Ok... now I'm getting mad.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
funkdefino

Ok... now I'm getting mad.

Post by funkdefino » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:30 am

This is absurd!!! NAMM is upon us and we are all passed by again with no dedicated Ableton controller.

It really blows my mind that there is a GarageBand controller and no Ableton controller. The whole idea behind Live is being ...well ...live and not having a dedicated controller is really starting to piss me off.

Where's my torch and pitch fork!!!

ARGH! :evil:
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:36 am

I agree, it would be nice to have a dedicated controller!!! It is mind boggling this hasn't happend already. If they ever do it I hope they do it right. Basically I want something that is everything you see on the screen on my studio desk:)

forgie

Post by forgie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:40 am

Hmmm, I'm an Electrical Engineer (well not officially, I'm still studying, but I'm working as one) and I've been thinking about this for a while now....

What would you guys want in an Ableton controller? What controls, and what layout? Making a 1st gen Midi controller with a pure Midi output really isn't that hard from an EE perspective. Adding USB makes things a little more complicated, however.....

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:08 am

What would I want in a midi controller?

I would want it to look a bit like an analog mixer with clip launch button for each channel.

Sasha's Maven controller is the best thing I've seen yet.

How about this...

Each Channel Strip should have:

4 -Knobs (with center detent)
1 - 100mm fader
1 - Button on top of the fader for cueing tracks
9 - Buttons that run along side the fader for clip launch.

For the master section.

4 - Knobs (with center detent)
1 - 60mm fader (with center detent) for pitch control
1 - 100mm fader for master volume

All of these should be analog controls. No rotary encoders. :D
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:02 am

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 492#220492

there is also the Lemur. There is also the new Novation Remote series... Faderfox. There are tons of options.

You should save your anger.

rob.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:25 am

I've been thinking of one based around the clip window, certain sets of DJ controls, and track stop-start-select buttons for every channel. The idea would be that it could add on to any other controller the functions that no one understands about Live. I could throw up a picture tomorrow, maybe.

Cache

Post by Cache » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:38 am

if you get a UC33 and set it up correctly you can have enough control over everything - i use that along with a korg and i have more than enough control - all tracks/sends/clips/ and sends. the limits are endless really.

stop whinging and start thinking!!!

pm me if you want more details...
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

forgie

Post by forgie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:08 am

How do you launch clips? I don't see a huge array of buttons on the UC33e....

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:51 am

the main problem with designing a dedicated Live controller - and I'm sure Ableton would agree with me on this - is that there are just as many ways of using Live as there are Live users.

Even if you just target the djs, some only use two tracks, some use 16, some use effects on busses, some use inserts, some prefer encoders, some prefer regular knobs, some prefer detented ones, some don't. Some want eq3, some want eq4, some like tons of buttons (LIKE ME!!!), some just want knobs and faders, some ONLY use rotaries....

get the picture? ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

robin

Post by robin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:58 am

Machinate wrote:the main problem with designing a dedicated Live controller - and I'm sure Ableton would agree with me on this - is that there are just as many ways of using Live as there are Live users.
exactly what i was going to say. everyone i know who uses Live uses it differently. so each controller would have to be different.

anyway, the faderfox lv2 is almost with us. that should suit a lot of people.

minimal

Post by minimal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:00 am

I don't expect ableton to make a midi controller *for me* in the same way I don't expect my mum to feed me anymore... I can do it by myself.
There are so much ready made controllers out there, and plenty of resources to build your own (uccaps.de for example).
Why should ableton waste money on R&D for a controller that would NEVER suit all customer's need? What is good for you is not good for me etc.
Take a look at what is available on the market now, you'll surely find something that can match your needs.

inis

Post by inis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:20 am

There is no point in ever making this because everyone uses ableton differently. If you want a controller for exactly how you use live, the only way to get it is to build it. Or start making angry posts at the MAwzer forum. Im pretty sure those guys are history though.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:27 pm

fwiw, this was where i was headed with a midibox project. the wind's out of my sails at this point, but might continue someday

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:37 pm

It's called the M-Audio Trigger Finger.

For me, at least.

I've made a setup for DJing, I use all the control elements and there's nothing more I need to control hands on..
For studio/production work, all I need sides it are some keys, but keys are cheep.
Cache wrote:stop whinging and start thinking!!!
Heh. Cache for president of the internet!

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:44 pm

Everyone uses Live differently, absolutely. But barring the number of channels we all run (which different MIDI mixer surfaces can take care of), everbody's user interface is made up of all the same pieces.
I've learned to get a lot out of the things I already have but it can always get better. I'm not whining about it or asking Ableton to become a hardware company, just thinking.