Interview COLDCUT about ableton..what am i missing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GK

Interview COLDCUT about ableton..what am i missing

Post by GK » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:21 am

Auto-Warping and Live Clips

"Live 5's ability to batch auto-warp tracks is a big time-saver. I've just been batch-warping my entire MP3 collection. In the past, we spent quite a lot of time manually doing that. o­ne other very important thing is being able to paste different Live songs together and take elements from o­ne Live composition and merge them into another. That was really holding us back in the past, and now we're able to do that a lot more flexibly, so that's a big result as well."

http://mix-tapes.de/modules.php?op=modl ... =0&thold=0

--------------------------------------------------

.... is this just...a lie?....
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:29 am

Right click in file browser. Analyse Audio.

-Ben

GK

Post by GK » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:30 am

yeah but it doesnt place correct warp markers or sometimes it doesnt place warp markers at all and you have to do them step by step..

thats what i was referring to
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:56 am

but you will surely have some interesting results by mixing tracks that were only autowarped and not checked afterwards, hehe.

It works like charme on boring techno/housetracks. Maybe you have to tell Live where the first beat starts.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:28 pm

alot of the time live is autowarping tracks at half their tempo

GK

Post by GK » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:04 pm

pepezabala wrote:but you will surely have some interesting results by mixing tracks that were only autowarped and not checked afterwards, hehe.

It works like charme on boring techno/housetracks. Maybe you have to tell Live where the first beat starts.
well 100% of my tracks are house-techno-minimal tracks...
but maybe cause they are ripped from vinyl[and they're shifting] i guess many markers are needed in order to be flawless..

hm? :roll:

HH the Dalai Lama

sqook

Post by sqook » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:12 pm

GK wrote:yeah but it doesnt place correct warp markers or sometimes it doesnt place warp markers at all and you have to do them step by step..

thats what i was referring to
If by "sometimes", you must mean "all the time". :)

GK

Post by GK » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:59 pm

well , i ve analyzed....like..200? dance tracks , and it must have analyzed like 20 in its own... is this sometimes?or..seldom?..
dont get me wrong i'm trying to figure out warping from this conversation cause i have like 200 tracks in front of me that i want to warp...:(:(:(

HH the Dalai Lama

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:51 pm

henry ford wrote:alot of the time live is autowarping tracks at half their tempo
I've noticed this too. Whe this happens, can't you just press the button to make it half or double time?

I don't usually mix dance songs, so I usually just tweak a Lot of warp markers.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:06 pm

If it's a track that was recenly produced, came from digital source (CD wav mp3) and it has good defined beat then you usually only have to:

- Adjust the first marker
- Find the last beat in the track and adjust the marker.

Most of the time it will be good now. (But do check with the metronome around the start, beginning, and end of the track. Sometimes you have to put more markers. Read the section about what the right-click menu is about! (Warp from here, warp as etc.)

It's not 100% automatic but it's a giant leap forward from having to manually put a marker every 16 or 32 bars.

Vinyl drifts. Acoustic tracks drift Older electronic stuff done on an Atari might drift even. (I was going to mash up an old ABBA song, it needs a warp marker on EVERY SINGLE BEAT!)

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:02 pm

mash up an abba song? man, you are EXTREME! :wink:
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:07 pm

pepezabala wrote:but you will surely have some interesting results by mixing tracks that were only autowarped and not checked afterwards, hehe.
:lol: that was pretty funny! :lol:

GK

Post by GK » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:40 pm

a thought since many of us have the same problem [with vinyl rips]:

How could we...place our markers on the problematic song , and then save it as a new recording....with a 99% correct-stable bpm?...

HH the Dalai Lama

robin

Post by robin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:11 pm

It doesn't matter if the rip is from vinyl or not....in fact the slight variation on vinyl can help with the autowarp. Tracks with real drummers fair better thancompletely electronic tracks a lot of the time.

The autowarp feature to me just helps get the tempo correct. The actual position of the markers, by and large, is fairly useless (if it does get things right then selecting all warp markers and shifting them all is required).

GK

Post by GK » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:22 pm

well what i see sometimes is that live places lots of markers , and what i do is place the 1st marker ON-beat and then 'Warp From here[straight]' and it works just fine.......

HH the Dalai Lama