What do you use Live for?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How many of you use Live for . . . ?

How many people use live with band?
18%
How many people use live for DJ-ing
18%
Other uses? What are they?
18%
Compositional tool
45%

Total votes: 33

Henry Robinett

What do you use Live for?

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:59 pm

I'm still very new here. I'm also sure this question/poll has been asked a million times. As I look around it seems as though most people who use Live are DJs. How many use it with a band? Or what other uses do you have for it? I'm setting it up to use with my band and will be looking for a lot of help down the line. I'm been fence sitting. Now's the time.

Never done a poll before. Hope I get it right!
All the best,

Henry Robinett
Mac Pro 7,1 16 Core 160GB, MP 5,1/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6) ULN-2
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

xXxEVILxXx

Post by xXxEVILxXx » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:10 pm

you forgot to add the option "all of the above"!!!

:wink:

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:12 pm

i use live for djing (i have decided that my last dj gig will be on nye , it takes too much time to maintain a good dj set up to date )
it's at the centre of my studio for producing ,multitracking , mixing ,etc ,
i use it with my new band to trigger samples or loops & route mics into tracks for fxs ...
i think live users will get out of the dj thing , the dj thing is the easy way to play good tracks , i don't really think that long time users are still djing .

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:14 pm

I did leave out all of the above. Dang. Well I didn't give it a lot of fore thought. Or look for an option for more that one vote.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:54 pm

all of the above.

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:03 pm

Posted live with band, but all apply. though composition is done with both Logic and Live, plus Digital Peformer, and Reactor, Guru are as much a compositional tool IMO as either Logic or Live....

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:19 pm

I use it for compostion / experimentation / inspiration...

But just last night I was playing Live in a band. I had my PB hooked up to my Ozonic, I had two of my outs from the Ozonic going to two separate amps, one amp played the backing track and the other had my synths and weird sounds routed to it. I had the headphone running over to the drummer who was listening to the backing track and playing in time with it. I was triggering sounds and playing synth on the keyboard, and I had a bass guitar strapped around my neck.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:22 pm

This is a little disappointing so far for me. Granted there are something like 16 votes so far. But only 2, me being one of them, put down live with band.

I'm curious whether, since I haven't actually DONE it yet, in real world application, is it just way too difficult to coordinate drummer, controller(s), constructing the songs, setting it up both at home, rehearsal and gigs? Does it work well enough?

I'll certainly experiment and decide for myself. I know it's done a lot. I have a jazz group doing mainly original music. Not hip hop type stuff, generally.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:49 pm

I'm using it both as a composition/inspiration tool as well as with a band. In the band Live fulfills the role of sample and loop trigger/playback whatchumacallit, and vocal, guitar and Handsonic effect processor. I'm thinking of picking up a Chapman Stick, when that happens Live will be the effect box slash looping station for that baby, too.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:52 pm

All of the above. Although that was not a choice in your poll. :lol:
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:04 pm

Interesting. Now that I've totally screwed up this poll, maybe in the not too distant future I'll do another, better one. I can't really change the properties now.

I would also ask of the people who use it with a band how many use it as a [iSEQUENCER[/I] as oppsoed to a sound device for a controller? I'm most curious about warping and scene changes iwht sequences with a band.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:15 pm

This is a little disappointing so far for me. Granted there are something like 16 votes so far. But only 2, me being one of them, put down live with band.

I'm curious whether, since I haven't actually DONE it yet, in real world application, is it just way too difficult to coordinate drummer, controller(s), constructing the songs, setting it up both at home, rehearsal and gigs? Does it work well enough?
Well Henry, the program is called Live... if you're looking for a software application to use with a Live jazz band, this is the ticket.

Is it way too difficult? No. Is it easier than a slice of bananna pie with a hot co-co? No. What you want to do requires a bit of thought on how to spec out your system. A good bit of concentration to get to know the hardware and software you'll be using. And, most importantly, a willing + able drummer.

I don't do hip hip either.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:18 pm

I use it with 2 bands. Effectively the same people are in each band except a few are missing from the other one. Anyways....

I have used Live to record sessions, trigger samples, make weird noises with VST instruments, manipulate sound in realtime from miced up instruments and for my bass effects in conjunction with my FCB1010. :o

I love Live... can you tell?

Oh, and I come up with little ideas on it that I can pass on to other members. Kind of a sketch pad as a sort.... although lately they have heard a few full compositions I have done in Live that I let out of the closet and now they want that material too. And, here I was thinking I may release a solo album someday. :?
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:20 pm

i have a band called Belgradeyard Sound System. there's four of us on the stage (two laptops running Live, doublebass and sax) and one guy is doing visuals in realtime. we play really energetic jazz music with punk attitude, but in the spirit of the 70's avanguard jazz. we played all over europe.
i'm running drumms, percussions, noizes and piano on my comp, the other guy is making weird granular noizes on the top of it and plays brass sections.
we practice quite a lot and there's a lot of breaks and changings in our music. the good thing is that people are telling us that we DO sound as a band with live musicians. Chad Taylor (the drummer of chicago underground trio) told me that he never heard something like that (ok, he was a bit drunk :wink: ).
so, i say, if we can play free jazz with Live, anything else is possible.

http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:31 pm

WebSite! wrote:i have a band called Belgradeyard Sound System. there's four of us on the stage (two laptops running Live, doublebass and sax) and one guy is doing visuals in realtime. we play really energetic jazz music with punk attitude, but in the spirit of the 70's avanguard jazz. we played all over europe.
i'm running drumms, percussions, noizes and piano on my comp, the other guy is making weird granular noizes on the top of it and plays brass sections.
we practice quite a lot and there's a lot of breaks and changings in our music. the good thing is that people are telling us that we DO sound as a band with live musicians. Chad Taylor (the drummer of chicago underground trio) told me that he never heard something like that (ok, he was a bit drunk :wink: ).
so, i say, if we can play free jazz with Live, anything else is possible.

You guys have anything to listen to on your site.... I am not having much luck. :?