Ok... now I'm getting mad.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:45 pm

why do you want them to build a dedicated controler , if you are a producer using 50 tracks & 110 vst ,you might fell luke you have been left on the side if they make a controler for djs using 4 tracks & 5 fx .

there is many controlers like the uc33 or the bcf ,these controlers have probably been built because of live success .
the latest maudio daw is the perfect example of a hardware manufacturer making something built for live but don't label it live controler/daw not to lose any busyness from other soft users .

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Re: Ok... now I'm getting mad.

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:55 pm

funkdefino wrote:This is absurd!!! NAMM is upon us and we are all passed by again with no dedicated Ableton controller.

It really blows my mind that there is a GarageBand controller and no Ableton controller. The whole idea behind Live is being ...well ...live and not having a dedicated controller is really starting to piss me off.

Where's my torch and pitch fork!!!

ARGH! :evil:
Hmmm... I don't get your anger, man. You probably wouldn't want the same controller I do... or Supster does... or Machinate does... or DjAdonis does... Well you get the point.
funkdefino wrote:All of these should be analog controls. No rotary encoders.
Why?

Cheers,
Mikael

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:49 pm

forgie wrote:Hmmm, I'm an Electrical Engineer (well not officially, I'm still studying, but I'm working as one) and I've been thinking about this for a while now....

What would you guys want in an Ableton controller? What controls, and what layout? Making a 1st gen Midi controller with a pure Midi output really isn't that hard from an EE perspective. Adding USB makes things a little more complicated, however.....
Since you asked, my wholey unrealistic controller would be-

6 Channel Strips each with:
Volume Fader, 4 Pots, an endless rotary (with LED display) allowing you to change the MIDI channel for that strip, clip launch, track stop, mute etc buttons.

Master Section with:
Volume fader, pan pot, cue volume pot, tempo fader, master tempo nudge buttons (temporary change, for syncing to decks), transport controls.

Effect Section with
8 endless rotaries, with LED display to name parameters and values. This also assignable to any midi channel (updating parameter names obviously).

While you're at it, you might as well throw in a 4 in, 4 out firewire audio interface. And a touch screen lcd monitor to lauch clips.

Think that's about it, How much do you think that'll cost me then.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Not sure if this image link will work, but here's the drawing I'm throwing together today for my personal dream controller:

http://photobucket.com/albums/f321/John ... ough_1.jpg

-BIG slap tempo button + encoder
-Pitch bend Joystick + 4 buttons for clip nudge, keep/revert
-encoders for clip launch quantize, clip transpose, clip volume, clip start/end (with buttons), loop start/length (with buttons), and scene scroll
-faders for global groove & global quantize (buttons also for most-used quantize settings)
-Basic Mackie emulation via buttons for triggering
-big buttons for loop on/off and undo
-20 rows of buttons & 20 3-position switches for track select, track start-stop, and xfade A/B select
-crossfader (w/side buttons for cutting between A+B)
-arrangement transport controls
-optical trackball for when only the mouse can get it done

The whole thing would be a little bigger than a computer keyboard, and I would pair it with a mixer controller to cover all the more traditional functions. I know the drawing's a mess right now, but I'm revising as I go. Some of the Ableton screen grabs are still in there, but whatever. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:50 am

What we really need is an affordable version of the Mauser controller (er.. even just the Mauser controller to be released). If you don't know what the mauser is, it's a modular MIDI controller.

You pick the panels (buttons, faders, knobs, crossfader, etc) and arrange them as you like. The problem now IMO, is that everything is fixed in it's configuration, and made to try and meet everyone's needs. The result is that none of the controllers truly meet our specific needs the way we would all like.

12micsn1

Re: Ok... now I'm getting mad.

Post by 12micsn1 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:47 am

funkdefino wrote:This is absurd!!! NAMM is upon us and we are all passed by again with no dedicated Ableton controller.

It really blows my mind that there is a GarageBand controller and no Ableton controller. The whole idea behind Live is being ...well ...live and not having a dedicated controller is really starting to piss me off.

Where's my torch and pitch fork!!!

ARGH! :evil:
Total agree Brotherman!!! i would like to know why such a popular application such as Live doesnt have a dedicated controller? May i join you in your mob protest against empty heads who cant see the need of such a dedicated controller.
Vote for Pedro.

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:18 am

i have news from another forum (highly reliable source) that a well know house DJ (not Sasha style, but nevetheless) has done a mixer that will be presented at a club in London at the 24th of february. A friend of mine used it and said it feels like a perfect Ableton controller, no plasticy feel just a solid controller.

I have no other details at present but i will keep you posted.