assigning key commands

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
hat

assigning key commands

Post by hat » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:36 pm

Sifting through the manual, I can't seem to find a way to assign a key command in Live. I always work in the Arranger view, never in Session, and I'd like to assign, say, the 3 on the numerical pad to start recording.
If I clcik on the "key" button top right, everything turns red and I feel I'm halfway there, but then I get stuck, not knowing what to do. Thanks for any help.

cderum

Post by cderum » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:00 pm

After clicking the key-mapping button making everything turn red, go to the record button and click on it with your mouse. Then you can assign the key for that function by clicking on a key on the keyboard you want. However, the reason you might be having trouble is that I don't think Live recognizes keys on the numeric keypad. I have only been able to map assignments using some letter from A-Z. (Someone else might offer some explanation for this?) Once you have clicked on the letter, that letter will appear next to the record button and you can see it has been mapped. Then click on the key-mapping assignment button again to exit map mode. Your assigned key will now control the record button.

hat

Post by hat » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:26 pm

Many thanks for the quick reply, that seemed to be the only omission, no numeric keys! Thanks again, cderum!
:D

Andrew K

Post by Andrew K » Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:45 pm

Also, Quick Keys is an awesome application that let's you put key commands to almost anything.

My 2 cent's worth

Andrew K