question about playing live....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Paranoid

question about playing live....

Post by Paranoid » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:35 pm

I have a question for those that are gigging...maybe a stupid question but here goes..

When you have to follow another DJ do you let their track stop then start up your set or what? We cant really beat match to what they are playing so how do we go about this? A DJ following me should have no problem because he can just match his beat to what I am playing but playing after someone for me seems more problematic.

I have a redsound voyager that may help with this but was just wondering what you guys do. I have some gigs coming up and need all the live tips I can get!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 pm

If you can't beat match to them (and why not?) then why not just start out with a big pad sound, let that hang while the dj fades out his shit, and then start the sequencer?

But really, you should be able to get by with the tap tempo and some judicious arrow-keying in the tempo window.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:44 pm

i dont dj as such but what ive always thought effective (when in a club) is when you let it stop & then play a sample of something (speech, fx whatever, something slowed down & slowly sped up sounds cool), then bring in the tune. I think leaving a slight gap is a good way to let them know someone else is playing.

You could always just whack a delay over the other persons track when you get a convenient place & cut it to a decaying delay, that can sound better than letting the record play out, sounds more dramatic. Or you could just turn their deck off & let it slowly stop. I always like that one. then come in with something faster/darker/intense & more dramatic.

a shouting vocal sample is always a good way to changeover i think (as a person who doesnt dj!)

Paranoid

Post by Paranoid » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:45 pm

Well I would guess I could find their tempo...or even just use my redsound to find their tempo then go from their but...I pretty much always run at the same tempo..arond 128..so I would have a hard time following someone running much faster than that. The pad idea is a good one. I like it. ;)

I like how Oakenfold used to come on and unplug the guy before him's record..then he would wait a minute until people were wondering what was going on the.... throw his hands up and start his set...what a total asshole...funny though. ha. I usually start with a sample anyhow..I guess I could throw on a pad..then my sample...then I dont have to worry about the previous track.

Paranoid

Post by Paranoid » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:49 pm

Yeah see if you can figure out what sample I have at the beginning of this set->>
ha

http://www.mixdepot.net/SethDillanGavin/Lotion

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:31 am

Buy a MIDI controller!
I beatmatch back and forth between records and Live a lot. It just takes a bit more practice to get a feel for how the MIDI controller affects the pitch and the speed. It's WAY different than a 1200.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:35 am

...specifically a controller with proper encoders - then tweaking the bpm is a lot easier.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Paranoid

Post by Paranoid » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:38 am

Well obviously I have a controller..kinda hard to use live without one ;)