Mac to PC help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Mac to PC help

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:12 pm

Hey - I'm getting my PC this evening and was curious on how to get all my downloaded products (PSP stuff, ohmforce, Ableton 5) stuff ported over to the PC from my MAC?

Just burn everything on discs? Granted all the download files are .sit file not .exe

I'm excited to use the PC - based on the performance test results and my friends telling me how cool PC's are I bit the bullet

I'm not selling my Mac Mini

I'm just getting a

Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz Hyper-Thread enabled CPU
1.0GB PC3200 DDR RAM
80GB HDD

for like $400 - that's nice

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:15 pm

you'll need to re-download most if not all of it, im afraid.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:58 pm

Machinate wrote:you'll need to re-download most if not all of it, im afraid.
That's what I figured - I think with the TriTone products I have to pay a small extra license for but most everything else (except the Ohmforce) is free

To use Ableton on the PC am I going ot have to pay extra - I read their documentation but couldn't figure it out

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:15 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
Machinate wrote:you'll need to re-download most if not all of it, im afraid.
That's what I figured - I think with the TriTone products I have to pay a small extra license for but most everything else (except the Ohmforce) is free

To use Ableton on the PC am I going ot have to pay extra - I read their documentation but couldn't figure it out

a

Not if A your Mac's a laptop, Ableton give you two installs one for desktop and one for your lappy in good grace that your not gonna use both at once.

B You could also uninstall Live on your Mac and then install Live on your PC/

You have a Mac Mini so option B is the way forward.
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:25 am

thx1138 wrote:Not if A your Mac's a laptop, Ableton give you two installs one for desktop and one for your lappy in good grace that your not gonna use both at once.

B You could also uninstall Live on your Mac and then install Live on your PC/

You have a Mac Mini so option B is the way forward.
OK if you are being a total stickler then this would be somehow the case, but if you are using two machines at different times with a different OS, then I would say Ableton wouldn't care that the mini is only sort of portable.

Even the " not at the same time " thing is open for interpretation IMO. Say I am the single user, I use the combined CPU of both the laptop and desktop to write a song, one instance of Live is a VST/AU host, and the other is actually being used as a sequencer etc.
Now I'm a DAW whore, so mainly I use Logic on the desktop to do this, with Live on the powerbook, but really, in no way do I feel like I'm ripping Ableton off if I was to be using Live to do this. Now if I had a friend over, and we were jamming and recording using both computers running Live, then yes, I'm taking money from Ableton's pocket.

So I say Ableton will probably not care that neither is a true laptop, just that you don't use both machines to run Live as a sequencer, or let other users use one machine while you use the other.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:34 am

i don't think it matters if they are both laptops

just as long as you don't use them together

pale1

Post by pale1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:22 pm

If you plan to go online with it, the wery first thing you should do, once on the net, is to download and install firewall and antivirus.

Sygate(firewall) and AVG(antivirus) are both free and work flawlessly.

Regards
Macbook
Rme babyface pro
push 2
Genelec 1030A
Analogue gear
Stuff amassed through time

http://www.soundcloud.com/foss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsEWQB ... smHhob59Xg

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:47 pm

pale1 wrote:If you plan to go online with it, the wery first thing you should do, once on the net, is to download and install firewall and antivirus.

Sygate(firewall) and AVG(antivirus) are both free and work flawlessly.

Regards
A small correction here: If you plan to go online with it, get a mate to burn you a cd with firewall and antivirus. Install PRIOR to connecting to the net. the first few hits can arrive within seconds...

...or, if you're like me, get Zone Alarm after a years worth of computer abuse. :D
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:55 pm

I did it - i went PC - The mini's still right here but I'm typing this on a pc (give me a friggin medal why don't cha)

I went AMD Athlon 64 3200 - stock 512 ram, but I'm upgrading that today - 80 gig hard drive blah blah blah

It's not the fastest machine and transferring vst's, apps etc from the mini to the PC was a pain in the ass

but I did the performance test and the machine peaked at 30%

I also ran a few Reaktors and reverbs 4 instances of Reaktor including Space Design, Carbon 2 (with a step seq) the Rob Acid drum machine and Veiring - a couple of ableton eq's compressors, microtonic and 2 ableton reverbs on the sends - 70%

I was starting to get bad mouse screen redraws (i'm going to upgrade the video card as well, plus the ram)

But other than it being not very attractive and not as fu-fu as the Mac Mini I'm happy

oh and any hooks on good freebee VST plugs - KVR right?

peace

(I can't believe it's not a mac)

ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:49 am

djadonis, that was the most inelegant, geeky post I've ever read from you? What's wrong?
djadonis206 wrote: i went PC - The mini's still right here but I'm typing this on a pc
Oh.... I get it. Have you developed the fat ass busybody office worker spread yet? :P

[ducks as the PC guys start in with the backlash!] :arrow:

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:57 pm

Nothing but the best :)

I sold the mini on Craigslist - now I'm 'mac' less

OK this is not a joke - I feel asleep last night on the couch watching (guess, you got it South Park: The Movie - Viva La Resistance!)

and I woke up around 5 to some random channel talking about the PC MAC debate (No kidding)

This guy was saying he uses both (mac and PC) and Mac's are more consumer based and windows are moving into a more specific, business entertainment based market -

I loved my Mac, it was cool

I also watched the "ladder to heaven episode" so that song "Where were you when they built that ladder to heaven, nine eleven" is stuck in my head

so its that Paula Cole song Cartman always sing "I don't want to wait for our lives to me over."

Machinesworking, I feel like I know you from somewhere, Platinum? F-8 (oh that's Aaron Simpson)

peace

and yes, this as written from a PC, later I'll post from my PSP (promise)

I love you all, but I love this computer more

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:20 pm

djadonis206 wrote:This guy was saying he uses both (mac and PC) and Mac's are more consumer based and windows are moving into a more specific, business entertainment based market -
Don't entirely agree, though with you having a mini as an example of Apple technology, it would seem that way to you. Apple has a specific consumer and business line, the powerbooks, though only slightly faster offer things that you only get in comparably priced PC laptops. Things like Gigibit ethernet, and backlit keyboards.
Machinesworking, I feel like I know you from somewhere, Platinum? F-8 (oh that's Aaron Simpson)
Only places I would guess our paths might have crossed would be the Fenix, and the Chop Suey. I tend towards live shows, and spend maybe four or five nights a year in dance clubs. A good friend of mine runs the Bedroom Club at the Fenix. My music is pretty firmly in the goth/industrial/IDM camp.
Personally I wouldn't have sold the mini, if a friend hadn't given me a dual Gig G4 tower, I would have a PC, but I would still use a powerbook as well. Networking between computers is pretty easy these days, and setting the PC up as a VST farm is what I would do. Besides Live, the mac DAWs IMO, blow the PC ones away.

Anyway I'm surprised you don't have a laptop?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:34 pm

Trent von plays the fenix alot right? - my buddy Randy Shlager always talks about him

Machinesworking - have anything to do with the club Machine works on capitol hill?

I have some friends who are into that scene - i think I went to Machineworks a couple times - once when my old graphix designer The Gerrixx came up for one of my raves (he did the flyer for) - He's really cool, waaaaaaaaaay into the goth scene but used to (and probably still does) Rave flyer stuff

and another time I was high on crystal meth but that's neither here nor there

from time to time I listen to C89 sunday nights when I'm driving around in the car - good industrial stuff

I really like Terence Fixmer ala Dave Clarke

word

maybe Ill see you in the mix

late

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:45 pm

djadonis206 wrote: But other than it being not very attractive and not as fu-fu as the Mac Mini I'm happy oh and any hooks on good freebee VST plugs - KVR right?

(I can't believe it's not a mac)

ad
Windows is uglier than ugly to look at of course and PC boxes are usually made to match.... the other side of the coin: Price, performance & tons of cheap/free software!

Some of my favourites:

Asynth:
The most amazing digital filter I have ever heard, resonance goes all the way into self-oscillation - watch out 4 ya speakers!
http://antti.smartelectronix.com/

KarmaFX:
A modular synth.. it doesn't save the edit buffer with a LiveSet but that will be fixed in the next update! It really has a sound of it's own and it's well quirky. http://www.karmafx.dk/

Iblit: This thing has a mAsSiVe bass end and very punchy envelopes. There's also PolyIblit but it's very fiddly to program. I say go with the Iblit.
http://www.bostreammail.net/ers/index.html

http://www.e-phonic.com/ wicked synthetic sounding drum VSTs

All free with the option to donate.

:D

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:21 pm

On the Andreas Ersson website there's a free Beta of his new drum VST,
Drumular. A real improvement over his old Ersdrums, which is erm, not very good... sorry to say that.

If you like your synths synthetic sounding (I do) ..is a good one.
Nice minimalistic interface too.
http://www.bostreammail.net/ers/index.html
:)