Ableton Live for composing/recording.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CloudyJim

Post by CloudyJim » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:45 pm

Drumon,

I play a variety of styles and am feeling the urge to create a fusion by combining them.

My primary instrument is flamenco guitar, but I also play other styles of guitar, like flatpicking(bluegrass, old-timey, alternate tunings), steel guitar, and surf/rockabilly type stuff. I am learning the oud and the cumbus, two distinctly middle eastern instruments. I have also dabbled in carnatic(South Indian classical) percussion and have a few skills on the kanjira and mridangam. Oh yeah, I really really want an electric baritone guitar.

I have only one recording to date. It was my first attempt, made in Sonar. The link is in the first post of this thread, I believe.

I am simply not into sampling, midi, or electronic music in general, but the Live demo was convincing enough to sway me.

What do you hope your outcome will sound like? I am generally aiming for Ennio Morricone-ish.
Last edited by CloudyJim on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:45 pm

Jim, welcome to the club! You won't be sorry.

As for not using many of the features...well, all I can say is give it some time. Even Beat Repeat can do some interesting things to your ethnic percussions. I took African Drumming classes at Berkeley during my undergrad years, and I can honeslty say that the first time a 4/4 rhythm crossed with a 3/4 rhythm made sense to me, I was completely hooked into a groove that I didn't even think in (if that makes sense). So if you take a percussion loop you created and throw it at Beat Repeat with a randomizer setting that uses triplets in the slicing, you might have a very cool result.

So in the same way the Session view is opening up how you create, I bet that some of the other Live features will open up your creativity too.

Another example...try the various Delay pluging while playing acoustic rhythm guitar and then automate some of the parameters. The textures you get will likely spark a bunch of really cool ideas.

Anyways, this is the tip of the iceberg. Welcome, and enjoy...

drumon

Post by drumon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:08 pm

Cloudyjim.

My work as a musician is in classical music (percusison, also interested in some middle eastern things, enjoy playing req and bendir frame drums). However I am interested in recording techniques and the possibilities it opens up as an individual musician. So, I like to record my own playing, but am also into experimenting (as I am not skilled enough yet to actually produce "performance pieces" it is very experimental right now) with electroacoustic composition using my own sounds whether musical or otherwise. Hence, "Live" appears to offer a very musical instrument approach to recording and composing in electronics compared to any other software I am aware of. I was originally going to invest in a small protools setup, and may still do as I have found it very useable in electroacoustic composition, and naturally for regular recording also, however "Live" now offers a very refreshing approach which I am seriously considering as a complete alternative to protools, and it seems is also very flexible in a straight recording environment with fewer if any hurdles than I thought for that type of work at all.