creating drum loops in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

creating drum loops in Live

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:38 am

I'm trying to record drum loops on the fly in Live by using a midi keyboard to trigger clips on different tracks (each track has a clip of an individual drum hit). I can get the keyboard to sucessfully trigger the drums, and Live seems to record the hits in the arranger view while I'm playing over repeating clips in the session view. However, I want to be able to record the drum clips I'm triggering to a new clip on a seperate track in Live (session view), so I can create a loop of basic kick and snare, then maybe create a second drum clip (loop) on another channel that is hi hats. It would be great to be able to send all of my drum tracks to Send 1 and then send send 1 back into a track and be able to record a clip of anything going into send 1. Is there any way to record clips you're triggering live with a keyboard into another clip????

Thanks,

Ryan

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:29 am

you can selct the input of a track to accept either the master out if you want to record everything out of your set, or sends only, which will obviously record only the output of your sends. that should get you what you need, if i understood you correctly.

k

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:49 am

dirtystudios wrote:you can selct the input of a track to accept either the master out if you want to record everything out of your set, or sends only, which will obviously record only the output of your sends. that should get you what you need, if i understood you correctly.

k
I've tried using the sends, but it is the output where you choose whether to have master out or sends only. If only you actually could have the sends as an input it would be great, but I don't have that as an option--just live in and master out. So if I "send only" all of my drum tacks, i can control their overall volume with the sends, but I can't figure a way to feed the "send 1" channel back to a track where I can record it as a clip. I would be great to be able to record clips into slops in the send channels stip. The best I've done so far is to "send only" all the drums sound tracks to send 1, then route that out from and back into (hello 3 ms latency) through my soundcard-not exactly the ideal solution. Thanks for you help, and any further ideas you may have.

Ryan

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:22 pm

you're absolutely right...i'm retarded. i responded without thinking, boy that was some good crack.

what you can do is this:

on the track that you wish to record your new clip, select 'master out' as your input. arm the track and press record, that should work for you. the upside to this is it can be done in realtime without missing a beat. the downside is that you're limited to recording everything that's coming out of live, so if you have a bassline happening alongside your drum beat, you'll need to stop it in order to render a clip with just the drums. i can't think of a way around that. so that'll have to do, unless some else can come up with a solution.

ableton, i think the option to select the sends as an input could come in handy in this very situation.

k

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:02 pm

Amen, Ableton would be very wise to allow sends to be routed back to an "in" on a track. This could solve lots of issues, like beiing able to overdub or consilidate/combine clips already in action on various channels. If you could send everything you wish to combine to the sends, then record the send as a new clip in a track, then you could overdub something live to the send track as you are recording the new clip with the material routed to the sends + the live part you are overdubbing. One other solution would be to actually be able to record clips into the sends' slots, with the same results--summing other clips into one, and allowing overdubbing on top of clips. I know our boys at Ableton can do this, please help us.

On a secondary note, any ideas as how to get dynamics in volume out of my drum hits as described in the first post--it seems they are just responding to the midi note on--therefore they are always the exact same volume each time.

m-laboratories

agreed.

Post by m-laboratories » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:45 pm

what a great thing this overdubbing would be... let's see it in 2.04, please!!

-chris.