Event PS6 or Alesis M1 mkII active???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bangpow

Event PS6 or Alesis M1 mkII active???

Post by bangpow » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:50 pm

I am in the market for some studio monitors.

I had a roomate who had the Event PS6 and i have grown quite used to them, but i can get the Alesis M1's for a good price through my work.

so, the question is should i save the extra money and wait to buy the Event's or do you think the Alesis' are good too and i should save the money and get those???

Please be brutally honest, i dig that ;)

thanks.

muser

Re: Event PS6 or Alesis M1 mkII active???

Post by muser » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:08 pm

The Alesis have a got a good rep and has gotten lots of good reviews, but I didn't like them because it sounded a little lifeless to me (I was considering buying a pair).

Of course, the main purpose (some would say the only purpose, but I'd disagree) of near-field flat-freq response monitors is to reflect mixes with as little coloration as possible, but I think you've got to like the sound enough to listen to it day in and day out.

Moreover, if you know your monitors well enough, you can compensate for their coloration and idiosyncrasies. I used to own a pair of PS6s and I really liked them. They were much more interesting to listen to than the Alesis, but didn't sound hyped, which would have compromised accuracy.

Price always matters though so if the savings are deep enough for the Alesis... Just bear in mind you'll have to learn the sound of the monitors from scratch, which will take up a bit of productivity. Good luck and I hope this helps.

bangpow

Post by bangpow » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:23 pm

yes, that is very helpful.

Well, i would say that there would be a difference of about $200 between the two sets.

now, do you think that the PS6's are $200 better???

I don't really think it would take me long to get used to how the speakers sound, anything is better than the stereo speakers that are hooked up for the time being.

plus, i work in a store that sells PA gear and what not, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I just don't want to make the mistake of finding out the Alesis' are crap and they are like the K-mart equivalent of Studio Monitors, if you know what i mean.

hat

Post by hat » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:51 pm

monitors are quite a personal thing. In the end, only you can decide which will be more suitable to your room's acoustic and the type of music you record. I used to own Event 20/20's, then Mackie HR 824's. I found both to be horrible sounding within my surroundings. The Mackies sounded good for playback but had an exagerated bass response, which would have seemed lesser of an issue in a properly treated room, where the speakers aren't up against any walls or too close to corners.

I now monitor on Alesis M1mk2 Actives and absolutely love them. They may seem 'lifeless' compared to the Mackies, perhaps even the PS6, but to me, they sound the way a monitor should sound, as they seem pretty flat all across the board, tight bass without the boomyness, and a decent high end without too much sizzle. If anthing, they have a little dip in the 2k area, which I have learned to compensate for.

As for mix translation, they are dead on, only because I took the time to learn them, which you have to do no matter what speaker you get. I'm not saying get the M1's over the PS6, I'm just saying that the Alesis work really well for me, in my room, to my ears. You can flooded with opinions on Events, Mackies, Alesis, KRK, Genelec, Tannoy, etc., but they are too be taken as guidelines, since all these will sound different in different rooms, to different ears.

For $400 a pair, I'm happy as a clam with the Alesis, which by the way, are quite different than the older M1's. And anyone who thinks of them as K-Mart type of monitors should consider a new hobby/career.

Good luck in your search...

muser

Post by muser » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:15 pm

hat wrote:I used to own Event 20/20's, then Mackie HR 824's
Whoa hat, you chose the Alesis over some pretty high-end competition! You're absolutely right, monitors are a pretty personal thing. I think you can learn to mix with most monitors once you learn them.

bangpow, I wouldn't say the PS6s are $200 better.

hat

Post by hat » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:29 pm

muser wrote:
hat wrote:I used to own Event 20/20's, then Mackie HR 824's
Whoa hat, you chose the Alesis over some pretty high-end competition!

:lol:

I know, when I was merely considering selling the Macks for the M1's, I received a fair share of criticism, some ridicule, some encouraging. Indeed, the room is the most important element in the studio, followed by the monitors. I also learned that a great sounding monitor does not necessarily make it a great mixing monitor.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:16 am

If your budget stretches it , have a "peak" @ the Far Peak 6 - lhttp://www.far-audio.com/peak.html - esser known , but from what I've heard of several people [pro-people] upthere in the league of the Mackie hr824 or Dynaudio bm6 - but at a price of around 770 Euro "only"
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

migaler

Post by migaler » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:55 am

I am considering to buy a second monitor too! I just satisfed with the PS6 and truth 2031(made by beringer)either . Both of them a best sound and the 2031's amplifier can support more power and It's sub-speaker is 8.5ch measure so I think it's bass effect will better than the ps6,but the ps6's productor event is proffesional than the beringer at the region of monitor I porpose! so I'm not sure the ps6's sound feeling is better than the truth 2031? please give me more advise and tell me which one I should choice now ! Thanks for all!!!!!!!! 8O