(OT) Starbucks Delocator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smutek

(OT) Starbucks Delocator

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:37 am

eddit

Post by eddit » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:47 am

Awesome.

We need one for clubs.

drush

Post by drush » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:57 am

nice

although their definition of "near" is a bit liberal

subfiddle

Post by subfiddle » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:15 am

This is great - I agree with drush tho, needs a more specific range.
Be our friend at http://www.myspace.com/bombergirlband ||| Our main toys: Mac Dual Core, 2.3ghz, 3.5gbs ram, Reason 3.0.4, TC Powercore FX/Instruments, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.0.1, Stylus RMX, LinPlug Instruments

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:19 pm

Great idea! How I hate Starbucks.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:20 pm

FORMAT wrote:Great idea! How I hate Starbucks.
I've always wondered how people can drink it. It tastes like coffe-flavored water... Really. There are sooo many better independent roasters who actually have coffee that is rich with flavor.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:51 pm

the_planet wrote:
FORMAT wrote:Great idea! How I hate Starbucks.
I've always wondered how people can drink it. It tastes like coffe-flavored water... Really. There are sooo many better independent roasters who actually have coffee that is rich with flavor.
You're right, and it's just over-present everywhere - that alone makes it a no-go for me.
you also making music with a Strat?

R.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:01 pm

I feel like I should comment on Starbucks - having lived in the city since it's inception I think it's cool a local company did good ~ no reason to hate on your own

Personally I only drink their coffee when I go out of town or am in a serious pinch

but yes, there is better coffee (especially in Seattle)

My personal favorite is Vivace on Capitol Hill next to the US BANK - the best coffee from coast to coast hands down

It's funny the amount of Starbuck haters there are but starbucks still keeps opening stores (I haven't actually seen one close in the greater seattle area) - hmmmmm

Seattle Best and Tully's is Nasty compared to Starbucks

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

heliumbaboon

Post by heliumbaboon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:09 pm

Wow. "92 Starbucks Stores found within 5 miles of 77006." Can this be correct?

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:33 pm

yeah, totally correct. the site shows 125 'near' me, one of them being the world headquarters. though ironically, in my immediate neighborhood here in seattle there are none. zero. why? 1. because my neighborhood is outside their target demographic (meaning not predominantly white professionals). and 2. the market hasn't been totally tested by an independent shop yet. i worked at starbucks in the design department for a short period back in the day, and found that one of the ways they test markets is by checking out other coffee shops, and finding whose business they could steal. they aren't the worst company in the world by any stretch. but why drink there when you can go right next door and get a better cup of coffee for the same price, with better atmosphere, and give your money to independent business people instead of a huge corporation? beats me why people love it so much...oh wait. its addictive!

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 pm

good point

Here's the thing - I know where the good coffee is in Seattle - If I lived in Shoreline or Tacoma I'd still travel to my spot on Capitol Hill

So...when I leave the state of Washington I have no clue what the bomb coffee is and where it is

So, since I'm proud of where I live I just go to Starbucks (there's one on every corner correct)

ever tried to get a good Latte on South Beach - the Starbucks at the end of Ocean drive does it right everytime

Not all mom and pop coffee shops are good, most are mediocre

It's either Vivace or bust for this kid - but if I have to I'll send some money back home to Seattle

late

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:09 pm

Thank you.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:20 pm

LOFA wrote:Thank you.
PGH - Pittsburg?

curious because I'm from Seattle

curious

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:21 pm

no doubt. starbucks can't be faulted for making bad coffee. when i worked there i had to have a session with the professional tasters, and they were some hard core folks...seriously dedicated to making great coffee. that's one of the difference between starbucks and other huge corporations: starbucks actually cares that their product is quality (unlike mcdonalds or walmart or whoever).

heliumbaboon

Post by heliumbaboon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:15 pm

Down the street from me there are two Starbucks at the same intersection, literally across the street from each other. Seems so silly. I'm neutral about the place really, but I do like more atmosphere with my coffee than they have to offer.