One more question about laptop hard drives

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Casual Beats

One more question about laptop hard drives

Post by Casual Beats » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:59 pm

first, thanks for all the help so far. Now my last question regarding this. A couple of people recommended that I use a 7200rpm internal drive for my laptop. Unfortunately it will take a while to get one, whereas I can get a 5400rpm one today. My question is

1. Do you think 5400rpm is enough for Live plus audio tracks (live on stage)? also
2. I am planning on picking up an external firewire hard drive to run my audio tracks (and vstis) - so is that a safe combo to use in a Live (on stage) environment - a 5400 rpm internal and a fast firewire external?

thanks all

D K

Post by D K » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:08 pm

i think it depends on the length of samples you use...
if you are using whole songs, like a dj, then that's alot of info and an
external would be ideal. using short samples, you can load them into ram
and they also tend to be easier to pull off the internal drive without errors.
i've actually done both off a 5200 internal, without any problems,
but it's less than ideal. also, it's best to stream mass info off a separate drive than your operating system drive, wether it's 5400 or 7200.
cheers
doug

just wanted to add that i don't know if vsti's can be run off a separate drive than the application..anyone?

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:25 pm

If the slower drive works, it works.
There are probably too many variables to predict beforehand.
That being said, you will see a definate improvement with a 7200rpm drive.
Live, I would not use an external drive at all just because it's one more thing to go wrong at set up time, especially under pressure.
One day you'll be setting up in a dead silent room with a bunch of people staring at you and you'll know what I mean...
I know that someone(s) will post saying that they used an external drive live every day at three shows per day at three different venues for that last six years and never had a problem but I don't care, just stick to the internal drive.

D K

Post by D K » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:56 pm

i personally don't use an external drive at this time, since i can load my sets into ram,
but there's lots of folks who have too much mass info streaming to be using just an internal without errors. it depends on your needs.
i've streamlined my sets to avoid the extra gear(for now).....
so...the point about setup/failure is a good one, but you can always have your
set loaded onto your internal just in case.
and on that note, you can also partition your external and run your os off of that should you have an internal failure. so...an external is also good for os/internal emergencies.
either way, as a professional you should always have a plan b, an ipod, tables, or cassete tape/player if nothing else, ready to mix in as a backup until you are up and running again.
i've had failures of every kind so far, internal and external, so i can attest to the importance of a plan b.
doug