Who's running Live 5 without problems - post here

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
eyeknow
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:16 am

Post by eyeknow » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:00 pm

I really don't have any "real" problems with live.

I do get the "poof" from time to time..............but it's not a show stoper.

The not starting in time new "feature" sucks, and I want it stopped.....but it's an annoyance not a show stopper.

I am on a desktop........it was a hot-rod 6 months ago and I think that helps.

Don't get me wrong, I think ableton needs to push the bug fixes up a bit........but I don't have any major issues.

minimal
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:57 am
Location: zh - switzerland
Contact:

Post by minimal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:34 pm

I do run live 5.0.1 on a fast computer, never had any enormous issues, and been using live since 3.0.1.
The augmented cpu hungriness was not an issue for me as when it was time to upgrade my desktop fried and I bought a laptop which is faster as my desktop.

I am kind of conservative meaning "do not upgrade a system that works" I don't feel the need to always have the latest version of whatever plugin etc, I avoid installing crap or non-music related things and I think that contributes as well for a general system stability.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:55 pm

supster wrote: i think in order for this to be helpful to ableton, people should be as detailed as possible.

not just system specs as detailed as possible

- equally importantly, how you are using it on an avg basis:

what kind of projects (just audio live? DJing a couple of tracks or 3 at most? writing full tracks from scratch? minimal techno, progressive, live guitar looping ... what...)

- how many channels of what type

- how many 3rd party plugs at a time, and what ones

some are, but some arent so far

otherwise its not very useful at this point, other than to proclaim to the world how joyful you are ... you know ....
.

it is usefull in the fact that it shows that it is *not* the majority of live 5 users that have problems. Of course we hear more from the vocally pissed off people such as yourself, but that does not mean that live 5 is somewhow flawed and the majority of people experience bugs, crashes, etc. I'm sorry that you and some others do have those problesm, and i hope they get fixed. But realistically that will happen by those of you with problems specifically reporting them and what your systems/plugins/audio interface/etc. That's easier than going thru all the systems that *do* work.


.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

siddhu
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:39 am
Location: surface of the earth
Contact:

Post by siddhu » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:10 am

supster wrote:i think in order for this to be helpful to ableton, people should be as detailed as possible.

not just system specs as detailed as possible

- equally importantly, how you are using it on an avg basis:

what kind of projects (just audio live? DJing a couple of tracks or 3 at most? writing full tracks from scratch? minimal techno, progressive, live guitar looping ... what...)

- how many channels of what type

- how many 3rd party plugs at a time, and what ones

some are, but some arent so far

otherwise its not very useful at this point, other than to proclaim to the world how joyful you are ... you know ....
.

I'm writing full tracks and using lots of VSTi's (see my post that started the thread for my set up).

I typically will have 10-12 tracks and use both the arranger view as well as session.

I'm also developing a live show with about 8 tracks of audio.

longjohns
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:42 pm
Location: seattle

Post by longjohns » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:21 am

yeah, i'm not sure how useful all this is, but what the heck

i don't have too many problems with live. the weak point of my setup is my aardvark lx-6, since they went out of business and so no driver updates. but removing sp2 has helped a lot with that, and i only occasionally lose the aardvark. when it does happen, it sometimes requires a hard reboot because somehow even though windows will remain semi-responsive, i sometimes lose the ability to run _anything_, including shutdown. (there seem to be different degrees of how hard it crashes)

anyways, i mostly rewire to reason, and don't use too many 3rd party plugs. i also mainly record into arrangement and use the prog as a multitracking tool. i don't do very much in session view at all, although i do occasionally record a few clips in session when just getting started on an idea.

just got a bcf2000 which i'm using in Mackie emulation over usb. also using an oxy8 via usb. my main keyboard goes in via the aardvark midi.

just today i disabled hyperthreading, and sure enough it shaved about 5% off the performance test

i use doubledawg to reset my video card timing to 96 (defaults to 256), although i honestly haven't noticed a difference from doing this. but at least i don't think it's hurting.

asus p4p800dlx
p4 2.6c SL6WH (currently running at 2.86, seems fine)
2x 512 pc3200 ddr (overclock is putting the ram at 440)
2x 80g seagate 7200rpm
aardvark lx-6
xp pro sp1

supster
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:26 am
Location: Orlando FL

Post by supster » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:45 am

leisuremuffin wrote:it is usefull in the fact that it shows that it is *not* the majority of live 5 users that have problems.

no it doesnt, how does a voluntary informal poll about who is/is not experiencing problems show that its a majority/minority either way.

espeically on a board that not everybody that uses the program is on on a regular basis or for that matter have ever used it at all .. not even close im sure.

people whos product is not working for some reason need a fix, for the sake of the customers - and the company - who are obligated to provide something that works, and for thier reputation in the marketplace (future sales)

people who dont have problems with a product ... we dont need to do anything for them. theyre happy, everything is fine.

so you dont need to show who or how many people are fine other than to

a) compare against people whos stuff is not working, for troubleshooting purposes

b) give a platform for them to make themselves feel warm and fuzzy

c) give them an opportunity to gloat

:lol:


a) is the only thing we care about

some people strongly give the impression that theyre about b) and c) on this board, because they get all in the middle of threads that dont concern them and dont add any real value to help solve anything

its very wierd i think
.
.
Last edited by supster on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

djsynchro
Posts: 7471
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:52 am

Without problems doesn't exist, software or hardware. Even a guitar can break a string!

But I am running Live 5 with very good, very stable performance.
In fact it's the best piece of music making gear I've ever used (And I've used a few)

:D

Anubis
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:06 pm
Location: Miami
Contact:

Post by Anubis » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:36 am

djadonis206 wrote:the only issue I have is the newly recorded loops starting (NOT) on the one from time to time but that's an easy fix
suburbanbather wrote:The only problem that I've noticed is the clips not starting at the beginning when restarting them.
eyeknow wrote:The not starting in time new "feature" sucks
I spend most of the time in the arrange view, once I use the session view as a sketch pad. This has been the only reason I haven't upgraded to Live 5 from 4.1.4 I honestly feel that Live is the best audio app that I have ever used. Rarely have I encountered any stability issues. Can someone explain the logic of this feature? Why was it implemented? What's the quick fix? Will it be "fixed" in 5.2?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:41 am

supster wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:it is usefull in the fact that it shows that it is *not* the majority of live 5 users that have problems.

no it doesnt, how does a voluntary informal poll about who is/is not experiencing problems show that its a majority/minority either way.

espeically on a board that not everybody that uses the program is on on a regular basis or for that matter have ever used it at all .. not even close im sure.

people whos product is not working for some reason need a fix, for the sake of the customers - and the company - who are obligated to provide something that works, and for thier reputation in the marketplace (future sales)

people who dont have problems with a product ... we dont need to do anything for them. theyre happy, everything is fine.

so you dont need to show who or how many people are fine other than to

a) compare against people whos stuff is not working, for troubleshooting purposes

b) give a platform for them to make themselves feel warm and fuzzy

c) give them an opportunity to gloat

:lol:


a) is the only thing we care about

some people strongly give the impression that theyre about b) and c) on this board, because they get all in the middle of threads that dont concern them and dont add any real value to help solve anything

its very wierd i think
.
.

what's weird is that you are so convinced that live 5 is fatally flawed for the majority of users that you jump into this thread and suggest that the people posting in it send their system information to live so they can fix it. That's just nuts. Yeah, i jump into threads where people are saying crazy over the top shit (live 5 is unusably full of bugs, crashes all the time etc. etc.) and point out that live 5 works for me and a lot of other people, and maybe they should see if their issues are related to something other than the live 5 software itself. And also to point out the difference between not liking the CPU consumption and bugs/instability.

i would suspect that this thread is in part a reaction to a lot of the posts that are just slagging off live with no actual specifics mentioned (not your posts, i know you mention specifics, i feel for you, but i suspect you are in the minority).



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

supster
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:26 am
Location: Orlando FL

Post by supster » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:51 am

what's weird is that you are so convinced that live 5 is fatally flawed for the majority of users that you jump into this thread and suggest that the people posting in it send their system information to live so they can fix it. That's just nuts.
:lol: i love this ...

no, not a majority of users - theres no way to say either way. but an awful lot of people, way more than there should be, old people new people consistantly lots of people posting the same things same issues over and over again, every single day.

its not that complicated. you defend the honor of the company like Live is your girlfriend and ableton are sitting on mt olympus and we are blaspheming the holy temple

geeezus :roll:

we're just trying to get our shit fixed, we're not laying a turd on thier doorstep
Yeah, i jump into threads where people are saying crazy over the top shit (live 5 is unusably full of bugs, crashes all the time etc. etc.) and point out that live 5 works for me and a lot of other people, and maybe they should see if their issues are related to something other than the live 5 software itself.
WONDERFUL!!! please, please PLEASE figure out what the conflicts are for us because honestly if there is some setting or driver or holy incantation that is not abletons responsibilty, tell use - then we can use it to fix this so we can work again.

thats all we want. but nobody out of hundreds of people out of the last 6 months has given us a single thing that will work .... man you read all these threads, how many times do people have to say it

you and a couple of the others on this board, your inabiltiy to empathize with other people that are not exactly the same as yours ... its like a severe myopia man, theres a word for it: narcissim.
i would suspect that this thread is in part a reaction to a lot of the posts that are just slagging off live with no actual specifics mentioned (not your posts, i know you mention specifics,


thats great. im happy people that need a group hug have a place to gather and express the deep emotions and hurt feelings that some of us unbelievers have inflamed over the past few months. its healthy, let it out.

it just so happens that the key to any conflicts that might be causing the audio glitching at low loads, or the arrange grid stickiness that hundreds or thousands of people other than yourself are experiencing ... it might just be in this thread.
i feel for you,
oh. thanks. well maybe its not actual narcissim after all then.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

forgie
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:10 am

Post by forgie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:57 am

Yo, supster, chill man. If people want to give themselves a warm fuzzy feeling, then let them. It would only be through your own insecurity that you feel you have to bring these people down. To quote John Lennon: "Let it be". Animosity doesn't help anyone. I know you're frustrated, as are quite a few people on this forum. Even if people are being wankers, let them. There's no point in arguing. (btw I'm not saying that they are)

I have no problems on both my 1.33Ghz iBook and my 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 in terms of glitches and audio dropout. That said, GUI performance is pretty crap, especially on my iBook. If I have a high track count (more then 8) or a high CPU usage (more then about 60%) then shit gets very sluggish, very quickly). Obviously I can't get anywhere near the amount of plugin power that I could in Logic or any other DAW.

supster
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:26 am
Location: Orlando FL

Post by supster » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:05 am

forgie wrote:Yo, supster, chill man. If people want to give themselves a warm fuzzy feeling, then let them. It would only be through your own insecurity that you feel you have to bring these people down. To quote John Lennon:
:lol: :lol: (not laughing at you, but the situation) no i have no problem with people with wanting warm fuzzies, im not trying to let anybody down

we're on this board everyday trying to troubleshoot technical problems with software, thats all

its hilarious that we say "hmm man this sucks, i cant fix this problem, can you help?" and other people come along and say "how dare you say that! of course you dont have a real problem, it has to be your fault! obviously!"

... and then have absolutely no clue what the answer is, if they really have a clue what the problem is in the first place 8O :lol:

like i said, im having a ball with it. its like nerd wars. Blue Team vs Red Team.

.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

MrYellow
Posts: 1887
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:10 am
Contact:

Post by MrYellow » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:12 am

Where is henry ford?

Warm happy feelings? Sure.... A lot of people are sick of hearing the same
few people on every single thread bitchin bout totally unrelated issues.

If you have a reproducible bug, post every little tiny detail on the bugs
forum, get some devs working with you by providing them info.

Bitching bout it all over the place without even bothering to try and track
down the problem is just pointless.

Debugging software isn't the easiest thing to do, especially with so many
different systems out there and so many different setups. If the bug is very
particular to hardware and OS then you really need to give ableton every
little details. 3 people post using the same bit of gear or the same poorly
setup windows option, or an old OS, or whatever and it quickly becomes
easier to reproduce the bug and fix it.

Saying "live is shit" on every thread doesn't help anyone.

-Ben

radeon
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Post by radeon » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:46 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I wish to explain in good english this is frustrate.

I imaginings there is confused with bugs and cpu performance + how maany audio and vst track is playing. It is not really bugs that is the big problems it is the cpu performance and can make bugs seem more bad than they are. With session intense for live with multi vst and plugs and audio and midi track working with live is big horror and I thinking this is when big probems start.
I tell no lies. I have two fast computer G5 and PC both work with live terrible. This is different computers from last year. I use different hardware soundcard from last year'' and now it is same. I have pts hd logic cubase reason NONE show the problems Like I get with live and Live 4 has no problem except when heavy session. That is no my imagination or a lie for none reasons 8)

None of you cant say when busy screen live become very sloooooow gui. That is not a bug its is how it workings but this is frustrate. I want to be fixed. it slow me down

radeon
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Post by radeon » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:55 am

MrYellow wrote:Where is henry ford?

Warm happy feelings? Sure.... A lot of people are sick of hearing the same
few people on every single thread bitchin bout totally unrelated issues.


Saying "live is shit" on every thread doesn't help anyone.

-Ben
Saying Live 5 workings perfect on every thread doesnt help anyone.
There is to many peoples who think ableton is most greatest daw company ever they becomeing like a following of jesus and nothing ableton do is ever wrong. people know this who dont come here. Live has becoming the new Cubase sx1. it had many problem like live 5. Today some people still say sx1 never had any problem. See how it workings.? Steinberg would now tell truths and tell sx1 was big on bugs.

Post Reply