New Yorkers????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:45 pm

sorry for contributing to the thread hi-jack. Anyways, this is not an actual physical store but is based in NYC. www.musictoys.com

I've spent plenty oh money there. The store was called gas pedal then. Gas as in Gear Acqusation Syndrome!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:18 am

lerky wrote:Well I've always wanted to go there since I was about 12 yrs.
I'm hope it's not as wack from a tourists point of view as it you all seem to say it is from a residents. And as for being expensive, try living in London.....
Funny, I would have traded you!

ekitel

Post by ekitel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:38 am

err_fatale wrote:it basically boils down to the insane increase in RENT in the East Village and Williamsburg the past couple years. Those are the only areas of the city I would ever care to live in....the west village/greenwich and soho are nice to but way more expensive. It's just become even shittier to try to make it there if you aren't loaded.
yo! move to Bushwick...

err_fatale

Post by err_fatale » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:43 am

naw, it's too oppressive out there. i couldn't live out in the boroughs at all. Not for me. I've spent time in Bushwick and I just didn't like it. My friends lived there. So many heads I knew ditched the East Village/Williamsburg scene to go to Brooklyn, Bronx, S.I. Jersey, Queens...i just couldn't spend my life in the Boroughs. Nothing bad about them, I just feel that they aren't a place for people who didn't grow up there. Manhattan is enough of a struggle. I just don't feel the boroughs are the best place for "outsiders"....a lot of my friends got jacked too, BTW, when they moved out into the cuts....I would never want to move my girl into some sketchy place, and you know it can get sketchy. You're lying if you say otherwise...

it's fine if you know people and they know you and you're from around the way, but....

beatsfreak

Post by beatsfreak » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:44 am

err_fatale wrote:naw, it's too oppressive out there. i couldn't live out in the boroughs at all. Not for me. I've spent time in Bushwick and I just didn't like it. My friends lived there. So many heads I knew ditched the East Village/Williamsburg scene to go to Brooklyn, Bronx, S.I. Jersey, Queens...i just couldn't spend my life in the Boroughs. Nothing bad about them, I just feel that they aren't a place for people who didn't grow up there. Manhattan is enough of a struggle. I just don't feel the boroughs are the best place for "outsiders"....a lot of my friends got jacked too, BTW, when they moved out into the cuts....I would never want to move my girl into some sketchy place, and you know it can get sketchy. You're lying if you say otherwise...

it's fine if you know people and they know you and you're from around the way, but....
DUDE. Brooklyn is awesome now. Park Slope South. Cheap rent, lots of college students, not from around the way. Moved here 10 years ago from San Fran. and watched this neighborhood transform. All the DJs live around here, little clubs, cool bars, cheap beers, trees, rooftop access, big apt, views of Manhattan. Met my husband in the hood.
Feel safer here than in Manhattan or even San Fran.

Anyway, they just built a brand new beautiful Guitar Center here in Brooklyn.
Staff is very friendly and helpful, will order anything. Recording section is way better than Sam Ash. Also, nearby is a store called Pro Line that has a basement full of gear, oh yeah, and the Pawn Shop a couple doors down is pretty interesting.

err_fatale

Post by err_fatale » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:48 am

aaaahhhhhh i hate college students. and having a guitar center does not make me want to live there. all that stuff is external to me. I'm talking about the vibe. The energy of old-skool NYC. The beautiful dark energy of the place i once loved. It has nothing to do with rich college students and music stores. I am talking about the old clubs and the club scene and the artists/freaks and the great electronic music that was so abundant in that city. hard techno baby. every night. live and breathe techno. the old dance floors of many a club long gone or given a horrible make-over or just simply whitewashed......if you were there you know what i mean, if you weren't then i can't describe it. the city was just so much more electric, so much more creatively inspiring to me, now i feel like i am in a big outdoor shopping mall. The last few years i was living in the east village, as i watched NYU buy out the whole area and help accelerate the already rapid process of gentrification, i felt as if i was just busting my ass to live in the world's biggest mall, and compete against a bunch of over-privelidged rich brats that were stealing the city from the creative minds that used to call it home but who were leaving in droves as they had no degrees or experience and crappy jobs and just wanted to be artists or musicians and live a bohemian lifestyle not work 60 hour weeks.......

it is the VIBE, the energy......it's just not the same. I can't put it into words. There is no way to describe the feeling. a little of that energy is still there, but, believe me, compared to the old days, very little and it is WATERED DOWN and REPACKAGED to appeal to the trust fund kids........