antivirus SW that won't interfere w/ Laptop performance?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robtronik

antivirus SW that won't interfere w/ Laptop performance?

Post by robtronik » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:19 am

what is safe to use that won't interfere w/ Live's performance?

I use my laptop to connect to the internet (PC laptop running XP) as well and I'm getting paranoid that I'll get infected (I use Firefox, but still).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

rob.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:28 am

i did use norton but that was really heavy on resources. i now use zonelabs [zonealarm] anti virus and seems better. however, my music laptop does not get connected to the internet. period. thats the best defence.

sweetjesus

Re: antivirus SW that won't interfere w/ Laptop performance?

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:37 am

robtronik wrote:what is safe to use that won't interfere w/ Live's performance?

I use my laptop to connect to the internet (PC laptop running XP) as well and I'm getting paranoid that I'll get infected (I use Firefox, but still).

thanks

rob.
if you're worried about internet nasties, anti virii don't really do as much anymore these days. anti spyware tools are cool.. the Microsoft one (Previously GIANT Antispyware before MS bought them out) is great and doesn't take any additional resources unless you want it to.

On of the other things you have to be careful of these days are "Rootkits" which are much harder to deal with and I use two programs "Unhackme" and "Processguard" to help in that matter.

If your applications are on a seperate partition to your audio / music files, I'd probably recommend to simply use MS Anti Spyware and a program called DeepFreeze. Deepfreeze will lock your system down and you have to "Unfreeze" it to make any changes to anything, so if you end up getting a virus or a piece of spyware... who cares because upon next reboot its GONE!!!

Deepfreeze also rocks because somehow it helps keep bootup times lower than what I have ever managed to achieve before.

drush

Post by drush » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:23 am

sweetjesus wrote:Deepfreeze...
interesting. and there's a mac version.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:50 am

drush wrote:
i like the message you had before you edited it!! :P :P

"interesting, even from a mac guy"

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:58 am

robtronik wrote:what is safe to use that won't interfere w/ Live's performance?

thanks

rob.
I can really recommend NOD32 ( http://www.eset.com ). I am a previous Norton AntiVirus user and i can say that NOD32 is a lot more responsive than Norton. It's also quite cheap which is a plus! I also use the M$ Anti Spyware tool for taking care of those nasty spywares and what not.

If you want more security related stuff go to http://www.sysinternals.com/ for tons of small and really good programs for finding out what's going on inside your computer and also for some nice reading up on your favourite Sony / BMG business :)

/F
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

forge

Post by forge » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:37 am

is there really that much of a difference?? I have had NAV corporate on my machine for ever and I'm sure I've tried disabling it while doing CPU heavy tunes and it hasnt made the slightest difference.

And it's always been good at the viruses, havent had one in a long time.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:49 pm

Avast Antivirus.

It is free, and works very well.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:03 pm

When you're off the internet, switch the antivirus software (& firewall!!!!) off, then they don't use CPU resources. But when you're on the 'net with Windows you HAVE to use them, and do regular scans vor virrii & spyware. That's how it is. Do you have a backup on CD-R of everything you don't want to loose?

Adaware is a good free spyware scanner
Play it safe!
:D

claudek

Post by claudek » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:59 pm

I used to only use a Mac before for last 8 years. My friend told me he would make me a custom PC for about 400E. He did, configured it well and I have been happy ever since for music making. I do like my IBook G4 for Live (dj and performance) . I have never had a virus and I am always online and downloading. I use Firefox, Firewalls all configured well, and AVG free virus SW.
I was really nervous first months online, my friend was laughing, and I am happy with my ASUS.I have to say thye speed vs dollar , PC wins.
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

drush

Post by drush » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:12 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
drush wrote:
i like the message you had before you edited it!! :P :P

"interesting, even from a mac guy"
:)

i changed it only b/c at first it wasn't clear that there actually is a mac version, which others might want to know.

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:29 pm

forge wrote:is there really that much of a difference?? I have had NAV corporate on my machine for ever and I'm sure I've tried disabling it while doing CPU heavy tunes and it hasnt made the slightest difference.

And it's always been good at the viruses, havent had one in a long time.
Corporate is another thing. However most people doesen't want to pay for a minimum of 10 boxes/downoads of NAV for Worksations at a price of 51.6 USD per box (516 USD per 10) ;) [Prices are from Symantec.com]
So for a home user it's either NAV standard version with all the extra bling bling or a clean and CPU nice NOD32.
If, however, you work for a really big studio that has managed antivirus solutions, or your regular company pays your music laptop (the laptop being for work, but also has happened to have some music program loaded into it - lucky bastards) - then NAV Corp might be a good choice.
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:31 pm

Thanks guys. I downloaded both the Avast anti virus SW and the Microsoft AnitSpyware tools. This is exactly what I was looking for. Gives me a sense of more security than I had. Both did scans and found nothing, which is a good start as any (considering that I had been surfing the internet for about a month now (but only on sites that I know and trust)).

I'll just turn off the network accessibility during performance. I can't imagine they would interfere with Live's ability to operate efficiently.

Thanks again,

rob.

Random_hero

Post by Random_hero » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:49 pm

I use Bitdefender and I love it.

telekom

Post by telekom » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:07 pm

As another user said, keeping your laptop off the internet is the best defence against internet nasties. But if you must be online then you could consider having two logins with different setups - one is firewalled and with all the antivirus sw on, the other with no f/wall and no av sw. Always go online with the firewalled login and never go online with the other login. The non-protected login won't stop you from infecting your machine if you're careless or unlucky but at least the system is set up more efficiently for music use. If you take all the right precautions when you're surfing you should be fine.

I use a mac and have occasionally used CLAMXAV. At work the PCs there all use Antivir, which is free (for personal use) and works fine.

A TV show did an experiment recently where they put a brand new, unprotected XP machine on the net with no firewall and no antivirus sw. It was overwhelmed and shut down in 45 minutes. :(
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone