Ableton live 5 complete? music solution

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Electric Trancer
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Moscow
Contact:

Post by Electric Trancer » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:48 pm

You're wrong. Its superb solution. For me its better than Cubase SX. it works and does all things better for me. i love the Operator, i love Live.
Laptop (ASUS) P4-1.5 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HDD + M-Audio Audiophile Firewire

henry ford
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:30 am

Post by henry ford » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:43 am

heh,,,a superb solution it may be, but is it complete ? After all, you have to pay extra for operator. You would'nt be running a cracked version would you ?

DeadlyKungFu
Posts: 3603
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:26 pm

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:03 am

henry ford wrote:heh,,,a superb solution it may be, but is it complete ? After all, you have to pay extra for operator. You would'nt be running a cracked version would you ?
Simpler and Impulse are free, and you're in the severe minority if you don't already have other REAL instruments (guitar, drums, bass, turntable, synth).

$100 for operator is no big deal, people will whine about anything, some people more than others, some have only one purpose, to make the rest of us miserable.

Anyway, if you can't find FREE synths, drum machines and FX online you probably can't operate Live in the first place, best pack it up and get back on the little yellow school bus.

Live is the coolest thing to happen to my music hobby ever. I can do anything with Live and I learn new stuff all the time.

Can't change time signatures? Do the math and find the lowest common denominator between said time signatures and go from there. But it is more of a groove tool than a classical/jazz music composer (the horror).

<doesn't like it when people diss his lovely Live. :evil: Too many haters on this board.>

henry ford
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:30 am

Post by henry ford » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:51 am

... its not complete. it costs more money to make it complete. Reason, is complete. Logic is complete. Cubase is complete. Sonar is complete. Why ? because they come with synths & samplers included/provided. Getting into the merits of live5 is a whole other discussion as far as I'm concerned, my only concern on this thread is to illustrate that it is not, as the title suggests, complete. It says complete on the box, but when you install it...its not complete. no synth, not complete.

Besides, many of the people who defiantly champhion live5 as people experience problems, admittedly only use live5 in singular and certain ways, only utilising a portion of the elements ableton promise to deliver in its 'complete music solution', yet they insist everything is rosey and indeed, complete. If a product is sold as complete, it should function as such (and in computer audio terms it should have at least one synth) , and every far reaching task of the program should operate to a satisfactory standard as promised, baring in mind the sys requirements posted on their website and probably printed somewhere on the box.

Thats just what I think a 'complete music solution' should be. This is with no bias, positive or negative. Its just my opinion on the word 'complete'. It should mean exactly that, I'm not about to pretend live is complete just because I like its uses. It might be great, amazing, fantastic, frustrating (bugs) ...but it's not complete. I dont believe in mincing words, especially when wads of cash are involved.

eddit
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:59 am
Location: Munich, Germany

Post by eddit » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 am

it is THE definitive software audio solution...

for doing stuff in an ableton kind of way...

A bicycle or public transport is arguably THE mode of transport if you live in many european cities etc, because it sucks to have a car.

No one can argue that cars are better BECAUSE they are more powerful, just like no one can argue that a bicycle is a great way to travel around the north pole. And it is awesome fun to go and ride a bike, it makes you smile
:D :D :D :D :D :D
The sheer simplicity makes it fun, but then alot of people will also have a car for when it rains

(please post any URLs about people who have actually ridden a bike around the arctic ice sheet, I amsure there is a web ring out there for it)

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 am

reason is complete?

it can't even record and playback audio tracks....


I'm so tired of this shit. I use every feature of the fucking program, although in a way that minimizes cpu usage and am satisfied. please shut the fuck up unless you actually have something productive to say. All of this bashing of the program accomplishes nothing for you or anyone else who has problems with it. except for making you look like assholes.



does pro tools come with synths? does DP?


what the fuck ever man.



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:27 am

BTW, speaking of wads of cash, isn't logic 1000 fucking dollars?




.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

henry ford
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:30 am

Post by henry ford » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:29 am

did i suggest DP or protools were complete?

nope.


why are you so narky ? You might be pissed off that people complain, but trust in this, you would be alot more pissed off if you shared their experience.

henry ford
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:30 am

Post by henry ford » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:30 am

leisuremuffin wrote:BTW, speaking of wads of cash, isn't logic 1000 fucking dollars?
ya it is. whats your point? You clearly missed mine. Does that mean ableton, or any other company can stick the word 'complete' on their product, just because they have a cheaper price tag ?

what a retarded rationale.
Last edited by henry ford on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:31 am

how bout reason?



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

henry ford
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:30 am

Post by henry ford » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:33 am

it cant record audio?
edit: its a moot point anyways, propeller heads dont seem to be pitching reason as a complete music solution.

so you can scratch it off my initial list, it was only included to illustrate a point which I believe was put across with logic, cubase, sonar
Last edited by henry ford on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:33 am

I'm narky because all some of you cats do is complain.


.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:34 am

have you fucking used reason?

no it can't record and playback audio tracks.


You can use audio you've recorded elsewhere in it's samplers, but you cant record anything into the program.



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:37 am

henry ford wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:BTW, speaking of wads of cash, isn't logic 1000 fucking dollars?
ya it is. whats your point? You clearly missed mine. Does that mean ableton, or any other company can stick the word 'complete' on their product, just because they have a cheaper price tag ?

what a retarded rationale.
I'll quote this so i don't have to keep up with your edits.



If it is, then it's only as retarded as your rationale of "not mincing words if wads of cash are involved." You can make a song from start to finish in ableton live. that *is* complete.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

charvel-floyd
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:24 pm

Post by charvel-floyd » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:39 am

henry ford wrote:it cant record audio?
edit: its a moot point anyways, propeller heads dont seem to be pitching reason as a complete music solution.

so you can scratch it off my initial list, it was only included to illustrate a point which I believe was put across with logic, cubase, sonar
Henry is right, it's not complete....IT'S BETTER THAN COMPLETE. Honestly, I consider Live to be another instrument, DAW and songwriting tool all in one. I'm not even sure I enjoy my guitars as much.

Post Reply