song size

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
substanz

song size

Post by substanz » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:46 am

Hi people ,my qustion is when you save a song , as in a bit of prodution , does the file for the song alway need to be so big , like the song i save is called song 1 , then there is a folder saying song 1 sound , and its about 218 meg , if every song i save is this big it wouldnt take long for the gig s to stack up . so do they have to be that big
:?

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:03 am

This isn't live's fault. It's the consequence of uncompressed audio. Everything in the "Sounds" folder is created automatically whenever live has to do some type of duplication or destructive editing (for example, when you hit the "reverse" button for a clip). Also, when you save as self-contained, live copies all of your data here.

It is possible to reduce this size by being smart about which files you use and such, but generally speaking, it's gonna eat up disk space. That's just the nature of the beast. :)

substanz

does cubase

Post by substanz » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:21 pm

does cubase take up as much space with its song file space as abelton

grfld

Re: does cubase

Post by grfld » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:16 pm

substanz wrote:does cubase take up as much space with its song file space as abelton
By default, yes. If you import a file into Cubase, it asks you to copy that file into the project-folder. If it is a compressed type, e.g. MP3, it asks you to convert this file, too.

Magix' Samplitude works without exeception on the original file type, this may also OGG or MP3.

Harddrives are so cheap, so using uncompressed files should be no problem and you'll benefit of the speedup, because no uncompressing is needet.

x/grfld