How do you swtich from a song to another in a LIVE SITUATION

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:22 pm

coming from a 'band' usage (as opposed to dj/ electro thing) I think there needs to be some better solution. The current solutions sort-of work for this situation... but are by no means great if you want midi control of scenes with a large number of songs at your disposal on the one live .set

drummond

Post by drummond » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:57 am

I have to agree with SongCarver. I currently use Live primarily in a relatively traditional band setup, triggering scenes (as verses, choruses, middle 8s, weird extra bits, etc) in a more-or-less rigidly controlled structure via a midi pedal. With each song is set up as described, I need to load a whole new set for each song! That's not to mention that each song has difference synths, vst effects, time sigs, etc.

I could set each song up so that it would fit into one set, but it would involve some compromise with certain songs...perhaps Live was not meant for this purpose. But with all the functionality and amazing features currently in the program, it would be a damn shame to ignore this area, surely?

Yeah, able to open another set via midi on the fly would be nice, but an easier way to switch between sets during a live show would be a whole lot nicer!

Just my opinion, not that this keeps me awake at night at all.... :lol:

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:53 pm

If you work with scenes it might be possible to put everything in one set. If you work with clips that you want to be able to launch individually, with buttons on a midicontroller, one set is never gonna work.

basetwo

Post by basetwo » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:00 pm

I do things in a similar fashion. I have about 20 songs that I have in Live now. I am a worship leader, so scenes are broken down into verse, chorus, bridge, etc. If I want to repeat a chorus or go back to the first verse of a song I can do it using a midi pedal while playing my guitar.

What I have done is created a "template" where drums are always on Channel 1, Bass on 2, etc. Then when I pick out the songs I'm going to use, I have to create a new set, and copy and paste all the clips into the new set, which is also based on the original template.

As stated this makes it more difficult to use different effects on each song and songs that have specialized instrumentation require a new/customized track. I can see why some sort of song management capabilities would be hard to code, though. I have the utmost confidence in the programmers to come up with something slick, though.

On another note, I've been using Live for performances where there are lighting changes (I currently have 12 light channels) and CD backing for choirs. I also plan on using it for plays and musicals for sound effects and lighting.
The question is not whether or not you are influenced, but rather what it is that influences you.
-----
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939/AMD 64
Seagate 80Gb/Samsung 120Gb SATA
1GB RAM/Delta 66/Firebox
32bit WinXP

grainshifter

Post by grainshifter » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:17 pm

i just had a string of succesful gigs where my partner and i ran live the entire set and played along with it...i on drums triggering samples via midi, him on keys, my powerbook and live5 in the middle.

yes, we created one live set, dragging separate .als projects into it to create the live live set.

for tempo changes we set up the "set" in the arrangement view and automated the tempo...this worked well b/c the whole set was "pre-meditated"

there have been certain situation where i've played live w live and needed flexibility for tempo changes, i've again utilized arrangement view and used the set markers midi'd to keystrokes and set the tempo according to each marker and corresponding key. i let the length of the marker be a ridiculously long period of time and when it came down to changing tempo, just hit the key....requires thought, obviously, and there might be a better way to do it,

but so far it has worked for me!

:wink:
inspiration. fingers. LIVE 7