problems with windows re-install

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
martin808

problems with windows re-install

Post by martin808 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:40 pm

I've just done a full windows re-install.

Only problem is windows has automatically assigned drive letters and my audio drive that was E: is now C: and my program drive which was C: is now D:
this means my live sets cant find any audio because it's looking in the wrong drive.
Live has no search function and I have to locate each file individually.

Thats going to take forever..... :evil:

anyone know how to change drive letters or fix this problem another way?

billy rockwell

Post by billy rockwell » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:08 pm

right-click my computer ...click manage....go down to disk management.....right click drive letter you wish to change....select change drive letter........done.
E 6850 Core2Duo 3 Gig ddr2
Live8 Suite
Renoise
Moog Lil Phatty
APC 40
RME Fireface 400

http://balanced-records.com/billy_rockwell/
www.facebook.com/billyrockwell

martin808

Post by martin808 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:15 pm

sorry, i should have said,

the program partition and the audio partition are on the same drive. If i try change the drive letter it says "windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume"

my program partition says "boot" and the audio partiotion says "system"

amo

Post by amo » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:32 pm

well... you just installed windows on the wrong HDD right ? When you install windows, it gives you the choice of the HDD you want to use. I guess you chose the wrong one. Maybe it would be faster to re-install it on the right HDD ?

Best of luck,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:24 pm

Try booting up into safe mode (hold down F8 after the bios flash) and then doing the above letter-switching operation.

difference

Post by difference » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:59 pm

Windows has assigned given your OS drive/partition a letter other than C?

Wierd man. It should always label the "system" drive as C.

Don't think I can help, but a reinstall may be preferable to locating every single audio file in every project.

info_warfare

Post by info_warfare » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:18 pm

And THIS is why Windows is a pain in the @ss...

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:24 pm

Check to see if there's a windows folder on your other partition.. I don't think you installed it from scratch, meaning... there's a part during a re-install that specifically asks you whether you want to install over your current windows folder (which it doesn't recommend) and if you click through it without reading, it will install a seperate windows folder on another available drive. If you do a reinstall and pay attention to that question, you should be back to square one. My recommendations are always install from scratch, don't try to re-install or upgrade, and then make a drive image with a utility like Ghost... it'll save you alot of hassle in the long run.. Cheers.

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:25 am

i think you're gonna have to do a reinstall.

while you're at it, make sure to do the f6 thing when starting the install and disable acpi - i've found that that one change makes live much more stable.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:48 am

man, i'd read as much as i could about acpi vs standard pc before deciding to go the standard pc route. for one thing, iirc you can go acpi-->standard but if you don't like it, you can't switch back.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:53 am

from music xp

The only time that the "Standard PC" mode can be recommended with XP, is when you are experiencing audio card or other problems (possibly relating to IRQ sharing/stacking), and only when you have exhausted all other possible causes.

If you have one of the more modern motherboards that has APIC capabilities, then it is definitely recommended that you install Windows XP as an ACPI computer.

In fact, installing Windows XP as a "Standard PC" on an APIC compatible computer will probably result in reduced performance and a reduction with overall reliability.

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:19 am

hmmmm. i also read up extensively on acpi vs. non. once i reconfigured without acpi i found the system to be more reliable, the latency was down to 3ms.

longjohns - do you have a link to have musicxp article?

kim