Randomness

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ekitel

Randomness

Post by ekitel » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:21 am

I'd just like to say that this is a great forum, and also I've just download the live 5 demo (still only have 4) and am loving the beat repeat plugin, especially the way the variation control makes it random, a friend of mine showed me the latest version Spectrasonics Sytlus that has a similar function, though it seems a bit more sophisticated, and I think he had another plugin that also had a similar effect

these things are great for writing tracks, you can just let it go and record while it throws in random fills that you can edit and reposition later, and for live performance it adds an unexpected element to keep things more exciting, instead of just having a loop sound exactly the same each time it loops

I really think this kind of controlled randomness is the wave of the future, or at least one important part of how the evolution of music software is going to affect the development, and maybe even the resurgence, of electronic music

conny

Post by conny » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:24 am

Agree.
I like that type of "events" to.
I'd like most of things to able to randomize (in Live, and maybe life...)

First would be a randomize button in Operator!

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

borg

Post by borg » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:49 am

i'm a fan too of follow actions and randomizer plugs, but i think pushing it too much would end up in a 'band in a box' program for electronic music. sometimes it feels too easy.

of course, i'll use the damn functionality when available :P
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

ekitel

Post by ekitel » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:35 am

yeah I know what you're saying about it being "too easy" but I like to think that it free's you up to be more creative and improvisatiuonal, letting the computer take care of the little details so that you can focus more on giving the crowd an experience that is truly exceptional... ;)

conny

Post by conny » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:56 pm

It's kind of strange that randomness and "feel" may overlap, cause random is a very cold and dead rule throwing it's dices on the marble floor...
As when randomly letting out some hits in a drum pattern - get's it more "live".
Pure random is very little information, pure determinism is also very little information.
Just talking to myself, but anyway.

Live life is the feel that choices are "really" made, here and now?

Have you ever listened to the rain and really tried to hear it as willingly composed, every drop is on the right place on the score?

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Diskclaimer

Post by Diskclaimer » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:33 pm

conny wrote:
Have you ever listened to the rain and really tried to hear it as willingly composed, every drop is on the right place on the score?

// C
No but I plan to

b

lola

Post by lola » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:59 pm

i would like to see a randomizer for just the placing of the notes, not the pitch.
So u play a chord in and some stacato notes, and with that randomizer plug that will not effect the pitch just the places.

Or is there already a plug for this?

supster

Post by supster » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:00 pm

i agree the randomization functions can make for some great inspiration

but thats all i tend to use them for, and sparingly, nothing can replace what you hear in your head and working to constantly realize that better

this is where the real craft of musicianship comes in imo. so i dont see relying on them too much as a good thing

letting them generate wavs, recording them then chopping them up the way you hear it is the way to go for me.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

borg

Post by borg » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:01 pm

^^^^^

i'd have said that in my previous post if it hadn't been four in the morning back then :wink:
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

ekitel

Post by ekitel » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:33 pm

supster wrote:i agree the randomization functions can make for some great inspiration

but thats all i tend to use them for, and sparingly, nothing can replace what you hear in your head and working to constantly realize that better

this is where the real craft of musicianship comes in imo. so i dont see relying on them too much as a good thing

letting them generate wavs, recording them then chopping them up the way you hear it is the way to go for me.
I can see your point of view as a musician and composer, you want to explore your own creativity and originality, but I'm just a dj, I want to take a bunch of loops from records and randomize them a little, and throw on some distortion and a filter to tweak the cutoff freq, then plug in a mic and get stoopid! :twisted: