Audio interface problems?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Audio interface problem poll... Mac OS 10.4 users only

I use an M-Audio interface, and everything works perfectly
31%
I use an M-Audio interface, and have audio problems
27%
I do not use an M-Audio interface, and everything works perfectly
31%
I do not use an M-Audio interface, and have audio problems
11%

Total votes: 55

Cone

Post by Cone » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:57 pm

Lexicon Omega Studio here. No problems with Live 5.0.3 / Mac OS X 10.4.3.

live4live

Post by live4live » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Mac 10.4.3 and Presonus Firepod here. I have occasional pops and clicks when a song is first opened but that gets better. Seems like very high cpu usage though.

Generally I am dissapointed with Mac.

The Firepod works great on my windows machine.

Have not tried M-Audio but have heard bad things elsewhere as well as here at Ableton.

pbajzek

Post by pbajzek » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:59 pm

I have both an Ozonic and a Firebox (I do not use both at the same time on the same machine), and they run great. The only audio-glitch-type problems I have are due to slow CPU (my PowerBook is an 867 G4). I bought the Ozonic with some hesitation to use as a MIDI controller only (I've had bad experiences before with M-Audio for, well, audio). But it has worked fine, even as an audio interface for live use. In fact, I will be gigging with it this weekend.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:19 pm

I voted with a bit of haste. The moment after I submitted my vote I thought, wait, nothing in the DAW world works perfectly, what was I thinking?

Then I remembered that with my Ozonic I have had short drop outs, I refer to them as burps, because they were so slight that they didn't really disrupt the flow of what we were doing. But yeah, it has burped,

And the token DAW crackle + pop. Whenever that happens I immediately go in and adjust my buffer. But that sort of thing just seems to be the way it is, so I don't really think about it.

I'm glad the 01V is working out for you, but it's a pretty different beast than the Ozonic, so a preformance comparison seems pretty moot to me.

live4live

Post by live4live » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:43 am

"Whenever that happens I immediately go in and adjust my buffer."

I dislike having to adjust the buffer greater than 512 samples per second, as soon as I do that I can feel the latency. I think that achieving low latency,without pops and clicks, should be a priority in this business.

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 am

RME MultiFace + Cardbus

Absolutely no problems.

Great sound.

Extremely low latency.

Perhaps the best VALUE in my setup for years!

amo

Post by amo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:15 am

Pilgrim wrote:RME MultiFace + Cardbus

Absolutely no problems.

Great sound.

Extremely low latency.

Perhaps the best VALUE in my setup for years!
word. excatly the same here.
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:44 am

henry ford wrote:whats the quality of the AD DA's like ?

seems like it would be a great card for performing with.....but can it compete with an apogee mini dac in terms of quality ?
The 01V certainly sounds better than the Ozonic... especially the lack of popping, clicking, and unplanned silence! I can't compare it to the Apogee stuff, but the Yamaha tech geek I spoke to says that the 01V/96 converters are superb and much better than those in the 01V. But then he works for Yamaha...

xone:

Post by xone: » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:57 pm

RME sounds good. But the product site says it only has 1 monitor out, that means it can't be use for djing with ableton? Am I correct?

I've been using novation x-station as a i/o for producing, but now I needs i/o which seperate monitor our available for diing though.

Supposed to buy Firebox, but wondering RME...
Live 8/ OS X 10.6 /
Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz /HDD Glyph /krk v8 / novation x-station /
-VSTs-
FM8, Massive, Kontakt, Pro 53
Korg legacy collection, Trilian, Gradiator,
Sound Toys, SPL, PSP, Sausage Fattner

sjeffh

M-Audio Experience

Post by sjeffh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:45 pm

I use a Radium-49 controller. With regard to software, I've had few if any problems. However, I am including the problems I've had with the keyboard actually working properly when I say I've had problems with the interface. The problem is that two keys, struck with equal force, may send out velocity messages of VERY different values. Actually, it's just a couple of keys that would seem to be much less responsive than the rest. Aside from this, I've had no problems. Unfortunately, this in itself is a pretty big pain...

Jeff
Live version 5.0.2 with Windows XP SP2

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:24 pm

i have a 410 for my 1 G power book and have had no problams

i always used it on 2048 sample buffer untill the last updat, now i can run it on 128 (using only audio tracks)

i do get digital crackles if i try to bus a lexicon mpx with the s/pdif i/o

m-audio tells me that you can't use a digital effect processor this way
(which is B.S. as it works fine with both digi cards i'v used (001 & 002r))

lexicon tells me that i can run the unit this way but it makes sence that it wont work on the 410
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:48 pm

I had no problems what so ever with my Firewire Audiophile.
Recently bought a Firewire 1814 and it tends to sort of loose connection...
So I`ll have to turn the unit off and back on again for it to work properly.
There is also some issues with the drivers, as I`ve had to reinstall them to
get the midi i/o to work.
Apart from that.. no problem with audio at all

sonsofthehounds

01v

Post by sonsofthehounds » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:04 pm

very interested about this mlan on the 01v hambone.

I currently use an a 410 and use the analog outs to connect into channels in my 01v.

This seems like a very convoluted way to do things and essentially things are going through two full d/a processes so the audio is being number crunched twice.

What i would like to know about the 01v with an mLAN card is(if you wouldn't mind answering)-

can i directly assign channels within live to any channel within the 01v and therefore access the efffects and eqs etc.?

does it only support 8 channels of the 01v? ie virtual channels 17-24? and if that is the case, will it disable the current 8 analog in card i have? as far as i recall there is only one cards slot on the back of the 01v.

What is the latency like with multi channel support from live? and what are the buffer settings you use?

I am using 10.4.3 on a powerbook 1.5ghz, any issues with that?

for audio input into live, can i just select one of the 01v's input channels on a record enabled track?

thanks for any help in advance.

best.
macbook 2.16 ghz, live 6...studio with gear now gathering dust.

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:09 am

audiophile sucked for me in the past. fw410 sucks for me now. i just use the onboard now and everything works just fine (albeit at 16 bits 44.1).
crap, i say. crap.
Don't tell me I installed them wrong, either. I'm a f'n pro, dudes.