releases are also available at www.juno.co.uk to buy on CD/vinyl. But you can hear a short preview of all the tracks by any artist when you browse an item. Should give you an idea what you think of the stuff. Saves you having to worry about whether you are ripping off the artist by d/l-ing an illegal mp3...
Okay, thats exactly what I am saying; why is it that Monolake only has 30 second previews of songs, but I can find go to bad-boy records and download 20 of p-diddy's artists entire songs for free? Major studio's, and other successful ndependant musicians, use free music as a promotional tool. Is there a reason that many electronic musicians don't?

And before you get on me about piracy, I am not advocating it, and I am not looking for more free stuff. I want to know why electronic musicians seem so private in comparison.
splashtunes.com

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:00 pm

I dunno. Let's ask Robert. Robert! What have you got to lose?

(....no answer....)

I dunno. It might be out of Robert's hands, maybe it is a condition of publishing or contracts or summink. If you look at the recent thread about electronic music people are enjoying, you'll find lots of sites with mp3s. I kinda wonder if maybe you should direct your question to Robert... he does work for Ableton...

MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.

SethAbare

Post by SethAbare » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:11 pm

telekom wrote:I dunno. Let's ask Robert. Robert! What have you got to lose?

(....no answer....)

I dunno. It might be out of Robert's hands, maybe it is a condition of publishing or contracts or summink. If you look at the recent thread about electronic music people are enjoying, you'll find lots of sites with mp3s. I kinda wonder if maybe you should direct your question to Robert... he does work for Ableton...

I don't know, maybe i was hoping people would use this as a forum and have a discussion about it. Perhaps even come to some sort of consensus with the rest of the community.
splashtunes.com

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:21 pm

Wasn't flamin ya Seth... :)

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:02 am

Relevant discussion. Is it true? Don't know. But a single example (Monolake) doesn't really make or break the case.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:19 am

just a thought...

With Monolake it's one guy (I assume) making one song, the profit from sales is direct, no dilution (distributors etc aside). With Diddy there's many many many more people involved in each song diluting the real worth of a track. He's a factory pumping out product and he has to get it out into the mainstream, push it into our faces until we accecpt it as good.

I'm sure if Monolake had dozens of songs pumped out every year he could afford to give a few freebies away and behave more like a crack dealer (first one's free!) than an artist with his creations.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:26 am

:lol:
The question was good but the song was better, point Henke.

SethAbare

Post by SethAbare » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:03 am

telekom wrote:Wasn't flamin ya Seth... :)
I know, I didn't take it as such. :)
DeadlyKungFu wrote:just a thought...

With Monolake it's one guy (I assume) making one song, the profit from sales is direct, no dilution (distributors etc aside). With Diddy there's many many many more people involved in each song diluting the real worth of a track. He's a factory pumping out product and he has to get it out into the mainstream, push it into our faces until we accecpt it as good.

I'm sure if Monolake had dozens of songs pumped out every year he could afford to give a few freebies away and behave more like a crack dealer (first one's free!) than an artist with his creations.
Good points, I really didn't think about the financial aspects of it.
splashtunes.com

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:31 am

SethAbare wrote: Good points, I really didn't think about the financial aspects of it.
ummm, the title of your post is "What does Robert Henke have to lose?"
and you didn't think about the financial aspects of it?? :roll: :?

were you under the impression that he would lose a little piece of his soul by letting you download an entire track for free? or was it lose his hair?
lose his mind perhaps? lose his dignity? bicycle?

:roll:

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:32 am

nice work robert

=)

congratulations...

a masterpiece of a mastermind

=)

but your idea to remix this baby, was understood as an invitation...

*ggg

so...hey ho..lets go for freempthree...
* LIVE * 1031 + 1092 * LOGIC PRO 7
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828
* TASCAM M-2600 * Sennheiser,AKG,Sure
http://www.myspace.com/robstrobetracks

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:41 am

SethAbare wrote: a. Electronic music is less defined generally, and easier to rip off intellectually. Hence the artist may feel less inclined to put unreleased/demo's on the internet for fear that someone may make a copy and claim it as their own, and without much legal protection it would be hard to prove ownership in a court of law, especially internationally.
well i dont know about that. assuming someone ripped your music off , and sold it as his own and you brought him/her to court....well , only you would have the makings of that track. all the filter settings , original drum sounds , original midi , original everything...all the pieces to the puzzle , whereas the ripper-offer would only have a picture of the puzzle complete. unless he just rips off your melodies , or drum patterns - but that same danger applies to every type of music....and every type of art form for that matter. plagiarism probably existed in the cave man days. graham bell never invented the phone , an italian did - but he couldnt afford the patent. and from that invention here we are....
SethAbare wrote: b. Artists feel that they are being ripped off already with mp3 downloads and don't want to perpetuate the cycle by making themselves more known on the internet.
art for arts sake i say. make your bread and butter at the gigs , and for the sake of free movement of information stand down and take it on the chin (having people record and pass on your music etc) By all means , take the credit for your original works...but i despise professional musicians who are pushing the law in a terrible direction, and making precedents which will hinder or remove even more civil liberties. music sound and vision is too sacred to sully with finance and the horseshit that comes with it

SethAbare wrote: c. The artist believes that their work should be paid for, and that any free downloads would undermine that ideal.
true....although decent people will always want to throw some cash in the direction of a musician they respect , and broke asses and cheapskates will always want it for free .....such is life. its only the trappings of a capitalist society which will push or pull music as a whole into the inner depths of hell.

lars ulrich is the fall guy i like to hate , on this particular topic. a filthy rich millionaire , if not a billionaire - who makes a fortune at stadium gigs , t-shirts and horseshit dvds....and goes ahead and sues his fan base. kids for the most part. the same kids who used to buy his shirts and go to his shows......what a piece of shit. Its funny to see the rest of the band being asked about this topic , they completely shy away from it - neither condoning what he did , nor damning him....but they try to disconnect themselves from the whole fiasco

respect to aphex twin for releasing melodies from mars through the net , on all the p2p clients and mp3 swapping servers out there.....as far as im aware he's never claimed it as his own - i think to avoid the wraith of his record label , not sure. its a great album too , one of my favs. Track 10 is cut short , ive yet to find a complete copy of that track. the way his mind operates its probably intentional. its a sweet track.

and a big fat dick in the mouth to all the labels and artists out there battling p2p exchanges of mp3s. once they die , and the precedents have been set , we'll be the ones paying for it up the ass

just my humble opinion , i could go on for hours - it goes beyond music , and goes into economics and society.......at any rate music , art , should transcend that shit......its only the demons who want to drag a sacred art form into that realm,......as if they're starving. bah!
Last edited by henry ford on Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.