OT: Electribe MX taking over my LIFE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andrew_

OT: Electribe MX taking over my LIFE

Post by andrew_ » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:29 pm

Is anyone else using this delightful piece of kit? I don't think I've run Live since getting the EMX home with me a couple days ago. I'm sure I'll come back to it but...gear that makes me put my Live use on hold? That is a FIRST. I'm going to have to pick up an ESX as well.

Just needed to share that. I can't find any Electribe forums in English.

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:56 pm

Definately a fan of the S version electribes and I'm really hanging to pick up an ESX. The original ES-1 has been part of my live rig since it came out and it's still going strong. Great improv jam box.

audioel

Electribe

Post by audioel » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:31 am

I'm strangely addicted to my Electribe EM-1. Just for building basic TR-like grooves, and simple monophonic lines. I find myself coming up with very useable stuff every time I sit down with it.

I scoffed at it when I first heard of it - Korg's "all in one" dance music production tool. After fooling with it for about 10 minutes, I realized it was one of those extremely musical instruments that are always underestimated. And I ran off and got one used for very little money. :)[/i]
Nude Photo Music
Visit our site at http://www.nudephotomusic.com
Follow us on http://twitter.com/nudephotomusic
Listen on http://soundcloud.com/nudephotomusic

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:46 am

I whole heartedly agree. There is an immediacy to the elctribes that is wonderful.

Great to play with and get synth or basslines with crazy knob action.

:)

rob.

andrew_

Re: Electribe

Post by andrew_ » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:40 am

audioel wrote:I scoffed at it when I first heard of it - Korg's "all in one" dance music production tool. After fooling with it for about 10 minutes, I realized it was one of those extremely musical instruments that are always underestimated.
I had pretty much the same experience, the thing didn't blow my mind 'til I played with a store demo...

Anyone have interesting bits to share re: syncing 'Tribes to Live?

audioel

EM-1 & live

Post by audioel » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:37 pm

Hi,

I always use the EM1 as the master, and Live as the slave. One thing I do to avoid suddent changes in patterns on the e'tribe is to record "transition patterns" that are 2 bars long - where the filter just winds down, or the volume drops, or the drums drop out, allowing me to jump into the next set of patterns along with Live.

Sometimes I've tried running the e'tribe through Live for processing, or also routing the MIDI from it to a softsynth. The only problem is that latency becomes really critical. You need to have a pretty fast audio interface for that to work.

Not much else to it really - I also sometimes take the EM1 out for my live DJ gigs, and just sync it up by ear with some basic beats to beef up my tracks in Live.
Nude Photo Music
Visit our site at http://www.nudephotomusic.com
Follow us on http://twitter.com/nudephotomusic
Listen on http://soundcloud.com/nudephotomusic

crawford

Guys...

Post by crawford » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:26 pm

Click the EXT button in Live and slave Live to your Electribes... H.O.L.Y C.R.AP.!!! you will be really addicted then...

grainshifter

Post by grainshifter » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:03 am

i have the esx1, which i love, esp. after starting my musical journey on its predecessor, the es1

since going LIVE, i haven't used it as much (esx1) though i would love to incorporate the two somehow...

i know this is a em1 thread, but how are you folks syncing live and the electribes together?

what are the pros and cons of slaving live to the electribe, as opposed to the other way around?

thanks all! more power to the LiVE 'tribe'

gs
inspiration. fingers. LIVE 7

computo

Re: EM-1 & live

Post by computo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:31 am

audioel wrote:Hi,

I always use the EM1 as the master, and Live as the slave. One thing I do to avoid suddent changes in patterns on the e'tribe is to record "transition patterns" that are 2 bars long - where the filter just winds down, or the volume drops, or the drums drop out, allowing me to jump into the next set of patterns along with Live.

Sometimes I've tried running the e'tribe through Live for processing, or also routing the MIDI from it to a softsynth. The only problem is that latency becomes really critical. You need to have a pretty fast audio interface for that to work.

Not much else to it really - I also sometimes take the EM1 out for my live DJ gigs, and just sync it up by ear with some basic beats to beef up my tracks in Live.
Why dont you sync it live?

suburbanbather

Re: OT: Electribe MX taking over my LIFE

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:51 am

andrew_ wrote: I don't think I've run Live since getting the EMX home with me a couple days ago.
Have you tried recording it into Live? Would be great to use it as a source of waves for Simpler/Impulse!

You have the blue one right? One of my friends has the blue electribe and it sounds surprisingly warm even though its digital. Its definiately because of that vacuum tube before the master out. Yea, the black one makes for a good 808/909 emulator, not as good as maybe a Vermona or Airbase though.

andrew_

Re: OT: Electribe MX taking over my LIFE

Post by andrew_ » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:15 am

suburbanbather wrote: Have you tried recording it into Live? Would be great to use it as a source of waves for Simpler/Impulse!

You have the blue one right? One of my friends has the blue electribe and it sounds surprisingly warm even though its digital. Its definiately because of that vacuum tube before the master out.
Yeah I've got the blue one, the sound of the vacuum tubes is definitely a big part of why I made the purchase, but only after getting it home did I discover the amazing workflow that comes with this box. Recording it into Live is gonna start happening really soon! Right now I'm just on this kick of producing these spacey grime-house tracks, 3-4 a day...

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:31 pm

Based on what type of sounds I've heard personally from that machine, I would say its "Perfect" for grime. That thing absolutely kills all of the Roland grooveboxes when it comes to sound. Don't know about programing em though.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:00 pm

I checked it today in a shop, interesting but the salesman, even though who himself has one wasnt able to answer if it is possible to program various velocities of say, BD or HH over a measure or more. Is it fixed and all you can do is accent ?
If so then can I program a part in Live or whatever and import to MX as midi file ?
What is the difference MX and EM ? I am not so keen on having sensible breakable valve so could live without it, perhaps EM will be better for me. If anyone knows both what would I miss getting EM ? Benefits are clear - no valve to break and 200-300 $ price difference

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:18 pm

you can program volume level of any kick (drum sound or synth) over any amount of time (which is tantamount to velocity for playback only). But you can't assign velocity sensitivity to pads if that is what you mean.

The MX has a lot more features for using it for live playback IMO than the older series.

rob.

edit: BTW, I hooked this up last night to Live and jammed with it. Its now going to be a permanent part of my set up. I need to go get the sampler version now too. Its just too much fun to play with these musically while you are triggering tracks in Live. Very complementary and a perfect back up in case your computer takes a dump during performance.

Can't beat the immediacy and quality of these units.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:30 pm

robtronik wrote:you can program volume level of any kick (drum sound or synth) over any amount of time (which is tantamount to velocity for playback only). But you can't assign velocity sensitivity to pads if that is what you mean.

The MX has a lot more features for using it for live playback IMO than the older series.

rob.

edit: BTW, I hooked this up last night to Live and jammed with it. Its now going to be a permanent part of my set up. I need to go get the sampler version now too. Its just too much fun to play with these musically while you are triggering tracks in Live. Very complementary and a perfect back up in case your computer takes a dump during performance.

Can't beat the immediacy and quality of these units.
No I dont mean sensitivity of pads
Velocity is not the same as volume. Velocity applies to particular midi event -note. Volume to a track. So for example in 4 measures 4x4 BD I would vary the velocity to bring life to otherwise boring sounding pattern