Multitracking in Live rules

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
quandry

Multitracking in Live rules

Post by quandry » Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:30 pm

I've been multitracking band practices (6-8 channels with RME multiface) into Live, and I've also tried into SOnar 2.0 XL. Live is sooo solid, I recorded 7 tracks with the lowest possible latency (the RME says 1.5 ms, Live says 1 ms in, 2 ms out) with no problems at all. With the same latency setting just recording one track while playing back others caused skips in Sonar, and just playing back in Fruity Loops caused skips. If I set the lactency to 3 ms on the RME everything works fine. I just wanted to note that Live seems to be faster and more adept at Live multitrack recording than SOnar, and probably many more typical "multitrack" recording software. This difference between live and others at low latencies becomes even more apparent when trying to do things in the program (add effects, zoom in on waveforms, tweak sliders, knobs...), with Live, never a problem, with FL and XL at lowest lantecy, skips and pops. I can even have other programs in the background with Live going and no problem, once again not so with FL and SOnar. Somehow Live's software is just that dope, i knew it rocked at its own thing, but it also appears to be smoking "studio" software at its own game.

Live rocks, and is a formidable multitrack recording software all by itself.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:43 pm

amen brother! preach it!

i wholeheartedly agree. nothing out there is as easy to use as live for multitracking. especially when you're recording multiple takes. once you go live, just forget all that other jive.

k