San Francisco User Group at Robotspeak

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jesse

San Francisco User Group at Robotspeak

Post by Jesse » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:27 am

Hi All,
I'll be joining the Robotspeak crew for a user group meeting in San Francisco next Thursday, January 12th from 5:30-7:30

Come by and join us if you're in the area,

Best,
Jesse

ROBOTSPEAK SF STOREFRONT
589 1/2 haight st. @ steiner
San Francisco, CA 94117
ph 415.554.1977
fx 415.554.1988
toll free ph 1.877.3 ROBOTS
hrs: 11:00-7 mon-fri // noon-6 sat & sun

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:32 am

say hi to chachi jones for me.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:32 am

from faster faster
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:36 pm

oh wow... what's going to be going on there?
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 pm

I'm not sure what level of crowd we'll have there, but we'll go over some basics, and more advanced stuff depending on who shows up. Basically, I'll informally take your questions about how to do different things, and show some cool features. That vague enough for you?
Best,
Jesse

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35 pm

fair enough. got some questions regarding Live DJ'ing so i'll more than likely be there.
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:55 pm

traffic's gonna be a bitch but whatever, im going.
some kind of emachine computer/ pentium 4/ 2.53 ghz/ 100gb HD/ 150gb HD/ 1gb RM/ live 5/ Ni Komplete 2/ delta 1010/ triggerfinger/ keystation pro 88/nord lead 2 rack

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:00 pm

it's not so much the driving as the parking. it might be early enough that people won't be back from work yet. I guess it's an excuse to get out of work early.

or take the 22... SF's rolling freakshow.

RobertX

Grrrr

Post by RobertX » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:12 am

Didn't see this post until the 12th. Dammit! :evil:

Will attend the next meeting in SF.

adidasguy

my notes from Jesse's Robotspeak presentation in SF

Post by adidasguy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:14 pm

I attended the presentation by Jesse at Robotspeak last night.

I had a great time. Thank you Jesse, thank you nice people from Robotspeak for making your space available for this informative meeting.

This was my first time at an Ableton User Group meeting, and my first time at Robotspeak. It was a very neat place.

The demo was done on a Mac.

*** Please note that this was my interpretation of what I heard, I have not done extensive research to fix mistakes in this posting, but all mistakes are entirely my own. Please correct me on anything! ***

Jesse, sorry I didn't shake your hand, but I thought I would share with the rest of the people who weren't there some of the topics that were discussed, some of the things that were discussed, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Some of the topics that were discussed were (in random order):
* Things you can do with the library
* New features of Live 5
* The SupaTrigga VST Plugin
* The BeatRepeat Audio Effect
* Freezing clips
* Impulse - features, how to use, etc.
* The differences between the different warp modes
* Keyboard Shortcuts
* Music to listen to, artists to see
* How some musicians use Live
* NAMM is coming up!
* Crossfading
* Follow Actions
* "I didn't know Live could do that!"

Some of the things that were mentioned were:
* You can have combine audio from a bunch of tracks into a bus tracks and apply effects to that group of tracks from one place
* KVR-VST.com is a great place to get free VST plugins
* Angstrom helped developed supatrigga (or something to that effect)
* Saving using "save as..." doesn't create a new sounds folder...
* Saving using "Save as self contained" copies sounds into sounds folder
* The arrangement and session views have different copies of your clips, making changes in one doesn't affect the other...
* Once a clip is frozen, you can copy the frozen clip from the sounds folder in finder on the mac back into a different clip slot
* Everyone uses live differently!
* Robert Henke is able to build a whole drumset from a single sine wave(!!!!)

Some feature requests made for the next version of Live:
* Adjustable wet/dry in beat repeat (i.e. mix mode uses 50:50 wet/dry mix, it would be cool to adjust that in real time)
* Follow actions on scenes in the session view (as someone suggested, the best workaround for that right now is to set the same follow action for all clips in the scene, but this won't work for certain follow actions such as random...)
* If you call your scene "135BPM" to set the tempo, you can't put anything else in the name "abc 130BPM" or "130BPM-Scene A" (my observation, PC Live 5.0.1)
* You should be able to create a new track by dragging an existing clip next to the last track in the same way you drag a clip next to the last track from the library browser
* More File Browsers!
* A dedicated Library browser (one always pointing to library)

Some questions asked:
* What are some of the new features of Live 5?
* My supertrigger can't play my impulse drum kit, what am I doing wrong?
* How do you create new loops based on material in existing loops?
* How do can you create rhythmic patterns from a single short clip?
* How do you put everything together to make a set
* Where did my audio files go? I imported a track from Reason....
* Sometimes the vertical line that indicates the current position of audio that is playing is off, what do I do?
* many more

Some recommendations that were made:
* Don't quantize midi in, you can quantize later...
* The metronome volume is controlled by the solo knob next to master volume
* For a faster preview of clips, use a smaller global quantization amount
* On a MAC, don't rename files in finder, do it in the song your working on
* If working with vocals, it's a good idea to put songs written in the same key in the same set
* You can set up a mix bus track so that you can apply FX to tracks 1 + 2 + 3, etc.. (i.e. "combine tracks"/ "merge tracks")
* Live + supertrigger is a good combination (use patch 8 in supertrigger to trigger live (triggers impulse?))
* To see how long your song is, look a the bottom of the arranger view, it shows total time
* If you don't like when you change a clip (i.e. it falls on the 2nd beat instead of the 1st beat, use "cut time" in arranger view to delete the first beat (select the single beat for all your tracks and do the cut time)!
* You can set the follow action for multiple clips at once - select the clips in session view, and set the follow action

How some people work with live:
* Monolake only uses 6 tracks, moves some clips around do looping on the fly
* Meat Beat Manifesto apparently works mostly in the arranger view
* everyone uses live differently!

Some of the things that were demoed were:
* How to build a small drum kit (hi-hat, snare, bass drum) based on the recording of a hand clap
* How to extract and play an audio clip out of a song (an Mp3 file)
* How follow mode works - a set was opened that consisted of about 5 tracks each with about 8 scenes that each had short clips, and each clip had a random follow action (very cool set to watch!)

Some of the things that were recommended for learning Live:
* Read Ableton Live 5 Power
* Do the Ableton Live 5 tutorials

How can you make new beats from existing clips (i.e. do something like suppatrigga manually)?
* Set up a bunch of interesting clip envelopes (start/end markers in the clip you're working with)
* Re-arrange these clip slices in arranger
* Don't forget to set loop points in arranger to loop your current work area...
* Don't forget to reverse some clips
* Don't forget to add silence once in a while...
* Consolidate the new clip in arranger
* Add your new clip to your library
* In session view, drag it into a slot from your library!

How can you make rhythmic patterns using a short clip?
* Use unlinked volume envelopes
* Put the clip in impulse and create the rhythmic pattern in impulse
* Set up the rhythmic pattern in the arranger view

Artists people mentioned you should listen to if you're interested in Live:
* Basebin Twins (Pete Basebin), funky, DJ, does lots of tempo shifts...
* Miagy (?)
* British Motor Boys (www.dj-surgeon.com)
* Monolake
* Meat Beat Manifesto
* Surgeon
* Sasha (for some drum & bass)
* The Brazilian Girls
* Soundtrack...
* Kid Beyond
* Kid 606

--- Playing With Other Musicians at the Same Time / Synching Laptops ---
* The recommendation for the best way to synch up multiple laptops is by getting them all connected to an external MIDI device like a drum machine
* One person says they use a MAM hardware arpeggiator, it's a small box and emits MIDI beat clock out
* Remember to adjust latency compensation on each machine (play the metronome track to see how in synch you are with other people)
* Red zone makes a device that sort of works with Vinyl
* Jesse uses Intime when playing in his band with his brother who plays the drums. Intime uses up a lot of room on the screen
* I believe Jesse mentioned he wrote a tutorial for Remix magazine on how to use Intime (but I can't find it online)
* Use the tap feature to set the tempo
* Map a slider to a range of tempos - in arranger, you can set the minimum and maximum tempo for the tempo when assigning a MIDI controller (remember that MIDI only allows you to select from 1 of 128 values, so use some basic math to get even intervals if you want)
* Some people assign their tempo to a pitch bend control (I would assume one that returns to the center, so you can do pitch shifts, let go, and return to the same tempo you started at)
* If you name your scene "135BPM" it will play at 135 BPM! (and the triangle in the scene slot turns from grey to orange)
* Make it possible to use live with Serato and final scratch
* There is Max MSP module (Mispinky) that works like Serato or Final Scratch, it's a bit harder to use, but...
* Bidule makes something useful too (converts OSC to Midi clock (?))
* Someone saw Ritchie Hawtin perform at the Mezzannine - he was using Live on one laptop and Final Scratch with the other

--- MAC Keyboard Shortcuts ---
* Apple-l does a loop in arrangement
* Apple-J does a join/consolidate in arranger (but doesn't consolidate effects, resample to do that)
* Apple-B changes you to the pencil too
* Shift-Tab in session view moves you from clip/sample/envelope view to audio effects view
* Tab moves you from session view to arranger view
* Apple-0 - changes global quantization to none
* Apple-9 - changes global quantization to 1 bar
* Apple-6 - changes global quantization to 1/16 note

--- Clip Freeze ---
* Helps you maximize CPU usage
* You can't edit
* You can unfreeze (and re-edit)
* When you use this, you can share your sets with your friends who might not have the plugins you have

--- Replace Arrangement With Track Button ---
* When you press this, the session overrides what the arrangement is doing
* You can tell the arrangement is not being used because the arrangement track is greyed out
* If you decide to work for Ableton, they will probably ask you what this does...

--- Crossfading ---
* Don't forget you can set key commands to set crossfader to max right or max left!

--- The Warp Modes ----
* The analogy is to think of your audio clips as being elastic. The endpoints are where the beats land, and you can control these. Ideally you want your warp markers to coincide with the rhythmic pattern you intended.

* The benefits of warp markers is that you can fix timing errors in performances that would be hard to do in other programs

* Live's warp engine enables clips at different tempos being played together at the same time. Live slows down the faster clips, speeds up slower ones as necessary while preserving pitch.

* The Live warp modes are:
- Beats
- Tones
- Textures
- Re-pitch
- Complex

--- The Beats Warp Mode ---
* Beats makes slices the size of the transient amount specified, and uses those slices to "fill in the blanks"
* A cool beats mode trick - slow down the bpm of a loop to a number that it divides into, (ie 60, 30, or 40 BPM for a 120 BPM loop), you might get interesting effects

--- The Tones warp Mode ---
* Good for speeding up a loop

--- The Complex Warp mode ---
* Good for slowing down a loop
* The complex warp mode is a CPU hog
* Good for manipulating 80's funk
* Good for DJing, dealing with mixed media
* New to live 5!

--- The Textures Warp Mode ---
* Good for atonal sounds
* Good for textured sounds
* Good for absynth noise pads

--- The Re- pitch Warp Mode ---
* Sounds like a record player
* Doesn't chop up audio
* Good for DJing
* People are used to hearing this

--- The Beat Repeat Audio Effect Module ---
* A comparison of the 3 different mix modes:
- Mix - original signal is combined with the output of beat repeat (uses a fixed 50:50 wet/dry ratio - someone suggested you should be able to change the wet/dry ratio for this)
- Insert - plays only what beat repeat played - does not play original audio
- Gate - ...

* The grid control controls the size of slice to repeat

* The variation control alters the size of ....

* To get the warp records style sound, use no tripplets, causes even divisions only

--- Some New Features of Live 5 ---
* MP3 support
* The library
* New audio effects units: beat repeat, saturator
* New MIDI effects units: arpeggiator
* When in session view, you can drag a whole ALS into your session view, which allows you to add all the session clips. You can specify where to drop these clips (this was referred to as "Consolidate Songs into Sessions")
* "The orange dot" feature - aka the nudge feature
* Rename in library

--- Useful Keyboard Shortcuts ---
* To create new scene from the scenes currently playing press ctrl-shift-i on a pc
* In session view, to switch between clip view and audio sample view press shift-tab
* To switch between arrangement view and session view, press tab

--- The Suppatrigga VST Plugin ---
* Developed by smart electronix
* Free plugin
* Bram is about 25, other guys there are about 17 or 18
* 8 is a good granularity setting, higher creates a more glitchy sound
* Use the rearrange probability slider to determine the % chance the audio is rearranged
* Remember that suppatrigga works like a delay.... when you change something, it happens one bar into the future!
* Apparently (on a mac), if you are a slave laptop to a master laptop, suppatrigga might make horrible noises, therefore only use it if you are the master laptop

--- Plugins ---
* There are 1000s of free plugins for the PC
* There are only dozens of plugins for the MAC

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:37 pm

Wow! Thanks for coming out. and thanks for that summary. We covered a lot. For those of you who missed it, the Robotspeak guys have a lot of Live knowledge, and the best audio toys around. -- check them out! A few minor clarifications:

* The SupaTrigga VST Plugin is not an Ableton plug-in, but a great, free audio rearranger -- try using it together with Beat Repeat...I belive it was Funkstorung that helped develop SupaTrigga, along with Bram@SmartElectroix. Angstrom has created a great Loop plug in though.

* Saving using "save as..." doesn't create a new sounds folder...

Save As does create a new Sounds folder. Save a Copy is the method I was using, for old versions of songs. Just don't erase those sound files unless you are sure, or save each old version Self Contained, if you have a lot of storage space.

* Robert Henke is able to build a whole drumset from a single sine wave

Actually, he can create whole sets of sound (and so can you), not just drums. Check out this video of Robert Making rain from a small sound wave:

http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... s-rain.mov

* My supertrigger can't play my impulse drum kit, what am I doing wrong?

This was a Trigger Finger problem, and seems to me to be that the person who had the problem needs to download the original presets from M-Audio and reset the Trigger Finger with Enigma.

* Live + supertrigger is a good combination (use patch 8 in supertrigger to trigger live (triggers impulse?))

That's Trigger FInger too, supa trigga is the plug-in.

*Circular Logic InTime Tutorial
Here's a link:
http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_master_un ... index.html

Once again, I really appreciate the summary, thanks to all who showed up and chimed in, and thanks to RobotSpeak for hosting us, and for teaching me a few new tricks in Live.

Best,
Jesse

audioel

Robotspeak speaks

Post by audioel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:12 am

Thanks to everyone that made it out, and to you Jesse for hooking it up. Even I learned some new things. :)

I'm going to be putting together another Ableton class in February at Robotspeak. We'll firm up the dates after NAMM - so stay tuned!

Regards,

- Gustavo
Nude Photo Music
Visit our site at http://www.nudephotomusic.com
Follow us on http://twitter.com/nudephotomusic
Listen on http://soundcloud.com/nudephotomusic

piglatin

Post by piglatin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:27 pm

thanks for the detailed recap!

pussErox

Re: my notes from Jesse's Robotspeak presentation in SF

Post by pussErox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:55 pm

adidasguy wrote:* Sasha (for some drum & bass)
wtf... 8O

fossilfool

Please email me about the next Robot Speak / Ableton event

Post by fossilfool » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:21 am

Sorry I missed this one. I'd love to come out to the next one. . .

paul at fossil fool dot com.

Yours,

Paul