using LIVE as main sequencer... !!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MM303

using LIVE as main sequencer... !!!!

Post by MM303 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:02 pm

hi,

I'm thinking about using ableton live as my main sequencer...

to get the best sound quality I would connect my rme multiface with an 8 out adat interface so I could go with 16 outs into my soundcraft ghost analog mixer... then I can use my external send effects..

but what about midi ??? I have several synth that I don't want to miss...
nord modular, supernova,... and a lot of analog stuff... pro one, 101, 909, juno 106, alpha juno, ...

I tried rewire connection between cubase sx and live... but I get too much erros...

what about syncing (no rewire) to other midi application via the loopback driver... on the same computer, like the older (vst 5.0) or even sx ( if rewire can be disabled????) or maybe fruityloops....???

what do you think about it...??
do you have made experiences in a similar setup...??

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:07 pm

i don't use too much rewire. i either use absynth or muzys when creating stuff to throw into live.

when using absynth, i don't use any sync (cause ya' can't), i just connect my controller, start up live and play around 'till i fond something that strikes my fancy, then i use the record option in absynth, save and the throw it into live for further mangling. with muzys, i sync it up with live and work that way. when i have something i like i render it to disk and throw it into live. rewire doesn't seem to make things as easier than it seems. it really only eliminates two steps. i get by just fine without it.

k

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:01 am

and what i totally forgot to say, is that i do use live for most of my sequencing, and i couldn't imagine an easier way to write music.

k

mm303

Post by mm303 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:57 am

<<<and what i totally forgot to say, is that i do use live for most of my sequencing, and i couldn't imagine an easier way to write music.>>>

that's it !!!!!!!!!!!

but I just miss midi to control my other machines....

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:48 am

Hey MM303

are you familiar with Touch Tracks in Logic? Its been there since version 4 or thereabouts I believe - It lets you trigger MIDI sequences with a single MIDI note and you can set quantisation/loop/transpose values - very simillar to LIVE.

Below is a repost of a rant I did a week or so ago. hope it helps or tweaks your interest..

cheers
paddy

------------------

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: LOGIC: Workaround until we get MIDI clips and VSTi's in LIVE
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Y'all

I've been experimenting with using "Touch Tracks" in Logic while running Live on the same computer. Its a crude but useable workaround if you want to...

A: send MIDI sequences to external equipment.

B: run MIDI sequences that play on VSTi's.

Say you want to run a VSTi sequence along with Live. (lets say an MDA Piano) Please forgive the long-winded instructions here, I've found that even a lot of die-hard Logic users aren't that familliar with Touch Tracks, just skip the bits you know....

1. Assign the MDA Piano to an audio instrument track in Logic.

2. Sequence the part.

3. Create a Touch Tracks object in the environment and tick it's "icon" box so that it shows up in the track instrument list.

4. Open an arrange page AND an environment page in the same screenset. In the environment page, double-click the Touch Tracks object. The Touch Tracks window should now open - it has a MIDI keyboard graphic down the left hand side. (At this point you can close the environment window and just keep the arrange and touch tracks windows open - I like to split the screen half and half vertically with a transport bar along the bottom.)

5. In the arrange page, create a new track and assign it to Touch Tracks from the instrument list. (It might be in a sub-menu such as MIDI Effects)
From here on in, keep the TT track selected in the arrange page. ie "listening" to incoming MIDI

6. Drag your MDA Piano sequence onto a key in the TT window. A la Live, there are options for "play on next 16th", "play on next bar" etc. I use "play on next bar". If you are using multiple MIDI sequences, you can assign them to groups so that each new sequence cuts of the currently playing sequence. Consult your Logic manual or online help for more info on TT triggering options.

7. Boot Live. It should open in Rewire slave mode as you already have Logic (the Rewire master) open.

8. Make sure Live's audio outputs are playing "thru" the Logic audio mixer.

9. Assign MIDI keys to Live clips and scenes in the usual way. When you want to trigger the MDA Piano along with a clip or scene, just give that clip or scene the same note you dragged the sequence to in Logic. and Voila!
I have been using a "one MIDI sequence-one Live scene" scheme and it works quite well.

NB: The sequencer clock must be already running to use Touch Tracks - this means you have to fire a clip in Live (or hit play) to start the system clock running before you can fire the Touch Track.

To sequence external MIDI gear, drag a normal Logic MIDI sequence onto the Touch Tracks page.

Once again, apologies for these rather long winded instructions. I know its quite a complex process, but as I haven't seen it mentioned before on the forum I thought it could be of help to anyone (like me!) desperate to get MIDI sequencing happening in Live.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

illtekk

Post by illtekk » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:46 pm

hola.

i use live as the main sequencer with some additional analog equuipment.

live sends master clock to a drummachine. the drummachine (jomox xbase) has the ability to create miditraks with his own sequencer . those patterns are sent to 3 synths and a sherman filterbank.

another possibility is to use a hardware sequencer ( i use regelwerk by doepfer same time for controlling live as a midi controller and as a sequencer for external equipment..

hope it will be a little bit helpful to find out the right setup for you.

regards!