Direct Wave VSTi... it looks quite interesting

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Mag_Music

Post by Mag_Music » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:16 pm

dn83 wrote:As I've stated on other posts, I would get Sampler if it came with an instrument library.
Yeah, I think Sampler is probably overpriced to be new, have no content and to only be usable in Live,
so I just got the Kontakt 2 crossgrade; for $50 more than Sampler you get the reigning king-of-the-hill,
a 15 gb library which has gotten very positive feedback, and you can use the program wherever you like.
I don't see Sampler as being very competitive, in this respect.

Still, though, there isn't a single other sampler that I've seen that can do the kind of manipulation that
Ableton's can, as quickly and as easily as it can, from what I saw in the two Henke vids they posted on
YouTube. I can't even begin to figure out how to do some of the stuff Henke was doing in other samplers
(I'm no sampling expert, though). If Ableton ever rethinks the pricing on Sampler, I'll probably still get it. I
just don't believe add-ons--programs that can only be used in a specific host program--should cost so much.
What it is (for Now): (2) Lenovo Dual Core desktops, Edirol PCR-800, Sonar 8.5 PE, Live 8 w/Operator and Sampler, the unloved PT 8, Kontakt 4, Battery 3, GPO 4, mulititudinous plugs and libraries, much unused hardware. And... silence; much silence.

dn83

Post by dn83 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:26 pm

Hey - thanks, great article! Yeah, I've tried out HighLife once before (for a few minutes), seems great and awesome that it's free!

But still, where do you get an intrument library to use with it?? =( Sorry, but soundfonts usually sound cheesy and unrealistic.

dn83

Post by dn83 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:38 pm

Yes, I totally agree with you. Sampler is a bit pricey to not come with an instrument library and to be only usable within Live (which I hadn't yet considered). I really only use Live though, but I see what you mean.

What appeals to me about Sampler is its stability in Live and also as you mention, all the manipulation possibilities.

They need to reduce the price and/or include some kind of instrument library. I mean, pay another $100+ for the EIC? Hm, don't think so. I'm sure the instruments sound amazing, but I've read the listing of what instruments are included and again, the collection just seems lacking in the scope of instruments included. Sorry to be critical.

dn83

Post by dn83 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:59 pm

Looks like for now, I'm going to get DirectWave. I was told by image-line that once I register, I'll have free access to download from their online instrument library. Plus, I've tested out the demo, using multiple instances in a typical setup and the performance was great...*Knocks on wood*

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention that you do get a lot of instruments for free (although for complete sets, you have to buy them, but again, at $25 a CD, it's a great deal). Also, with Imageline, all updates and upgrades are free for LIFE.
Image Image Image Image

dn83

Post by dn83 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:07 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up! Wish more companies were that way!

dn83

Post by dn83 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:37 am

Wait...DirectWave doesn't come with a Piano sample?? =(

creepjoint

Post by creepjoint » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:22 pm

dn83 wrote:Wait...DirectWave doesn't come with a Piano sample?? =(
yes it does, you just have to use the built in downloader

dn83

Post by dn83 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. Hm...I was under the impression that the only instruments that registered users can download are the ones with the orange zip icon next to them. And online, the Piano doesn't have the icon:

http://lister.e-officedirect.com/lister ... me=58.html

:?