RME multiface has resource conflict/Booting Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dj superflat

RME multiface has resource conflict/Booting Ableton

Post by dj superflat » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:20 pm

Off topic, but I've notice a fair number of people here use RME multifaces, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Decided to switch to a PC so I can run multiple instances of Reaktor in Live. Trying to switch my RME multiface from a powerbook to an HP zd8000 laptop, installed updated drivers and flash, Windows recognizes the card but won't let me select it as audio interface because it needs too many resources. I've tried disabling other things that might conflict, but no luck. Anyone else run into this problem? I'm wondering if it's the graphics card or the wireless card, neither of which I really need.

Also, was interested in the thread about skipping Windows boot, going right to Live, since I plan to only use Live and Reaktor on the machine. I assume Reaktor can just be opened as necessary from within Live, but was wondering if this couldn't be done if you need to run the drivers for the RME (perhaps you can use taskbar to open those after Live is running?). Thanks.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:47 pm

Not sure what you mean by "Windows won't let you use the card". If you have the card installed, the latest flash rom (came out 12/15) and the drivers, and you have the two icons on the icon tray, then it's working.

Just gotto launch live and select ASIO Hammerfall drivers, and you're good to go. Then you can load reaktor inside Live. Not sure about if there are any Rewire options with Reaktor and Live, as I don't use Reaktor.

Note, you cannot run two apps at the same time both using the same ASIO driver. At least not with the Hammerfall.

As for skipping Windows, that's just not a scenario at the moment. It's a lot of wishful thinking, but you need an OS to be able to run either Reaktor and/or Live on top of it.

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:20 pm

Anyone know if RME is planning on supporting the EWDM driver standard, to allow multiple audio streams from multiple apps using ASIO 2.0? That would rule...
Rapist | Serial mostly

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:24 pm

nebulae wrote:As for skipping Windows, that's just not a scenario at the moment. It's a lot of wishful thinking, but you need an OS to be able to run either Reaktor and/or Live on top of it.
I think the O.P. is referring to running a script to start XP without explorer and such, just Live.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:26 pm

Given that the Multiface is a 4+ year old product and a very mature standard, and no sign of those EWDM drivers, I wouldn't hold my breath.

M-Audio is much better about WDM driver support, but you won't get better converters than RME.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:13 pm

i done loads of research online, and it's a fairly common problem with PCs and PCMCIA cards -- windows will recognize the card, but will not let you select it as your interface because of a "code 12" error where there are "not enough resources" for the card. but even if you disable all other devices, there still aren't enough resources for the card. it's something to do with the drivers and where they place things in memory (not very specific, i know). and i have all the updated drivers, they don't solve the problem, nor does windows SP2, which solved the problem as to some PCMCIA cards.

as for the second question, yes, i was referring to the other thread (somewhat imprecisely). thx.

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:52 pm

could it be IRQ conflicts? go to control panel>system>hardware>device manager. expand your "pcmcia adapters" entry, right click on one of the controllers and go to "properties". In the properties, go to the "resources" tab and scroll down--there should be an entry for the IRQ channel number. There should hopefully be a box at the bottom of the properties window that says "conflicting device list" and ideally says "no conflicts." Does yours maybe list some conflicting devices? If so, maybe someone here knows how to re-assign IRQ, or maybe our good friend google knows, I'm not sure.
I feel like I've found a list of IRQ channel assignments in one of the control panel>administrative tools, but can't seem to find it now. Hope you get it to work, RME is the bomb.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net