OSX 10.4.4 + Live 5 (.0.3)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:53 pm

smutek wrote:So, this is going a little OT, but how long does everyone suppose its going to be before we get dropped, like OS9? Dropped as in, we no longer support OSX, no more upgrades, etc.. My estimate is about one year, maybe two.
Nah, it'll be way longer. Apple is still supporting some g3 models, for chrissakes. There's no reason to think that they'll make the powerpc obsolete anytime soon.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:12 pm

smutek wrote:So, this is going a little OT, but how long does everyone suppose its going to be before we get dropped, like OS9? Dropped as in, we no longer support OSX, no more upgrades, etc.. My estimate is about one year, maybe two.

reminds me of protools and my digi 001

i think you're right no more updates..but i imagine they will get us 10.4 sorted before they drop the powermac support

i havn't bit the 10.4.4 bullet yet as i'm scared m-audio or digi drivers could get screewee from the update.
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

gomi

Post by gomi » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:22 am

mike holiday wrote: i think you're right no more updates..but i imagine they will get us 10.4 sorted before they drop the powermac support

i havn't bit the 10.4.4 bullet yet as i'm scared m-audio or digi drivers could get screewee from the update.
I'll bet they'll continue updating 10.4 all the way up to 10.4.9

10.5 (leopard) will be x86 only.

this is my guess.

sqook

Post by sqook » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:10 am

gomi wrote:
mike holiday wrote: i think you're right no more updates..but i imagine they will get us 10.4 sorted before they drop the powermac support

I'll bet they'll continue updating 10.4 all the way up to 10.4.9

10.5 (leopard) will be x86 only.

this is my guess.
Your guess is wrong, fortunately.
Leopard will support Macs with both PowerPC or Intel processors, although by release, Apple may only be selling Intel-based Macintosh computers.
I found this on wikipedia after doing a google search for "leopard powerpc".

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:13 pm

interesting read.

packrat

Post by packrat » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:38 pm

forgie wrote:Yeah, it's something that will (hopefully) be fully built in to OSX. There's no reason why the OSX filesystem interface can't keep track of all the system files that need special permissions and correct any screwed up permissions when you shut down your computer. It'd be a fair bit of code, but once the framework is in place it would be yet another relic of OSX history.
There are lots of reasons why. You don't put userspace crack like checking file permissions anywhere near the OS's filesystem interface, you make a script that runs on startup.

I suspect the reason that Apple haven't already done something like that is because it would hurt developers who need to be able to futz with module permissions etc, and it would hide the symptoms of any bigger problems.

B>

koranek

Post by koranek » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:41 pm

I noticed a couple of things. I created a new partition and clean installed to 10.4.4. Then I used migration manager to copy all my old stuff which can really bloat up a clean system. I'm at Live 5.0.3

After installing the new M-Audio drivers for my Delta 66, my latency went way down. Using the tone test in the preferences, I can get 40 samples at 80% loading. I used to get 200 at best. Running at 128 seems very smooth while I used to keep it at 512. Thats quit an improvment.

On the other hand, my CPU went up from 33% to 37% when running the Live 5 performance test. My disk performance seems to have gone down and I'm not sure why.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm

I had problems with the 10.4.3 update so I was relutant as well. Only with great trepidation did I upgrade to 10.4.4 Sunday night.

Everything is running smooth.

Maybe I am a little, how you say, paranoid, but this is what I do.

1. Boot from OSX install disk and run disk repair to make sure there are no problems
2. Download the 10.4.4 updater direct from apples site, not using software update
3. Install 10.4.4
4. Reboot from OSX disk and repair permissions
5. Install the rest of the updates using software update
6. Reboot from OSX disk and repair permissions

And I've been running smooth, so smooth I forgot I even updated to be honest.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks- I appreciate your list. I usually just run disk utility.

Also, I am positive that OSX will be supported for a lengthy period of time. IMO, their long-term goal of pied pipering people into their "lifestye choice" has begun with massive ipod sale, itunes on PC, and will now slowly unfold itself with the macintels. However they decide to play their cards, it is in their best interest now, and perhaps for their first time (again, IMO) to finally cease stabbing their customers in the back, and pretend even harder that they an conortium of "unique and special snowflakes" because they bought in. Maintaining good repoirre with their potential longterm users is where the volume will be. OSX will be around. It will be even less cool to chriticize them. I have DK's "California Uberalis" in my head right now!

"it's the suede denim secret police! They have come for your un-cool niiece!"

drmotte

Post by drmotte » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:16 pm

when will you start to set up your personal short cut / hot key for the data browser?

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:39 pm

drmotte wrote:when will you start to set up your personal short cut / hot key for the data browser?
i have hotkeys for my browser

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 313#204313
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"