which firewire hard-drives do you use? - help needed....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

Save some money

Post by jamief » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:00 am

http://www.jigsaw24.com/cats/offers/
on page 3 of the refurb units of the above link. Check the gurantee they will give i imagine it would be ayear with ability to adda an extended warranty ask though. Check if it is 9111 bridgeset

REFURB LACIE 200GB EXT D2 FW 7200RPM HD

£189.00 ex VAT
£222.08 inc VAT

THE LACIE DRIVE HAS BEEN USED BUT THE DRIVE AND ACCESSORIES ARE ALL FULLY COMPLETE.

LaCie's new d2 design features a sturdy aluminum case designed to enhance portability, durability, and appearance. Arrange them vertically on the desktop, horizontally stacked in a desk rack, or mounted in standard 19" racks with other devices.

LaCie Hard Drives are hot-pluggable, allowing for connecting and disconnecting while the computer is running. Compatible with Mac OS Windows, these drives enable simple cross-platform data sharing and exchange among workstations.

Transfer rates of up to 400Mbits/sec provide throughput necessary for demanding applications like audio, video and digital imaging.

Features:
* Spacious storage capacity: up to 250GB of additional storage
* Increase data transfer rates: transfer rates of up to 400Mbits/sec
* Enjoy greater mobility: slim design with sleek aluminum case
* Versatile configuration: stackable desktop or rackmount design
* Plug and play: automatic configuration for Mac and PC

jamief

more savings

Post by jamief » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:02 am

http://www.jigsaw24.com/cats/offers/
under page 2 of refurb

REFURB FORMAC 120GB PRODISC EXT FW 7200RPM HD

£139.00 ex VAT
£163.33 inc VAT

THE FORMAC 120GB DRIVE HAS BEEN OPENED BUT THE DRIVE AND ACCESSORIES ARE ALL FULLY COMPLETE.

Formac ProDisc Hard Drives bring the power of Firewire to your desktop. With capacities ranging from 60 to an incredible 120GB, you can be sure that all your data is always accessible from your desktop- where you need it most. No more faffing around with SCSI IDs, cables or cards- simply load the extension, power up the ProWrite and plug it straight into your Mac with the bundled Firewire cable. It couldn't be easier.

Features:

Ultra Fast:
* Ultra fast FireWire technology and new Oxford 911 chipset mean blistering performance. Up to 38MB/s sustained write!

Quiet:
* Hermetically sealed enclosure virtually eliminates noise of drive

FireWire:
* Hot-swappable

Driver: Software included:
* Mac Requires OS 9.1 or OS X
* PC Requires Win 98SE and above.

Mark Henning

Post by Mark Henning » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:12 pm

wow jamie - thanks a bunch... i actually called jigsaw this morning - they didn't tell me about the refurbs though.... been looking at a lacie - that 200gb looks like a good bet...

thanks again :D

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:17 pm

Mark Henning wrote:wow jamie - thanks a bunch... i actually called jigsaw this morning - they didn't tell me about the refurbs though.... been looking at a lacie - that 200gb looks like a good bet...

thanks again :D
Synchroncity in action eh !

Ask for Rachel she's really good. Tell her Jamie (ex 55 degrees) says hi for me.

good luck

J~F

Mark Henning

Post by Mark Henning » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:26 pm

cool - 1 more quick question - so you're really happy with your com5?

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:35 pm

Mark Henning wrote:cool - 1 more quick question - so you're really happy with your com5?
Yes so far so good that's about 10 months now. I should add that mine is called and icebox and not made by Com5 but it looks the exact same unit
Just check with Rachel about the 911 bridgset on the com5 she wasn't sure what 911 was 16 months ago when iwas asking about another drive for video where it is even more crucial to get the best through put. The 911 is like a gate that is wider than the standard gates allowing more data through simoultanously.
Bare in mind firewire 800 mbs is now available and we should start to see devices and drive bridgsets designed to accomodate that soon. But this will always be limited by the data throughput and speed (Rpm) of your drive, so whilst gains can be made bridgset wise faster dirves are needed to really exploit that extra potiental say at least 10000rpm anmd there are 13000 rpm drives out there too.

Go with the flow

best

J~F :P

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:09 pm

Mbazzy:

thanks for the link - nice to see an actual comparison of transfer rates between firewire and usb 2.

Arp
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

m-laboratories.net

question

Post by m-laboratories.net » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:39 pm

I would love to get one of these for my computer, but the problem is:

I am afraid to get another USB device because I will already be running three devices via USB simultaneously. This would make a fourth.

Would the bandwidth of my chipset somehow compromise the performance of the USB devices, or ... does it not work like that?

trietnam

Re: which firewire hard-drives do you use? - help needed....

Post by trietnam » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:48 pm

Mark Henning wrote:hello all.

i want to get an external firewire drive for live performances...

what are your experiences (bad & good) of using firewire hard drives live.... is it worth spending more and getting an audio specific one like a glyph?

if you haven't got time to answer all that then just saying which one you use (and if you're happy with it) would be nice

any help would be much appreciated... :)

thanks

mark
hi mark,

you can build a firewire drive yourself for MUCH cheaper than what glyph or almost any other company will sell you, and most likely have a better solution to boot. take any firewire enclosure with an oxford 911 chipset (this is very important as the chipset will determine the ultimate performace of your drive) and couple it with a drive with at least 7200rpm, and you'll be set.

i wanted maximum performance, but also a very quiet setup. western digitals are known to have some of the best performance, but they are loud as hell. my desktop machine has 2 western digital drives and i can't believe how annoying loud they are, even while in idle mode.

i opted for a maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 8meg cache drive. the benefit of these drives is that they use fluid dynamic bearing motors, which significantly lower the noise of the drives. this is the same technology used in the ultra quiet seagate barracuda drives.

you can find more info about the drives here

http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ata/r ... /index.htm

for my enclosure, i went with a speedzter 3. it supports usb 2.0 along with firewire, for the best flexibility in connectivity. the beauty of this one is that the case is entirely made of aluminum, which allows for greater heat dissipation. also, the power supply is located outside of the enclosure, so there isn't a noisy fan.

see this page for more info

http://www.datoptic.com/E3.pdf

so my total cost was

$150 for the 200 gb drive
$100 for the enclosure

$250 total. i think that's a pretty good price. shop around for some of the premade solutions and you'll probably see them costing at least $50 more. some are probably even over $100 more.

i've been using this setup for about a month and am really happy with it. good luck!

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:53 pm

Nice info - the WD drives might as well be motors...
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

trietnam

Re: which firewire hard-drives do you use? - help needed....

Post by trietnam » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:55 pm

trietnam wrote: so my total cost was

$150 for the 200 gb drive
$100 for the enclosure

$250 total. i think that's a pretty good price. shop around for some of the premade solutions and you'll probably see them costing at least $50 more. some are probably even over $100 more.

i've been using this setup for about a month and am really happy with it. good luck!
oops, just realized that you were in the UK.

i'll convert these numbers into something that you can parse. :D

$250 = 150.521 GBP