song arrangement problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eturnol

song arrangement problem

Post by eturnol » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:10 pm

Hey guys im having a problem with an arrangement of a song. I really like the idea of the song, and think it has lots of potential, but i have no idea where to go with it.

paste this into your browser:

http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=01VA ... SYMN65I3LF

you can hear that it is basically one huge buildup, with a guitar kicking in at the end. This is all fine and good, but what do i do with the rest of the song? the only thing i can think of is bringing it back down, and then building it up again. But doing this makes it seem like the song is just an intro repeated twice. However, i think that if i tried to do something else, it would lack the energy of the first build, and the rest of the song would pale in comparison.

what should i do? any advice would be appreciated!

Ben

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:56 pm

might i suggest some kind of fresh harmonic rhythm after the build up (like chaznge of chords 2x a bar)

you could use the last chord played as the first chord, but then go somewhere unexpected.

eturnol

song arrangement

Post by eturnol » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:57 pm

thanks for the tips songcarver. in your mind, are you envisioning a more of a synth sound or a guitar sound for the harmonic rhythm?

how about after that though? Do you think i should bring it down and build it up again like a dance song, or have changeups like a rock song?

thanks for the feedback tho!

Ben

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:25 am

ah, by harmonic rhythm i am referring to the speed at which the chords change. currently the harmony changes once every bar. maybe you could try making the harmony change twice a bar.

guitar or synth, or both, or none... it's all up to you! try a few things. Just find ways to leverage that which you already have. ask yourself: how can i turn it upside down, inside out, reverse it, speed it up, slow it down, chop it around, add something new and contrast the two?

:-)