Ableton Live 3 vs Tracktion 2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sturs

Ableton Live 3 vs Tracktion 2

Post by sturs » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:26 pm

Right, here is the scenario. I have Reason 3 and a demo of Live 3 which interact through rewire (Live as host) I have recently discovered that I can manipulate my Reason Audio through live, using effects & automation. While this may not be the most processor friendly method, I can rewire certain parts of Reason (together or separate) and manipulate them with great ease and speed to see what works and what doesnt before trying to emulate it in Reason. This obviously isnt the quickest of methods but being a demo Live cannot export as .wav or save as a project.

So, I would like to either register and activate Live 3 (if this is still possible?) or get something similar but cheap(ish) that can do the same job. Due to already having Reason 3 and liking the way that it works I dont really need Ableton 4 or 5 and have no interest at present at programing the midi for Reason via the host. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem of dropped midi notes that I have heard with Tracktion2.

In a nutshell I am looking for a rewire Host that can manipulate the incoming audio ala Live 3, but only syncronise with Reason, not control each device. I hope that makes sence. Oh, and lowish cost.

Does anyone use Tracktion2 in this way? Does it work without any hitches.

Does anyone think that one would be better than the other?

I am going to download the tracktion2 demo and see how I get on. If it can do the same thing I imagine that the results should be slightly better, being a newer program?

Any help/advice would be great. (unbiased please)

Thanks

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:38 pm

cool, cheap-ass host: EnergyXT - I don't know if it does rewire though, but it's cool and well worth checking out - esp. at 39euro 8O
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:48 pm

Tracktion is a good rewire host and works well.

sturs

Post by sturs » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:55 am

Thanks for the replys.

Does anyone know if its still possible to activate Live 3?