Anyone running distributed computing for music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:38 pm

yes, my machines are just sitting here linked via gigabit anyway, so i'm definitely going to give this a try. if nothing else, it sounds fun

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:44 pm

well, my first go at this was definitely not fun. crashed live every time it tried to scan any of the wrapper vst's. so then i tried it in energy xt because at least it would not require a reboot to try again.

finally got the LAN vst's to load in eXt, but could never get any audio back into the host.

any ideas? although i find networking to be enough of a PIA that i'm really skeptical that i'd ever want to spend 100$ on this program. it'd have to work really slick.

edit: ok now i got some audio but it seems i'd need to add vsts gradually and weed out the nasties. i don't know...

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:21 pm

It works fine, but it definitely will take some troubleshooting on your part... especially if you have some vst's the aren't up to spec. Keep trying them out.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:49 pm

the best solution that gives a lot of power i found was to use an adat card on 2 computers & run chainer (http://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html) on the spare pc .
when i need the full power of some fx ,i just plug adat in to adat out & the other way ,then i adjust live's track delay comp .here we go .does not work for vsti .
once i am on a mixing stage in a track i sometime use this setting if i use a lot of heavy chanel strips.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:07 pm

BUMP!

Well, I spent some time now and got some extra machines setup and running MIDI Over Lan and it works great, no latency except whatever the system you run it on allready has.

So now I can run a ton of heavy plugins, layer 2 or more plugins with heavy effects on them so they are using like 50% cpu and the main system is sitting at something like 10% cpu and I can use flaky plugins that sometimes crashes without worrying about the main system, this is sweet :D

Only thing I need to figure out is how to easily send program changes to the remote VSTs since Live does not have a way to specify program changes when there is no plugin on the track.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:34 pm

Can someone post a link to Forte?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Forte Website: http://www.brainspawn.com/

It's awesome btw 8)