Is it wrong to use the arrangement view like this??

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mannikin

Is it wrong to use the arrangement view like this??

Post by mannikin » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:32 am

Hi,

We're finally attempting to use Live when we play live (an appropriate use for this wonderful tool). In the past, we would just have our backing tracks on an iPod, but after spending some time learning how to use Live, I realized it may be even cooler playing our backing tracks through Live, and manipulate them during out sets. So, my first instinct was to output our tracks individually out of pro tools, and drop them straight into the arragement window, completely skipping the session window. so, I really don't have any "clips" in my tracks, just the actual audio tracks on the arrangement view. I know you usually record performances into the arrangement. Is this going to be a problem? This way, I could have individual loops in the session window, and trigger them while the original arrangement is playing. Please feel free to let me know if I'm just completely off the mark here! :)

J.

alan*

Post by alan* » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:45 am

I find that when performing with live I do everything in the session view, sometimes I record my set and then go into arrangement view after to see/hear what I did.

You can load your full length backing track into the session view also and play it alongside your loops if you want and then you dont need to flick back and forth between views.

I guess there are a lot of different ways to do it and theres no particular right or wrong way, just whatever works best for you I guess ?

Hope this helps.
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:47 am

even though it's in the arrangement view, i think you should still consider it to be a clip

and just remember that if you fire a clip in a session track, that you will no longer hear what's on that arrangement track until you press the back to arrangement button. so if you just want to play sounds on top of the existing arrangement, put the session clips in their own tracks