Who here uses Live solely for sequencing/recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cartel00

Who here uses Live solely for sequencing/recording

Post by cartel00 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:49 am

Hi all. I want to know who here uses Live by itself as the only recording/sequencing tool. This excludes plugins. I want to know because there is just so much software out there... and it is a lot of money that I am going to be spending. I am looking to make music not really live performances or DJ sets. So I am thinking either Live or Sonar (from Cakewalk). Do not know which one to get. I just want to know which you guys would get and why. I have tried demos now, and they are both are good. So again tell me which one you would get for a DAW or sequencer from the two. Sonar 5 or Live 5

blamethesun

Post by blamethesun » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:43 am

I think the answers might be a bit biased?

Live 5

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:57 am

I'm using Live as my only application for producing and sequencing. In the past, I've had experience with Sonar, Cubase, Cakewalk, and going back farther than that, it's been hardware sequencers and drum machines.

For me, it came down to workflow and getting shit done. When I wasn't "legit' I used to pack my install with every tool I could possibly get my hands on. Then I realized that I just had too many options, too many choices. The term bloatware took on new meaning: no longer being able to make music. Then came Live, the solution to so many things, the most important of which is to just be able to make music and have fun doing it.

If you want every feature in the world and a system that will be very powreful, Sonar may be the answer for you. But it won't give you the spontaneity and real instrument feeling of Live. Eventually, all those features might even get in the way of your making music.

Furthermore, there isn't a single tool out there that breaks the linear nature of sequencing like Live does. To be able to launch all sorts of clips in the session view and to be able to generate ideas in a matrix fashion is just too different for any other host to compare to Live. It makes the process fun and it gives you all sorts of ideas.

So yes, the answers might be biased, but look for the real depth inside the gushing fanboy stuff. The truth is that Live is all about elegant efficient design that allows your creativity to just flow. It doesn't get in the way of making music. If you're a newbie, it actually helps you do things you couldn't do on your own. And for sequencing your music, it'll take you in directions that no linear sequencer could.

And we're not even talking about being able to perform on stage and having faith in your host to get you through the set...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:59 am

Regarding cost, other than FL Studio (a great compliment to Live) for most applications, you get what you pay for. FL is the only exception becuase you get so fucking much for $99. If you're a student, Ableton is very liberal with its policies, so you can get Live for as cheap as $200. And for what you get, it's not even a question as to value for money spent.

DJSK

Post by DJSK » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:49 am

Ableton is the first sequencing program that I ever tried using. Unless you consider Acid a sequencer. Afterwards I tried using other programs like Logic, Reason, Cakewalk, & Protools and was totally unmotivated in trying to learn the software. I consider myself very lucky to have started with live first. I feel that if I was to have chosen another program first I would have gotten discouraged and might not have made the jump from DJing to producing music.

kettensaege

Post by kettensaege » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:10 am

hey cartel,
you won't get around extensively testing all the candidates and making that decision by yourself, sorry :)
Think about what you want achieve, analyse your workflow and your requirements. Don't be afraid of limiting yourself in the right places, it can be a good thing.
good luck!

p.s. for me it's Live and Reason (rewired, purely as a sound module)

sweetjesus

Re: Who here uses Live solely for sequencing/recording

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:22 am

cartel00 wrote:Hi all. I want to know who here uses Live by itself as the only recording/sequencing tool. This excludes plugins. I want to know because there is just so much software out there... and it is a lot of money that I am going to be spending. I am looking to make music not really live performances or DJ sets. So I am thinking either Live or Sonar (from Cakewalk). Do not know which one to get. I just want to know which you guys would get and why. I have tried demos now, and they are both are good. So again tell me which one you would get for a DAW or sequencer from the two. Sonar 5 or Live 5
I use Live and Pro Tools LE. I try to write complete tracks in Live, but as my tracks get complex, Live becomes a pain to use, not in terms of workflow, but several documented issues such as the arrangement screen slowing down when you have too many edits and whatnot.

As for sequencing and writing, I consider Live to be excellent as it allows you to come up with so many musical ideas it's not funny!

I would not choose Sonar as a competitor to Live. If you were going to weigh Live upto any other programs, it would likely be Cubase SX, Pro Tools LE (although Live doesnt have the precision of editing and also the precision of mixing as compared to Pro Tools).

What style of music shall you be producing? Will you be using hardware or just software sound sources?

Live is great and I'm sure you will like it. It's probably a great first step.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:50 am

nebulae wrote:If you want every feature in the world and a system that will be very powreful, Sonar may be the answer for you. But it won't give you the spontaneity and real instrument feeling of Live. Eventually, all those features might even get in the way of your making music...
I've settled on Live and Sonar (Producer) as my main sequencers. But to be honest, I find Sonar so bloated that it's rather cumbersome to use and not very inspirational. By contrast, Live is the most intuitive piece of software that I have ever used- and I'm not just talking music software either. I've only had to open the box just to get a sticker to paste it on my lappy. :lol:
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

enzymex

Post by enzymex » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:01 am

I have Sonar 4, Live 5 and Project 5. I would like to use Live 5 only - it's the best thought out and most inspirational program of the bunch.

But, real world problems keep me using more than one host. Project 5 works with Sampletank reliably, Live doesn't. Sonar has great metering for mixdown, and broad control surface support. Live Doesn't.

So for now I rewire, and rewire some more. Maybe Live 6 will be that "all in one tool" I also hope for.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:04 am

Live is the tits!

I don't own any other music making lalalala.
And I'm very satisfied. No need for other stuff. I used to use reason. And then I paid for Live. Go figure...

cartel00

Post by cartel00 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:37 am

is Live's vocal recording sound as good as the other sequencers such as Soanr, Logic. Like if I was to get someone to sing, is it possible with Live and if it is... is it as good as any other software? The reason I ask because everyone keeps saying how Live is such a loop based software... but never hear about its power and mixing capabilities. Thanks.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:16 pm

cartel00 wrote:is Live's vocal recording sound as good as the other sequencers such as Soanr, Logic. Like if I was to get someone to sing, is it possible with Live and if it is... is it as good as any other software? The reason I ask because everyone keeps saying how Live is such a loop based software... but never hear about its power and mixing capabilities. Thanks.
I am a total fan of Live (like all of us on here) and I use it as my only seq/multitrack app now. AFAIK, the recording quality is as good as any of those other applications. These days, am not sure if there´s much difference or unfortunately because of mp3 become the norm if it even matters anymore. .javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused

However, regarding yr comment about mixing capabilities: I personally would use something else, for example, to record a band and then do loads of overdubs and mixing - I used to use Cubase SX - because other apps are more traditional in their approach IMHO.

I am used to the arrangement page in Live now for "mixing" my solo stuff,
and it is great because even there in the more "linear" aspect, Live still keeps the creative doors open. But if I was working with a series of clients in a studio I´d be more inclined to use something more traditional, particularly for the editing and metering tools.

Use Live for the creatiive shit and then Rewire somthing else would be my answer.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:12 pm

I have both...

I load up Live almost exclusively. I sort of keep Sonar around because it does do some things a bit more gracefully. Unfortunately I don't use Sonar enough to consider myself anything more than an amateur with it at best...