Sonalksis or Wavearts compressors & EQ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
djconrad

Sonalksis or Wavearts compressors & EQ?

Post by djconrad » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:53 pm

Hi
I've demo'd the Sonalksis SV-315 and the Wavearts Trackplug 5 compressors and to be honest can't detect much difference between them, both sound great to my ears.
Has anyone got any suggestions?
I was thinking of getting the Sonalksis SV-517 EQ along with the compressor but would I be right in saying that the Trackplug would offer both of these functions (compressor and EQ) as good as the 2 Sonalkis plugins together? The lesser cost if it did would be a bonus.
Thanks in advance
Conrad

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:53 pm

to my ears, sonalksis sounds much smoother and less digital.

if you are familiar with older analog eqs and compressors, the differences are a little more noticable.

good luck!

hat

Post by hat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:49 am

Sonalksis is as good as it gets in terms of software eq and compressors.
Add the CQ1 and DQ1 for your final mixes and you won't believe how good things could sound.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:41 am

Another Sonalksis vote here. I think the WA stuff is good, but I was floored by the sound of the Sonalksis compressor, and the eq is just as tasty.
Image Image

sounddesigner

Post by sounddesigner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:52 am

Check out Marquis compressor by Voxengo and curve Eq or harmoni eq before you make your decision. These are cheaper and considered by many to be the Best.www.voxengo.com

marky

Post by marky » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 am

Anyone here compared the Sonalksys with the URS compressors yet ?

djconrad

Post by djconrad » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:10 am

thanks guys
I've heard about the voxengo stuff but I'm on a mac.
I'm mainly doing nu jazz, broken beat and hip hop. I was attracted to the wavearts because of the value and functions compared to the more expensive sonalksis.
What I'm kinda hoping for is someone telling me that the quaility doesn't justify the bigger cost of the sonalksis compressor and eq combo compared to 1 trackplug
hope this makes sense
cheers
Conrad

supster

Post by supster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:06 am

djconrad wrote:thanks guys
I've heard about the voxengo stuff but I'm on a mac.
I'm mainly doing nu jazz, broken beat and hip hop. I was attracted to the wavearts because of the value and functions compared to the more expensive sonalksis.
What I'm kinda hoping for is someone telling me that the quaility doesn't justify the bigger cost of the sonalksis compressor and eq combo compared to 1 trackplug
hope this makes sense
cheers
Conrad

ive been using wavearts trackplug (4) for a long time now for basic EQ and compression, and for most routine stuff it sounds better than fine to my ears.

no difference i think that you would ever notice for most routine stuff - getting drums to pop, mix elements in general. i hear vs 5 is even better.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:23 am

I really like the new Wavearts Trackplug5.

I tried the Sonalkiss stuff but I think I was the only one un-impressed... Ill try the demo again tonight though... maybe I missed something.
- Oliver Chesler

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:30 am

Here's what sold me on the trackplug.

Almost NO cpu.........I mean truly nothing! I run at 24/96 for everything.

It has a truly wonderful limiter. It will allow you to maxout without color or distortion.......well to a limit:P

The eq is great, and it can be post or pre. Yes, the ableton eq four is good.......but in combo...it's really hard to beat. Oh...did I mention the almost NULL cpu?

Oh yeah.......it has two compressors too! Actually, I don't use them too much because the Q/limit seem to do the trick most of the time. I think the sonalkisis (spelling?) is a better "compressor" tits for tats. It costs more though.....something to consider.

sounddesigner

Post by sounddesigner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:51 pm

I own almost all of wavearts stuff. They are very good, but the compressor to trackplug is just that, very good and not great.But as someone emphasized the trackplug uses almost no cpu,and it has ALOT of features that makes it versatile and Great as a whole.Two compressors with different modes and sidechaining eq.A nice eq with different modes, a noise gate, a limiter.Trackplug will get the job done.I have not used sonalksis but have heard alot of great things about them.I probably would buy UAD card if i where going to spend alot of money rather than sonalksis (if your going to spend big you might aswell spend bigger and get the whole shabang).Wavearts also have been having some wonderful bundle deals lately, i bought powercouple for $249.To me wavearts best compressor is multidynamics, wich i bought because i liked not necessarily because i chose to settle for less.
But in your case the best solution is to demo both and buy the one that sounds the best to you, if quality is what you need.Don't settle for less, your music will thank you for it later!It's better to take a longtime and slowly get the gear you want than to rush out and buy that wich is'nt that great to you, when you launch your arsenal it should bring a smile to your face!

djconrad

Post by djconrad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:07 am

anyone any thoughts on these URS 1970 and 1980?

http://www.ursplugins.com/

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:03 am

djconrad wrote:anyone any thoughts on these URS 1970 and 1980?

http://www.ursplugins.com/
Yup, been demoing them for the last few days. Sound: Excellent! CPU: Low! Cost: Not So Low! iLok: Nuff Said!

However, URS has a cool rent to own program, no interest, no financing charges.
Image Image

marky

Post by marky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:18 am

How do you think the URS comps compare with Sonalksys polyslax?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:27 pm

I don't really care for the URS stuff personally, though they seem to get a lot of praise on the net. My vote would be Sonalkis, more bang for your buck, no iLok.