strange story about autechre - untilted

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:24 pm

I didn't think much of the Untilted disc, but when Ae played some tracks live, either the transition to the live environment helped or the tracks just lose character from being compressed onto a CD. Their live performances after Untilted were amazing.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:53 pm

noisetonepause wrote:Listen to Plaid instead...
why would i trade no melody for supermarket melodies? :wink:

and on the topic of the live show after untilted, yeah, i saw it at webster hall in nyc and the sound quality was unbelievable. the sound system there isn't that great and they made it sound amazing.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Captain Screwbarb

Draft 7.30

Post by Captain Screwbarb » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Wow, whoever had said Autechre lost the melodies after Confield is teh crazy. Draft 7.30 has some truly amazing melodies on board...maybe Untilted is a little too drum driven, but even it has some sweet melodies.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:13 pm

ok, but remember how great the simple one fingererd melodies on tri-repete and chiastic slide were? that's a big part of what made those records so great.

.lm.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:20 pm

I never liked the early stuff. I dig EP7 and Confield - my faves. Draft 7.30 and Untilted are definitely harder to listen to - esp Draft 7.30, which gave me a bit of a headache the first time I heard it all the way through.

But noone is going to convince me that it isn't musical or melodic. Besides, the beauty of their sound has always been teh Ridmik content to me.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Brittney Sparse

Post by Brittney Sparse » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:49 pm

Untilted is astounding.

You really have to listen to it alot. BAsically go out and take a walk or drive while listening to it in its entirety.

I, too, lost interest in them during Confield (aka "The Autechre Parody Album") and Draft 7.30 (aka "Oh, no! We were just kidding with Confield! Here's some melodies!"). Though I like some tracks from those albums. I didn't even "get" LP5 until recently. Maybe it it'll take me some time to do the same with Confield and Draft 7.30. But they didn't mke it onto my iPod with the other stuff.:)

Untilted really has some amazing stuff on it. You just have to let go of the Amber era Ae and let yourself hear it as something new by a newer artist. It really is incredible.

Of coure, this whole thread is about as productive as a Mac vs. PC one or Old Battlestar Galactica vs. the new one.
----
\CATHODE RAY TUBE | HARD ELECTRONICA 4 HARD TIMES
\\CONDITION HUMAN| SYNTHETIC MUSIC FOR YOUR ORGANIC PLEASURES
\\\http://www.crtdot.com/
\\More CRT music on Component Recordings!
-----

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:46 am

leisuremuffin wrote:
Plaid have a naivity and honesty that Autechre won't ever find cos they seem to insist on lkeeping their heads where everything's dark and smelly ;)
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Brittney Sparse

Post by Brittney Sparse » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:03 am

noisetonepause wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:
Plaid have a naivity and honesty that Autechre won't ever find cos they seem to insist on lkeeping their heads where everything's dark and smelly ;)
Ae have always been pretty clear about keeping things abstract. Thus, they always sound way out. Sometimes abstract is a little too abstract, though.

Dark and smelly indeed.
----
\CATHODE RAY TUBE | HARD ELECTRONICA 4 HARD TIMES
\\CONDITION HUMAN| SYNTHETIC MUSIC FOR YOUR ORGANIC PLEASURES
\\\http://www.crtdot.com/
\\More CRT music on Component Recordings!
-----

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:09 am

noisetonepause wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:
haha, yeah. I can actually really enjoy listening to plaid sometimes. As an aside, it's interesting that part of their backround was really cold electronic stuff too, remember black dog?

.lm.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:47 am

black dog is/are/were great....avante garde electronica ....have you heard black dog/black safichi ?

plaid double figure , is fucking SWWWWwwweeet, its definatly one id take to a desert island (with some others) ...not much into anything previous or afterwards. Seen plaid live, and it could have been better. they messed up some tracks (from double figure) and left out the bassline. You could hear it kind of jerkily start, then it just disappeared out of sync and never resurfaced. I was gutted!

www.slsknet.org , get yourself soulseek and do a search on autechre, be polite and talk to some geezers and I;m sure you;ll find the edition you are after

chis

Post by chis » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:24 am

leisuremuffin wrote: why would i trade no melody for supermarket melodies? :wink:
Hah! Now this is true. What happened to them on Spokes? Zeal is alright - great video - but what happened to those melodies? They seem to have stuck themselves to using certain keys and modes that come across as "odd for odd's sake", not at all memorable and more than a little annoying. A shame really, cause on the rare occasions they composed some good melodies (Undoneson, Booc), Plaid could be wonderful. Yes, wonderful. Go and listen to the two EPs I just named!

chis

Re: Draft 7.30

Post by chis » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:28 am

Captain Screwbarb wrote:Wow, whoever had said Autechre lost the melodies after Confield is teh crazy. Draft 7.30 has some truly amazing melodies on board...maybe Untilted is a little too drum driven, but even it has some sweet melodies.
Well I couldn't find them. All the machinedrum (I stand corrected, nice hardware choice) drum wank is too overpowering and ANNOYING for any melodies to stand out. Which none ever did. Draft and Untilted are a drum-lover's paradise. The rest of us will never find anything of worth on those albums, period.

(Okay so I am a little bitter about this. I just find their meteoric disintegration of quality post-EP7 more than a little depressing.)

drush

Post by drush » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:54 pm

maybe you're just hearing the special edition Thief version.

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:27 am

bump bump. still cant find that version